MPV Assistant

TheSaint

Some time ago, I created MPV Assistant, which is now up to v1.3. Until now I haven't gotten around to sharing it ... it happens. ;)

Mostly when playing videos locally, I just use Media Player Classic HC, and sometimes VLCPlayer for troublesome files, but I don't like VLCPlayer much.

I tried out MPV.exe many years ago, for an under-powered PC, but it kind of slipped off the radar, until TheDcoder mentioned it to me in passing a while back. I then retried it, and made it an additional option in one of my programs, and use it now and then, though my preference is still Media Player Classic HC for its clear GUI benefit and ease of use.

https://mpv.io/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpv_(media_player)

One area where I have started using MPV.exe a lot, is for youTube videos, because I have this persistent issue across browsers when playing many video clips, especially from youTube.

For MPV.exe to work with online videos, you have to get a hold of the very powerful and no doubt controversial program, youtube-dl.exe, which is available at GitHub, and place that in the same directory as MPV.exe. That allows you to play streamed videos with the MPV player.

MPV is also cross-platform .... not that that is relevant here ..... not until TheDcoder completes his project ImagineIt .... I mean EasyCodeIt. :muttley:

MPV.exe is a great, low on resources video player, that claims to play everything, and I have certainly found it lives up to that claim ... so far. It is however, not that user friendly unless you use one of the GUI frontends for it, as it is command-line only .... though it does display some stuff if you use hotkeys, of which it supports many.

As I am always forgetting the hotkeys, I developed my own assistant for it. Very simple, but extremely useful.

416525436_MPVAssistant1-3.png.d24f58a351174ace3a53aa21d7305409.png

As you may note, it doesn't list all the hotkeys available, due to space, but it shows the most common or useful ones.

The assistant, apart from helping with the obvious, allows changing the URL and quality settings via the new OPTIONS button.

The GUI (toolbar if you like) sits at the bottom of your screen and can be minimized of course (3rd button in from right) and restored at need.

Some of you may like, especially if it helps with online playing issues. So without any further ado, here it is. Enjoy!

MPV Assistant v1.3.zip

P.S. By default it is set to use the quality/format value of "worst" (for youtube-dl.exe), but you can change that. I have found that format value is a great compromise ... but it will depend on the site and what other quality options are available. I mostly use it for GOG.com and lowest quality there is not too bad. It means I can watch without issue (no stuttering, freezes or audio dropouts).

P.S.S. This should not be confused with MVP Assistant, which is something else entirely. :lol:

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

MVP Assistant

Please write me one of these! Something along the lines of the OS in "Her" will do.:thumbsup:

LOL. We should all be so lucky to have an MVP Assistant .... or maybe that's what we are .... MVP's that assist. Ha ha ha ha.

Psst. Don't tell anyone. :whistle:

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png