Keep Track Copier (BUGFIX)

TheSaint

This is a new program of mine, and still under development, which you can read a kind of blog about at the forum here.

It is currently fully working, if you use TeraCopy (at least the older free version I use - 2.27), and you may be able to get it to work with other copier programs. Please let me know if I need to add support for something specific, command-line wise.

NOTE - Many aspects have only had minimal testing at this point.

Latest Screenshots

KTC_main_10.png    KTC_small_9.png

KTC_opts_3.png

Here are some early details (from May 27-28), mentioned in a spoiler section here, but reproduced as an edited version.

I have a new idea for a program called - Keep Track Copier.

Basically it will be a small program window, that contains three dropzones (destination, copy, move) and a few other controls like combos, listbox and a button or three, etc.

The idea, is that you drag & drop the destination folder onto the destination dropzone, then drag & drop the source file or folder onto the copy or move dropzone. You can set to instantly copy or move or do so via a button ... especially for a source going to more than one destination.

Why am I doing this?
Basically, for file sources like games I keep around four backups, spread over 4 physically separate drives. As you might imagine, after a while you can lose track of which drives have been backed up to and which not, especially if you don't do them all at once, which is often the case for me. So to reduce the headache, it occurred to me today, and not for the first time, how nice it would be to have a simple easy way of recalling what has gone where. Today a suitable program idea popped into my mind.

I intend to set the program up to use a few options for copy/move. One will be TeraCopy, which I am very familiar with and use all the time for copy & move. Another will probably be the VBScript I obtained from this forum years ago, which uses Windows own copier. I might also whip up my own variant, just for fun, which will need to be a separate executable, because I won't be limiting things to a Run Wait kind of scenario. That last means you can run more than one job at a time.

I should also add MD5 checking for the methods that don't include it like TeraCopy does.

I may give the ability to use other command-line third party copy programs, where the user can set the path and parameters, and fine tune the title shown in the Combo for copiers.

All my drives are named something recognizable, so the program will obtain that at the start and create a record, that can appear in the Listbox, when the source name is selected in a Combo. Basically it will be as simple as that to check.

Here is the current download (including source), which you can try out.

Keep Track Copier.zip  (10 prior downloads)

Keep Track Copier v1.1.zip

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Keep Track Copier has been updated to v1.1, due to a bug I discovered while using. See first post.

(v1.1)
BUGFIX for an overlooked variable name change in relation to destination drive free space when in Megabytes.

NOTE - I forgot to change one instance of a variable when I made a change to how things were done ... oops. And I have been so busy working on other projects lately, I haven't even used the program until today. Most would have been unlikely to have noticed the issue, unless they were using a destination drive that had less than 1 GB free.

My apologies to the 10 who had downloaded v1.0.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png