Verify ControlClick and ControlSetText

Im working on a program to enter automatically a lot of config from a excel file. From there everything work i was just wandering if there any way to verify if a click as worked fine? Sometime my ControlClick dont work. First i put some Sleep(100) after every click then I worked with WinWait and the name of the window. Is there any other way or a best practice to this? Since a change from sleep to WinWait, my program stop when a click is not register and i need to click manually to make it go again (Instead of continue clicking without the right window open).

If you need any more information to answer simply ask! Im kinda new to programming and autoit.

Thank you!

PS: Sry for my bad language, English is a second language

Hard to answer.

What type of application are you trying to enter your config in. Au3inf info will help or check some things in faq 31. After a click you have to check that things changef which can be 

- check if controls dissapeared

- check if color changed in certain regions

How is anyone supposed to be able to tell you what the problem(s) with your script may be without seeing your script or at least the relevant parts?  Any suggestions would be pure speculation without seeing any code.  For instance, I could speculate that you probably aren't doing much, if any, checking of return codes after your functions.  But as I said, that would be pure speculation.  :muttley: 

Edited by TheXman

Func AddItem()
    For $rowIndex = 1 To UBound($ImportedItem,1)-1
        $hwnd = WinActivate("Window 1")
        ControlClick("","", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:5]")                                   ; Click Add (Open new Window)
        WinWait("Window 2")
        ControlSetText("","","[CLASS:Edit; INSTANCE:1]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][1])       ; Add Description
        If $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][2] <> "" Then
            ControlSetText("","","[CLASS:Edit; INSTANCE:2]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][2])   ; Add Description 2
        EndIf
        ControlClick("","", "[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]")                            ; Switch into SysTreeView
        Send("F")
        WinWait("Window 2", "Product::Fonction")
        ControlSend("", "", "[CLASS:ComboBox; INSTANCE:1]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][3])    ; Set Info 1
        ControlSend("", "", "[CLASS:ComboBox; INSTANCE:2]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][4])    ; Set Info 2
        ControlSend("", "", "[CLASS:ComboBox; INSTANCE:4]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][5])    ; Set Info 3
        ControlClick("", "", "[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]")
        Send("C")
        Send("C")
        WinWait("Window 2", "Configuration")
        ControlClick("", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:1]")                                  ; Open new Window
        WinWait("Window 3")
        ControlClick("", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:2]")                                  ; Close Window 3 and open Window 4
        WinWait("Window 4")
        ControlSetText("","","[CLASS:Edit; INSTANCE:1]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][6])       ; Set Info
        ControlClick("", "", "[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]")                           ; Change SysTreeView
        Send("I")
        For $NPrinter = 1 to 9                                                              ; Set Multiple info inside the same place
            If $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][$NPrinter + 6] <> "" Then
                ControlSend("", "", "[ClASS:ComboBox; INSTANCE:$NPrinter]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][$NPrinter + 6])
            EndIf
        Next
        ControlClick("", "", "[CLASS:SysTreeView32; INSTANCE:1]")                           ; Change SysTreeView
        Send("R")
        WinWait("Window 4", "Section 3")
        ControlClick("", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:6]")                                  ; Set info if needed
        If $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][16] <> "" Then
            ControlSend("", "", "[CLASS:ComboBox; INSTANCE:3]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][16])
        EndIf
        ControlClick("", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:54]")                                 ; Close Window 3
        ModeItem()                                                                          ;
        ControlClick("", "", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:39]")                                 ; Close Window 2
        Sleep(200)
        ChangeSecondaryProgress()
    Next
EndFunc

Func ModeItem()
    ControlClick("","", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:4]")   ; Click Copy
    WinWait("ModeItemWindow")
    ControlClick("","", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:1]")   ; Check Box 1
    ControlClick("","", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:2]")   ; Check Box 2
    ControlClick("","", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:3]")   ; Check Box 3
    ControlClick("","", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:4]")   ; Click ok to close
    WinWaitClose("ModeItemWindow")
EndFunc

I was able to change some value to send you part of my code.
There a lot of window opening and closing and sometime the "OK" button get highlight but not pressed. The code stop and wait for me to manually press it. It happen 2-3 time every 50 entry.  That part is about 1/8 of the manipulation and the problem appear everywhere but not always.

@TheXman You seems to talk about return in function what do you mean? Like i said im kinda new to programming :S

Edited by MikiiTakagi

26 minutes ago, MikiiTakagi said:

You seems to talk about return in function what do you mean? Like i said im kinda new to programming :S

If you look in the help file for any given function, most will show what the return value is if the function was successful and it will show the value returned if it was unsuccessful.  In addition, if the function sets @error, it will show you what @error is set to if the function fails.  So if you want to know if a function is successful or not, the first thing you should do is check its return value or @error.  For instance, ControlClick returns a 1 if successful and 0 if unsuccessful.  ControlClick doesn't set @error so you don't need to take it into consideration.  So to code defensively, you could use something like one of the following examples:

If Not ControlClick(...) Then
    ;Do some error processing
EndIf

or

If ControlClick(...) = 0 Then
EndIf

or

Local $iReturnValue

$iReturnValue = ControlClick(...)
If $iReturnValue = 0 Then
EndIf

A lot of the examples that are given to users in the forum do not contain error checking.  It's probably for several reason.  One is probably just for brevity.  Two, it's implied that the person requesting help will provide the error checking.  Three, the "helper" has no idea what type of error processing needs to take place.  So that is why you don't see much error checking in forum responses.  However, if you look inside any UDFs, you will most likely see extensive error checking. 

Edited by TheXman

Do I need to write the ControlClick before the if to click then verify or the if will manage the Click if all the info is put into the "()"?

The edit you just did answered my question!

I get what you mean and gonna try it tomorrow thank for the info! Very appreciate the help!

I got about 200 clicks to do is there any way to make it easier or i need to make it for every click? Just wanna learn something more :P!

Edited by MikiiTakagi

7 minutes ago, MikiiTakagi said:

Do I need to write the ControlClick before the if to click then verify or the if will manage the Click if all the info is put into the "()"?

It is up to you.  As long as the function is syntactically correct, it can be within the If statement as a shown above or below.  All of the following examples will work exactly the same.  Which way you choose to do it is just a matter of style.

If Not ControlSend("", "", "[CLASS:ComboBox; INSTANCE:1]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][3]) Then
EndIf

OR

Local $iReturnValue

$iReturnValue = ControlSend("", "", "[CLASS:ComboBox; INSTANCE:1]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][3])
If $iReturnValue = 0 Then
EndIf

OR

Local $iReturnValue

$iReturnValue = ControlSend("", "", "[CLASS:ComboBox; INSTANCE:1]", $ImportedItem[$rowIndex][3])
If Not $iReturnValue Then
EndIf

Edited by TheXman

21 hours ago, MikiiTakagi said:

I got about 200 clicks to do is there any way to make it easier or i need to make it for every click? Just wanna learn something more :P!

If the error processing for a failed ControlClick will always be the same, then you could wrap all of your ControlClick functionality into a user-defined function.  Let's say that you wanted to exit the script with an error message if any ControlClick failed, then you could do something like:

myControlClick("Title1", "Some text", "some control if info")

Func myControlClick($title, $text, $ctlid)
    If Not ControlClick($title, $text, $ctlid) Then
        ConsoleWrite("ControlClick error occurred." & @CRLF)
        Exit
    EndIf
EndFunc

I just typed that out as an example and did not check it for errors.  But it shows what I mean by wrapping the functionality into a function.  Ultimately, you can do it any way that works for you.  That's what make coding so much fun!   :thumbsup:

Edited by TheXman

Create a function sync

Initially just add a sleep 2000 and add frequently at Manu places after each action the call to sync. First get it to work slowly and later enhance your sync function with checking objects for existence or mousecursor in a certain state to make the sleep obsolete.

In general you are on a learning path where its probably smart to make many small functions in pairs like.

Function actionOne

Function validateOne

Function actionTwo

Function validateTwo

And the in main of script you just write

actionOne, validateOne and so on

And then you will see later how many action and validation functions can be made more generic.

Its probably to early for you but read faq 31 and 40. Links in my signature. They will direct you to more but complex things.

Edited by junkew

So i Just test it. Im still happy about the respond. Make me think about a lot for error handling! The problem is still there...

Here what i have done 

If Not ControlClick("","", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:4]") then
        MsgBox("", "ERROR", "ERROR OCCURED")
EndIf
WinWaitClose("Window")

The click is for the button "OK" that close the window. I Run into a loop of 50 and at the 18 it stop. The button is highlighted and no msgbox appear. 

First i tried with the ControlSetText since one of my colleague did have a problem on his machine that the inputbox was not receiving any info and skip it (Simply adding "Sleep(200)" before and after the ControlSetText Fixed it. I tried with all 3 of the exemple you sended me and no msgbox appear and the code stop. Since I put WinWaitClose the script just stay in pause. I saw that the ControlSetText just return if he find the control not if it was entered. I got some idea i wanna try soon too like looking into the inputbox to valid what inside is the same as the thing I send inside.

Maybe adjust the logic

Try something like

If controlclick(args) then

Winwaitclose(win)

Else

Msgbox("","","error")

Endif

It also might be an issue with false positives on the return of control click bc the parameters are so generic.  I would be as specific as possible. In those parameters. 

Edited by markyrocks

Sadly I wont be able to work on this project any more... I got some new important project I need to work right now. I keep everything in note and I appreciate a lot of the help you gave me! Before error handling was not really a thing in my head. Now I think of error handling on everything I write.

Thank you very much! If I have a bit of time to work again on this project im gonna try to keep update and im gonna surely use the tips you gave me in other code!

Thank you again!