OutlookEX_GUI UDF

water

The OutlookEX UDF has become quite large.
So I have split the UDF into two pieces:

• OutlookEX: This UDF holds the functions to automate items (folders, mails, contacts ...) in the background. Can be seen like an API.
  • OutlookEX_GUI: This UDF holds the functions to automate the Outlook GUI.

This thread describes OutlookEX_GUI.

At the moment you will find functions to automate the following Outlook elements:

• BarGroups
  • NavigationFolders
  • Views (not fully finished)

Documentation
Download

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 2 weeks later...

What do you expect from the OutlookEX_GUI UDF?

Views can become quite complex. At the moment I don't know how to continue.
I would be very glad if you could describe what you expect from the GUI UDF or if you could post some screenshots of the views you'd like to see possible to create with the UDF.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 9 months later...

Version 1.4.0.0 of the UDF has been released.

Please test before using in production!

For download please see my signature.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 1 year later...

Hi @water 

Concerning the MSO GUI, I want to be able to create a separate view pane inside MSO. 

My message display, from left to right contains 

folder pane - tree view with folders

current mailbox with items list

preview pane to the right

I think what I want is the ability to create additional folders, and display a selected folder in addition to the default pane. Important would be to create additional storage (such as a unique .pst for each "folder" so that each could be separately copied & paste). Have you ever used WebDav with MSO?

1. What would be the steps required?

2. Which functions do I use to do this?

3. If I need to add buttons (or additional meta data) to a message, can MSO store this, or must I provide my own storage and link?

Ever tried this?

When you have a moment please?

Skysnake

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

Maybe next week. I’m on vacation right now 😃

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

On 6/1/2022 at 5:27 PM, Skysnake said:

3. If I need to add buttons (or additional meta data) to a message, can MSO store this, or must I provide my own storage and link?

Given you are adding to a closed source product you have no control over, and are accessing over published APIs, any subsequent changes to the underlying structure of any metadata stored by Microsoft would be deal breaker for your software should users update their Microsoft software, a uncontrollable event you cannot allow for.

Keep your data separate is my strong advice.

Is it possible for you to run two copies of Microsoft Office side by side on a widescreen monitor to obtain some of the functionality you are seeking? Of course they cannot be synced programmatically, but at least you could have a different viewport on one to the other (I suspect).

The other option is to join the Microsoft beta program and make suggestions to the coding team. Should the need be identified that would bring in massive profit boosts, I suspect it would be added quickly enough.

Are you sure that the product you are using is suitable for what your needs are? Are you putting lipstick on a pig? Example: Financial accountants using Excel for database functionality.

Edited by Confuzzled

On 6/1/2022 at 9:27 AM, Skysnake said:

Have you ever used WebDav with MSO?

No.

I remember that I once had a quick look how to modify the Outlook GUI (adding buttons etc.).
Seems to be quite complex and rarely needed by users.

I suggest to have a look at the concepts of Outlook:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ca/office/vba/outlook/concepts/getting-started/concepts-outlook-vba-reference

How to add a pane:
https://www.howtogeek.com/397331/how-to-create-a-custom-navigation-pane-in-outlook/

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki