AutoIT - RPA Feasibility

Hello everyone!

I recently came across AutoIT. I have been working on Robotic Process Automation for about a couple of months and have used UiPath extensively.

I want to understand how feasible it is to use AutoIT as an RPA tool? Since RPA is mostly about identifying desktop elements via selectors, RPA bots should be able to identify elements across platforms/operating systems(Win 8, 10, Vista).

I have read through parameters AutoIT require to identify a control - https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/intro/controls.htm

I wish to understand whether control identifying parameters like ID, CLASS, NAME, INSTANCE, etc is the same for the same application (Eg - File Explorer, SAP) across different OSes (Win 8, 10, Vista).

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

My experience with UiPath has been good so far. It provides better UI component identification than the AutoIT window information tool. The reasons why I am looking into AutoIt is -

- AutoIt is free to use, while UiPath does have a community version, I will have to pay if I plan to use it at an enterprise level.

- The recent few releases haven't been very stable.

Yes you can do many rpa things. check out faq31 and 40. With all udf and support in this forum you will be on par with uipath. Play with simplespy and other spy tools around and you will learn quickly that AutoIt can deal with web, desktop, pdf,excel,word,java ,ocr,image search and with webdriver you could reach web and mobile apps but mobile is not much around in examples with AutoIt.

Things you will miss is a visualized flow although also thats possible and you will miss the bot manager to run dozens of robots in parralel with analytics. Robotics tools have many similarities with automation tools like AutoIt where automation tools are more feature rich as its around for 20+ years and robotics tools.much shorter.

And for people not knowing uipath watch this video

It gives more a visual flow ide around actions so less coding is done but as such it has also limitations.

Edited by junkew

@junkew Thanks a lot for your comprehensive response. I can't wait to deep dive into the docs and start exploring AutoIT for my business-related use-cases. I just have one question -

On 1/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, ViditGupta said:

I wish to understand whether control identifying parameters like ID, CLASS, NAME, INSTANCE, etc is the same for the same application (Eg - File Explorer, SAP) across different OSes (Win 8, 10, Vista).

You can only answer that per application you use in the flow. For example for calc.exe its certainly not the case. For notepad.exe its probably true but for explorer.exe its certainly different. 

If you read deep dive on uia automation udf you will see there are dozens of properties to work with. But first start simple automate calc and notepad before you make it complicated with lists, tables, treeviews.

I'm just curious.

Am I able to use UiPath Studio with ADO and any ActiveX , DLL libraries ?
For example I need to process SQL Database with PDF saved as BLOB , of coruse processing this PDF (using ActiveX), and raporting to this SQL Database or to XLS file.

I ask this question not that I would like to use a solution other than AutoIt.
Just sometimes someone tells me "why don't you do this or that program in a different language, technology," and then when I start asking questions, it always turns out that AutoIt is the best.

And using your experience, I would like to know how it relates to UiPath Studio .

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

@mLipokUipath is a tool with predefined actions you visually connect together so far i did not find a manual tellng me how i can make my own predefined actions.

See https://docs.uipath.com/studio/docs/managing-variables and pictures there. There is no code just a sequence of actions shown in a treeview or listview and when you select an action a propertieseditor for all parameters you can use.

Just install uipath trial version and automate calc.exe and take the free uipath course.

Similar answer for other major leading rpa tools like kofax kapow or automation anywhere. Target users of rpa tools are in geberal not developers or scripters.

And just watch some videos o f uipath https://www.uipath.com/developers/video-tutorials?utm_campaign=Lead Nurturing&utm_source=hs_automation&utm_medium=email&utm_content=80047783

Edited by junkew

@mLipok Yes, you can create custom UiPath activities and import DLLs via NuGet Package Manager. Just like UDFs in AutoIT, UiPath has activity packages that provide feature enhancement. Please go through the links below -

https://docs.uipath.com/activities/docs/creating-a-custom-activity

https://www.uipath.com/kb-articles/how-to-query-data-from-sql-database