AutoIT Web and Windows App Testing

Hi guys,

I'm new to AutoIT and haven't created any yet. I'm currently researching if autoIT can do the testing that I need and I I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and input on this. Here's my requirement:

- Testing will be done on new devices (laptop/desktops) every time there are windows updates or simply if they are new. This means I need the script to be portable and can easily be executed with minimal dependancies

- Testing will include launching of Windows Applications, Internet Explorer and Chrome Browsers. Does AutoIT require me to install anything additional on new devices?

- Does AutoIT support external data such as from an excel sheet? Or other way to feed of list of links that I need to test. This way I can manage them easily.

- Idea on test reporting?

Thank you guys for any help you can give.

@patrickso, welcome to AutoIt and to the forum.

AutoIt complies with all of your requirements. AutoIt script can be compiled to a single standalone executable. for browser automation, you might want to start reading the WebDriver topic. AutoIt ships with an excellent Excel UDF (and many others).

i'd advise you install AutoIt on your development environment, start by writing something very simple, like a MsgBox(), browse the excellent help file, then start coding your script. ask the forum for some more specific information when you come to need it.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

@patrickso

Answering to your questions:

1) If you don't have any external dipendence in your script, you can compile it and use wherever you want; otherwise, you have to use FileInstall();

2) Everything depends on what you need to do.

By the way, AutoIt, as @orbs already told you, there is WebDriver UDF to automate the major browsers;

3) Yes.

AutoIt supports Excel automation using Excel UDF, which you can find in the Help file too; through that, you can open, read, writr, and export a worksheet, and a lot of other things;

4) Log files would be a good starting point :)

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

To start with WebDriver I suggest to have a look at the wiki tutorial.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki