Working with arrays

Paradox

Hey guys, it's been a while... Anyways, here's the issue:

I need to read lines from two files into an array to do a file comparison. Here's a sample of my full code so far:

#cs
    Database syncronization v0.1
    1/12/06
#CE

#include <file.au3>

; declaration of variables
    global $dbstart, $dbstop, $confirm, $file2compress, $simLocal, $simRemote, $aSim, $aSimRemote, $minidisk, $last, $minidiskRemote

$dbstart="net start ""docubase service"""
    $dbstop="net stop ""docubase service"""
    $confirm="copydone.txt"
    $file2compress="filelist.txt"
    $simLocal="insuranc.sim"
    $simRemote="\\jfritzsche\DbBases\insuranc.sim"
    $last="last.txt"

; 1. Shut down services

runwait($dbstop)

; 2. compare .SIM files

dim $aSim
    dim $aSimRemote
    dim $minidisk
    dim $minidiskRemote

for $x= 1 to $aSim[_fileCountLines($sim)]
        $minidisk[$x]=_filereadtoarray($sim, $aSim[$x])
    next

for $y= 1 to $aSimRemote[_fileCountLines($simRemote)]
        $minidiskRemote[$y]=_filereadtoarray($simRemote, $aSimRemote[$y])
    next

However, when I run it, I get an error dealing with the array saying that "Subscript used with non-array variable" pointing to the "for $x= 1 to $aSim[_fileCountLines($sim)]" line. To be quite honest with you, I'm reading the documentation as I'm working on writing this program, but am having a hard time understanding how to work with an array. If someone could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Moderators

You didn't declare $aSim for it to be know it was an array.. ie: $aSim[4] or whatever...

I'm a bit confused though... because $aSim doesn't contain a value... could you break up your For loop on what you were expecting to happen? I'll see if I can give a hand after that.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

You didn't declare $aSim for it to be know it was an array.. ie: $aSim[4] or whatever...

I'm a bit confused though... because $aSim doesn't contain a value... could you break up your For loop on what you were expecting to happen? I'll see if I can give a hand after that.

I was just going to clarify on what it is that's suppose to happen. :lmao: sorry for the confustion.

Basically:

I need to compare the same file on 2 different computers. "insuranc.sim". What I'm trying to do is compare how many lines are in the two seperate files. I also need to read in all the lines, in BOTH of the files (which are just file paths to specific files), into two seperate arrays.

I don't know how long each of these arrays are, so when I'm declaring it (which I still have NO IDEA how to do) I can't put any kind of an array limitation. My latest attempt looks something like this:

$simLocal="insuranc.sim"

$file1=_filecountlines($simLocal)
    $file2=_filecountlines($simRemote)

dim $aSim(_filecountlines($simLocal)) 
    dim $aSimRemote(_filecountlines($simRemote))

Make more sense now as far as what I'm trying to do?

Come on man. you're better than that! :lmao: maybe you should start sleeping at night... When you declare a variable that you want to be an array, if you don't know the expected number of elements, don't declare it as an array, he did that right. Here's are the issues...

#cs

Database syncronization v0.1

1/12/06

#CE

#include <file.au3>

global $dbstart, $dbstop, $confirm, $file2compress, $simLocal, $simRemote, $aSim, $aSimRemote, $minidisk, $last, $minidiskRemote

$confirm="copydone.txt"

$simLocal="insuranc.sim"

$last="last.txt"

; 1. Shut down services

runwait($dbstop)

; 2. compare .SIM files

dim $aSim

dim $aSimRemote

dim $minidisk

dim $minidiskRemote

for $x= 1 to $aSim[_fileCountLines($sim)];this wasn't declared or assigned anywhere else

$minidisk[$x]=_filereadtoarray($sim, $aSim[$x]);that one either

next

for $y= 1 to $aSimRemote[_fileCountLines($simRemote)];this one was declared, but never assigned any value, so no array to have a subscript...

$minidiskRemote[$y]=_filereadtoarray($simRemote, $aSimRemote[$y])

next

However, when I run it, I get an error dealing with the array saying that "Subscript used with non-array variable" pointing to the "for $x= 1 to $aSim[_fileCountLines($sim)]" line. To be quite honest with you, I'm reading the documentation as I'm working on writing this program, but am having a hard time understanding how to work with an array. If someone could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Moderators

Come on man. you're better than that! :lmao: maybe you should start sleeping at night... When you declare a variable that you want to be an array, if you don't know the expected number of elements, don't declare it as an array, he did that right. Here's are the issues...

Even when the variable doesn't have a value that you are calling to the array? errr... I'm tired but...

Edit:

I mean in essence what your saying if I understand the critique is that:

Dim $value
For $i = 1 To $value[10]
    MsgBox(0, "Test", $value[$i])
Next

Would return a result?... that's the error I was pointing out.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Okay, I'm still lost...

Even when the variable doesn't have a value that you are calling to the array? errr... I'm tired but...

Edit:

I mean in essence what your saying if I understand the critique is that:

Dim $value
For $i = 1 To $value[10]
    MsgBox(0, "Test", $value[$i])
Next

Would return a result?... that's the error I was pointing out.

no no no. that wouldn't work because like the OP, you're using the variable before giving it a value (or an array). I meant that your example of:

You didn't declare $aSim for it to be know it was an array.. ie: $aSim[4]or whatever...

was inaccurate, because he would be correct in doing something like this:

dim $avar
_FileReadToArray("C:\test.txt",$avar)

but the real problem was that he's using variables that he's not yet assigned any value (or array)

• Moderators

See if you understand this a bit, and see if this is the direction you are wanting to go... As Sean says, I should just go to bed!!, but I'm going to take his advice and wait till this evening :lmao:

$confirm="copydone.txt"
    $simLocal="insuranc.sim"
    $last="last.txt"

; 1. Shut down services

runwait($dbstop)

; 2. compare .SIM files

dim $aSim
    dim $aSimRemote
    dim $minidisk
    dim $minidiskRemote
    _FileReadToArray($sim, $aSim)
    _FileReadToArray($simRemote, $aSimRemote)

For $x = 1 To UBound($aSim) - 1
        If 'Something From File 1 on this Line: ' $aSim[$x] = 'Something From File 2 on the Same Line' $aSimRemote[$x] Then 
        ;Do Something
        EndIf
    Next

• Moderators

there we go. put it on me. :lmao:

LOL... I tried to explain the Dim $var[4] << needing to contain an array.. but forgot to say it that way... So... Before I show my true ;) colors... I think I'll sit back and watch Jessica Simpson on the Dukes of Hazards. I'll check back in a bit to see if you had any questions or if something along those lines is what you were looking for Paradox.

Okay, I've got the array working, but now here's the issue... What is the maximum amount of elements I can have in a array with 1 dimension? I ask because it's possible that I may have to go through a maximum of 4,096 files...

• Moderators

Nevermind... o:) just tried it doing something like

dim $minidiskRemote[4096]

and it works :king:

I am so smart!

S

M

R

T

:lmao:

Forgot your 'A'

Edit: Here you go ;)

$A = StringSplit('SMART', '')
For $I = 1 To UBound($A) - 1
    ConsoleWrite($A[$I] & @LF)
Next
Edited by SmOke_N

• Moderators

I know I did :lmao: was quoting Homer Simpson ;)

Doh!

Hey... glad you got things working!! o:)