Using window handles with WinGetText

Ryan H.

Using the c# code below, I am attempting to use a window handle to get the Windows title by using the WinGetTitle function.

string handle = auto.WinGetHandle("Test Window Title", string.Empty);

auto.AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 4);

string text = auto.WinGetTitle(handle, string.Empty);

When this code executes, the WinGetTitle method is consistently returning a value of 1. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

I thought a Window handle could be used instead of a Window title in any of the matching modes. The help topic entitled "Window Titles and Text (Advanced)" includes the following statement: "When you have a

handle you may use it in place of the title

parameter in any of the function calls that use the title/text convention."

----------

Edited by Jamal Mazrui

I thought a Window handle could be used instead of a Window title in any of the matching modes. The help topic entitled "Window Titles and Text (Advanced)" includes the following statement: "When you have a

handle you may use it in place of the title

parameter in any of the function calls that use the title/text convention."

----------

You can use a handle in every function that asks for a window title, however only if WinTitleMatchMode is set to 4. And the handle in the window title string has to be in the format "handle=" + WHND, where WHND is a hexadecimal string of no more than 8 hex digits. Examples: "handle=0d0d080", "handle=045e0" . You can obtain WHND from autoitx WinGetHandle as a hex string, or from Shell.Application or from WSHExtend and need to convert it to a hex string.

What you say may be the intent of the developers, but it is consistent with neither the documentation I referenced nor my testing of code. Specifically, I used the window handle returned from GuiCreate as a parameter to WinMove to resize a form before showing it. No error resulted and the window was resized, whether match mode was 1 or 4.

What you say may be the intent of the developers, but it is consistent with neither the documentation I referenced nor my testing of code. Specifically, I used the window handle returned from GuiCreate as a parameter to WinMove to resize a form before showing it. No error resulted and the window was resized, whether match mode was 1 or 4.

You're right but in the wrong subforum. Here is AutoItX. Your quotes and test results are from Autoit resp. consistent with AutoIt.