Integrating AutoIt into Azure Pipelines

Hi all,

I am trying to integrate my autoit script into our release pipeline in Azure DevOps and I am facing several issues while doing so. Since Azure DevOps doesn't have an AutoIt plugin, I am forced to copy over the Aut2exe.exe and the au3 scripts to our repository and running the Aut2exe.exe from a command line task in Azure DevOps.

Since the script takes about 1 minute to run, I am using a START /WAIT in the command line script like below

START /WAIT "Aut2exe.exe" /in "KitBuilderCMD.au3" /out "Kit.exe" /icon "icon.ico" /comp 4 /pack /x86 /gui

The problem I am having is not only is the Kit.exe not getting created but the entire process takes only 1 second to run whereas if run the same command in my local computer, it takes about 90 seconds (which is correct) and the Kit.exe is getting created.

I also tried without the START /WAIT and gave the exe path directly as follows:

"Aut2exe.exe" /in "KitBuilderCMD.au3" /out "Kit.exe" /icon "icon.ico" /comp 4 /pack /x86 /gui

With this approach, the script never completes and hangs. I do see that the packing and been done (/pack) because I am getting the following message in the console.

Ultimate Packer for eXecutables
Copyright (C) 1996 - 2013
UPX 3.91w Markus Oberhumer, Laszlo Molnar & John Reiser Sep 30th 2013

File size Ratio Format Name
-------------------- ------ ----------- -----------
1020928 -> 538112 52.71% win32/pe aut3EF4.tmp.exe

Any idea how to make this work is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tested on a Win7 comp that does not have AutoIt installed.  Made a temp folder, copied aut2exe.exe and upx.exe along with a few scripts.  Needed also the #include in there.  Started manually the compile without any problem.  Made a small script to run the aut2exe.exe and read the stdout, without any problem.

So it must be your Azure DevOps environment that creates the problem.  Have you been able to compile just a single line script like MsgBox (0,"","Hello") ?

On 4/14/2020 at 6:27 AM, Nine said:

So it must be your Azure DevOps environment that creates the problem.  Have you been able to compile just a single line script like MsgBox (0,"","Hello") ?

Yes. I have pretty much narrowed this down to the Azure DevOps having the problem because I can compile and run the scripts in my local system with no problems.

I have even tried to compile and run a script with a simple MsgBox (0,"","Hello"). I am still facing the same problem in azure devops

Edited by MohanViswanathan

• 3 years later...