How to Get Application Events - (Moved)

Kruxe

Hey guys,

AutoIT noob here, I was wondering if you guys could help me figure something out i have been struggling with for quite some time now. Posted is an example of VB code tasked with listening to an application and performing an action once a specific event takes place in the application. I have tried so many different ways to do the same in Autoit but have had absolutely no luck in grabbing the app events. I was wondering how you guys would go about setting something like this up in autoit and if you could please explain in detail i would really appreciate it!

Public Class Form1
    Dim PCDApp As PCDLRN.Application
    Public WithEvents PartEvents As PCDLRN.PartProgram
    Public WithEvents AppEvents As PCDLRN.ApplicationObjectEvents
    Dim xlApp As Excel.Application
    Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        PCDApp = CreateObject("PCDLRN.Application")
        AppEvents = PCDApp.ApplicationEvents
        PartEvents = PCDApp.ActivePartProgram

End Sub
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Start()
    End Sub
    Sub Start()
        ' This is the subroutine to run to start the script
        Me.Hide()
        HideExcel()
    End Sub
    Private Sub HideExcel()
        xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
        Dim intAnswer As Integer
        intAnswer = MsgBox("Do you want to make Excel invisible? For this test, you should click Yes. It will become visible when you open a measurement routine.", vbYesNo, "Hide Excel?")

If intAnswer = vbYes Then
            xlApp.Visible = False
        Else
            xlApp.Visible = True

End If

LaunchPCDMIS()
    End Sub
    Sub LaunchPCDMIS()
        PCDApp.Visible = True
    End Sub

Private Sub AppEvents_OnOpenPartProgram(PartProg As PartProgram) Handles AppEvents.OnOpenPartProgram
        ' Event subroutine. This activates when you OPEN a measurement routine.
        PartProg = PCDApp.ActivePartProgram
        xlApp.Visible = True
        MsgBox("Measurement routine " & PartProg.Name & " opened. Excel should also be visible.")
    End Sub

Private Sub AppEvents_OnStartExecution(PartProg As PartProgram) Handles AppEvents.OnStartExecution
        ' Event subroutine. This activates when you START EXECUTION of the measurement routine.
        MsgBox("STARTING EXECUTION OF " & PartProg.Name & ". Click OK to continue.")
    End Sub

Private Sub AppEvents_OnEndExecution(PartProg As PartProgram, TerminationType As Integer) Handles AppEvents.OnEndExecution
        ' Event subroutine. This activates when you END EXECUTION of the measurement routine.
        MsgBox("ENDING EXECUTION OF " & PartProg.Name & ". Click OK to continue.")
    End Sub

End Class

As a start please have a look at my Excel Example Scripts in my signature. 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

Moved to the appropriate forum, as the Developer General Discussion forum very clearly states:

General development and scripting discussions. If it's super geeky and you don't know where to put it - it's probably here.

Do not create AutoIt-related topics here, use the AutoIt General Help and Support or AutoIt Technical Discussion forums.

Moderation Team

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 4 months later...

@water coming back to this post after some time and im still struggling with it. Im not grasping how i am supposed to set the code up in autoit to be like the VBA code above. I am not familiar with VBA but maybe one of you can what i have gotten so far is this and honestly don't know if its even close..

Local $DmisApp = ObjCreate("PCDLRN.Application")
Local $AppEvent = $DmisApp.ApplicationEvents
Local $ActivePartProgram = $DmisApp.ActivePartProgram

ObjEvent($AppEvent, "Worksheet_","OnStartExecution")

While 1

sleep(10)

WEnd

Func Worksheet_Change()

MsgBox("","","yes")

EndFunc

Guys,

I don't think this is as simple as following these examples or, maybe it is! lol. The application I'm trying to capture the events from is kind of setup weird and I think autoit can do it but my syntax is probably incorrect.

the event I am trying to listen for is "OnStartExecution". I have posted a link to the Object Hierarchy chart and hopefully it can explain batter than i can on here. Also in this post is what i have so far for code but I have had absolute 0 success with it.

Local $DmisApp = ObjCreate("PCDLRN.Application")
Local $ActivePartProgram = $DmisApp.ActivePartProgram
Local $AppEvent = $DmisApp.ApplicationEvents

While 1

ObjEvent($AppEvent,"ExEvent_")

Sleep(10)

WEnd
; ...

Func ExEvent_()

MsgBox("","","EventFired")

EndFunc

https://docs.hexagonmi.com/pcdmis/2019.1/en/helpcenter/mergedProjects/automationobjects/object_hierarchy_chart.htm

Imports PCDLRN

Public Class PCDMIS
    Dim DmisApp As PCDLRN.Application
    Dim DmisPartPrograms As PCDLRN.PartPrograms
    Dim WithEvents AppEvents As PCDLRN.ApplicationObjectEvents
    Private Sub PCDMIS_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Try
            DmisApp = CreateObject("PCDLRN.Application")
            DmisApp.Visible = True
            DmisApp.WaitUntilReady(1000)
            DmisPartPrograms = DmisApp.PartPrograms
            AppEvents = DmisApp.ApplicationEvents
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.StackTrace)
            Environment.Exit(0)
        End Try
    End Sub
    Private Sub OpenProg_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles OpenProg.Click
        Try
            Hide()
            DmisPartPrograms.Open("", "CMM1")
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.StackTrace)
        End Try
    End Sub
    Private Sub AppEvents_OnStartExecution(PartProg As PartProgram) Handles AppEvents.OnStartExecution
        MsgBox("Execution started:  " & PartProg.Name)
    End Sub

So this is capturing the event just fine using VB, but i don't want to use VB, i want to use auuutooooiiiiitttt lol