Using AutoIT with Veritas

jon0881

Hi all,

I am a definate newbie here and have only managed to build some install and config scripts so far. I was thinking it would be great to write something to have on a helpdesk persons PC to monitor the state of the backups.

I know there is a veritas product that can to this but i thought it would be quite cool to have some scripting stuff to do it for you and the heldesk person would easily see if the job failed, maybe with some traffic lights, green for good, red for bad.

Does anyone think this is possible? If so i will look into it. I was thinking of using the pre backup and post backup commands in backup exec.

Best wishes

Jon

Hi all,

I am a definate newbie here and have only managed to build some install and config scripts so far. I was thinking it would be great to write something to have on a helpdesk persons PC to monitor the state of the backups.

I know there is a veritas product that can to this but i thought it would be quite cool to have some scripting stuff to do it for you and the heldesk person would easily see if the job failed, maybe with some traffic lights, green for good, red for bad.

Does anyone think this is possible? If so i will look into it. I was thinking of using the pre backup and post backup commands in backup exec.

Best wishes

Jon

what backup software are you using?

Veritas Netbackup has those features built in. you may want to look into NetIQ.

---"Educate the Mind, Make Savage the Body" -Mao Tse Tung

Guest BinaryVision

You can also setup automatic email notifications sent to whichever users you need within Veritas. The email will indicate whether the job succeeded or failed.

e.g.

The Backup Job Succeeded

(Server: "xxxxxxx") Job "Restore 0354" completed successfully.

You can also have the emails sent with the job's log as an attachment. Hope that helps!

Edited by BinaryVision

Thanks very much.....

I know all that exists in Backup Exec already but i just wanted to design something cool to work with it. I guess if its not broke dont fix it.

Thanks again

unless you make it better, otherwise you're not "fixing" anything.

{= D

---"Educate the Mind, Make Savage the Body" -Mao Tse Tung

Thanks very much.....

I know all that exists in Backup Exec already but i just wanted to design something cool to work with it. I guess if its not broke dont fix it.

Thanks again

i dunno, i don't really subscribe to that school of thought. If i can make something myself rather than using someone else's stuff, i prefer to do it myself. Mostly it's for the experience and the knowledge gained, but that's just my $.02. What you want to do is very possible. Before anyone could offer you any code to do what you want though, you should paint us a better picture, what is performing the backup, how often would you really need to check the status, where is the source data vs. the backup (to compare file sizes) does your backup program create a log saying whether it finished successfully, etc etc etc.