Arrays....

Rad

Well turns out using one long string to store the value needed for 8 functions and using substrings gets very dirty when you dont use exactly 4 characters. So I want to learn how to use an array! The helpfile makes no sense at all, what the hell?!

; Example 2 - Declaring arrays
Dim $weeklyWorkSchedule[$daysWorking]
Global $chessBoard[8][8]
Local $mouseCoordinates[2], $windowStats[4]

Whats with all the variables?! Someone simplify this :lmao: , I just need a string array size 48 useable in seperate functions/cases etc thanks

Notice it says "Declaring arrays" - these are all examples of arrays being declared. I'll break it down.

Dim $weeklyWorkSchedule[$daysWorking] ; <- make an array called $weeklyWorkSchedule of size $daysWorking

Global $chessBoard[8][8] ; make a Global array called $chessBoard, 2 dimensions, each of size 8

Local $mouseCoordinates[2], $windowStats[4] ; make 2 Local arrays, one called $mouseCoordinates of size 2 (x and y), one called $windowStats of size 4 (stuff in helpfile, I forget what they are)

Now: Dim is complicated.. at least more so than local and global. In the words of Valik, it's a variable scope. What that means is that it depends on the last scope to figure out the new scope. I think...

[ edit ]

Found his words:

I personally hate Dim and think it's a bad idea to use it because it has a variable scope (Re-uses Global if found, otherwise Local). [...]IMO, Dim should be deprecated out of AutoIt but failing that, at least it should be discouraged heavily in favor of the more explicit scope declarators.

[ /edit ]

Global is easy: create the array so that it can be used throughout the program. Simple enough.

Local is also easy: create the array so that it is only used within the scope that it is created (in other words, if you create it within a function for example, it is released once you end the function).

What I believe you want is Global $StringArray[48] (or 49 if you want to use 1-48 for stuff and 0 for the size or however many are filled).

Edited by greenmachine

Ummm no I really dont think I want to jump right in to locals, globals, and 2d arrays atm. I just want the basic way of a single array. I used Warcraft's map editor which is why I know how arrays work, except I dont know how you would start them off.

How would I create a variable example $MyVar to be of size 49?

Ummm no I really dont think I want to jump right in to locals, globals, and 2d arrays atm. I just want the basic way of a single array. I used Warcraft's map editor which is why I know how arrays work, except I dont know how you would start them off.

How would I create a variable example $MyVar to be of size 49?

First thing is first.

you have to declare a variable as an array. The only way i know how to do this is

Dim $myvar[49]

most user created arrays will have all entries set as 0 (the value). you can set individual items in this array by specifying their "index" number (or position in the array). Also most array indexes start at 0 not 1. this is very important when you're looking for your 49th item. it will be $myvar[48].

so

$myvar[3] = "String in an Array"

will give the fourth item in the array the string value of "String in an Array"

a simple and easy test would be to create and display an array.

such as this :

#include<array.au3>
DIM $MyVar[20]; declares the Var MyVar as an array with 20 items, all items are set to '0's.
_arraydisplay($myvar,"No Data"); this function will display every item of the $myvar array
$myvar[3] = "String in an Array"; Sets the 4 fourth Item in the $myvar array to "String in an Array"
_arraydisplay($myvar,"updated"); this function will display every item of the $myvar array

hope that helps.

I'm pretty new to arrays myself, but i've just used it to create my first Random Password Generator:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20062

-Blademonkey

Edited by blademonkey

---"Educate the Mind, Make Savage the Body" -Mao Tse Tung

Ohh my head hurts....

$int_x = 0
    While $int_x <> 9
        $type_normal[$int_x]=number(GUICtrlRead($cstm_input[$int_x][0]))
        $type_pierce[$int_x]=number(GUICtrlRead($cstm_input[$int_x][1]))
        $type_magic[$int_x]=number(GUICtrlRead($cstm_input[$int_x][2]))
        $type_siege[$int_x]=number(GUICtrlRead($cstm_input[$int_x][3]))
        $type_hero[$int_x]=number(GUICtrlRead($cstm_input[$int_x][4]))
        $type_chaos[$int_x]=number(GUICtrlRead($cstm_input[$int_x][5]))
        $int_x=$int_x + 1
    Wend

Its saying limit was exceeded, now I declared it with:

$type_normal= StringSplit("1.00,1.00,1.00,1.50,1.00,0.70,1.00,0.05",",");Normal
$type_pierce= StringSplit("1.00,1.50,2.00,0.75,2.00,0.35,0.50,0.05",",");Pierce
$type_magic= StringSplit("1.00,1.00,1.25,0.75,2.00,0.35,0.50,0.05",",");Magic
$type_siege= StringSplit("1.00,1.50,1.00,0.50,1.00,1.50,0.50,0.05",",");Siege
$type_hero= StringSplit("1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,0.50,1.00,0.05",",") ;Hero
$type_chaos= StringSplit("1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00,1.00",",");Chaos

The limit exceeded was the $cstm_inpt[][] though, which went like this

Dim $cstm_input[8][6]
$cstm_input[0][0]=GUICtrlCreateInput("1.00",56,24,32,18,$ES_NUMBER)
$cstm_input[1][0]=GUICtrlCreateInput("1.00",56,50,32,18,$ES_NUMBER)
$cstm_input[2][0]=GUICtrlCreateInput("1.00",56,76,32,18,$ES_NUMBER)
$cstm_input[3][0]=GUICtrlCreateInput("1.50",56,102,32,18,$ES_NUMBER)

Etc etc, each time going [0~7] then increase second [], then repeat 6 times (0~5)

Now why is it saying its invalid. I've never used a 2d array before so thats probrably one reason. I could REALLY use some help with this if anyone has msn add wc3gianthalfling@hotmail.com, thanks! Ill still use the forums though, untill I get someone smart enough to help :lmao:

EDIT~Turns out i was just missing a few )'s xD

Still doesnt work yet b/c I have to convert approx 48*3 standard variables into 2d arrrays... cya next week ... not

Edited by Rad