StringStripWS with $STR_STRIPALL shows an unexpected behavior

Musashi

Question :

The  StringStripWS function  contains the statement, Flag : $STR_STRIPALL (8) = strip all spaces (over-rides all other flags)

In the German forum @Professor_Bernd wrote me, that this is an incorrect description. A test we made revealed, that it seems to be exactly the other way around. $STR_STRIPALL gets overwritten by all other flags.

Example :

#include <StringConstants.au3>
Local $sOriginal = "   A   sentence   with   whitespace.    " , $sOutput

ConsoleWrite(" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite("+ Original : <" & $sOriginal & ">" & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite(" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPLEADING) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("> >>>>>>> 1. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPLEADING" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPTRAILING) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("> >>>>>>> 2. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPTRAILING" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPSPACES) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("> >>>>>>> 3. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPSPACES" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPLEADING + $STR_STRIPTRAILING + $STR_STRIPSPACES) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("> >>>>>>> 4. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPLEADING + STRIPTRAILING + STRIPSPACES" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPALL) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("> >>>>>>> 5. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPALL" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPALL + $STR_STRIPLEADING) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("! >>>>>>> 6. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPALL + STRIPLEADING" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPALL + $STR_STRIPTRAILING) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("! >>>>>>> 7. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPALL + STRIPTRAILING" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPALL + $STR_STRIPSPACES) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("! >>>>>>> 8. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPALL + $STR_STRIPSPACES" & @CRLF)
$sOutput = StringFormat("%-40s", StringStripWS($sOriginal, $STR_STRIPALL + $STR_STRIPLEADING + $STR_STRIPTRAILING + $STR_STRIPSPACES) & ">")
ConsoleWrite("! >>>>>>> 9. <" & $sOutput & "==> STRIPALL + STRIPLEADING + STRIPTRAILING + STRIPSPACES" & @CRLF)

Is this behavior already known, or have we possibly misunderstood something. Any clarification is welcome.

TIA @Musashi and @Professor_Bernd

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

34 minutes ago, Musashi said:

Is this behavior already known

..no clue myself. But I never thought of going higher than $STR_STRIPALL (8), nor would find a reason to. Nonetheless is unexpected and if you feel it needs correction you can open a ticket after searching if is there any open describing that.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

6 hours ago, argumentum said:

But I never thought of going higher than $STR_STRIPALL (8), nor would find a reason to.

I've never done that before as well, so my first answer was :

"Since $STR_STRIPALL removes ALL blanks, the statement "over-rides all other flags" seems logical to me. Example: $STR_STRIPALL + $STR_STRIPLEADING ==> with $STR_STRIPALL there are no more leading spaces to remove."

However, the test (see above) has shown that $STR_STRIPALL will be ignored, if one of the other flags is set. Perhaps it is just a misinterpretation of the word over-rides, as @BugFix suspects (in the DE forum).

For me over-rides all other flags means, that $STR_STRIPALL has a higher priority than the other flags - but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll wait and see what e.g. @Jos has to say about that, before I open a ticket.

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

11 hours ago, Musashi said:

For me over-rides all other flags means, that $STR_STRIPALL has a higher priority than the other flags ....

I'll wait and see what e.g. @Jos has to say about that, before I open a ticket. 

Just for the record : The description "over-rides all other flags" is, strictly taken, not correct (by the way : shouldn't it be written "overrides" ?)

However, as @argumentum already pointed out, there is no practical reason to combine $STR_STRIPALL with the other flags. We will therefore only replace the text of the german Help, from (translated) "over-rides all other flags" with "the use of the other flags is obsolete". The whole issue is of little importance anyway (no need for a ticket). ;).

Musashi-C64.png