From Text File to Excel

Hello folks,

I'm new to Autoit and I just wanna know if there is some script that helps me to populate my excel template from a text file (.txt).

I have a text file with lots of columns and lines and I would like to read these data from each column and save in Excel's columns.

Is there some script here that I can do this? If there is, please, indicate to me, if not, can someone help me with this script?

I appreciate your help,

Tks!

What is the format of your text file? If that's a .csv or .tsv then import in Excel is a standard feature.

There are plenty of examples for processing .CSV data and there is a pretty good Excel UDF.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Dear jchd,

My text file format is .txt... with tabular separation.

Is there a script for this type of file?

I have this kind of file, with tabular separation, and I have to past to an Excel Sheet.

0,    5162,    -2410,9    127,    23,52    4,9431    26,455    5,1758    23,664
5,2917    5162,    -2410,9    121,71    23,52    4,7372    26,321    4,7445    23,735
10,583    5162,    -2410,9    116,42    23,52    4,5312    26,188    4,3131    23,812
15,875    5162,    -2410,9    111,12    23,52    4,3252    26,055    3,8818    23,895
21,167    5162,    -2410,9    105,83    23,52    4,1193    25,924    3,4504    23,984
26,458    5162,    -2410,9    100,54    23,52    3,9133    25,793    3,0191    24,079

Tks!

You need something like this:

#include <Excel.au3>
Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpenText($oExcel, "C:\Local\Tab.txt", 1, Default, Default, Default, @TAB)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Almost what @water said, but the example provided uses 4 whitespaces and not tabs (maybe due to some conversion during copy-paste) and more worrisomely, the formatting of numbers (a space as thousands separator, comma as decimal point, no decimal part everywhere) may require a few changes before supplying the data to Excel.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I have modified the provided data and changed 4 spaces to a tab character. No further modification was needed for a german system which uses comma as decimal point. Excel handles data without decimal part just fine in my environment.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Wow, and it does understand 12345, w/o a decimal part and 12 3456,78 with the thousands separator?
OK; Excel 15 - jchd 0

But I wonder how that would work on  a system where the locale is different. Let the OP try and tell us.

I didn't test with 12 3456,78 as the OPs data does not include a value with space as thousands separator.
Let's see if the OP is happy with the provided solution.

If the system has a different locale you simply provide the decimal and thousands separator to use as parameter to _Excel_BookOpenText.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Sorry I misread the data; never mind, too tired.

I just tested the thousands separator. Space lets Excel interpret the value as text. When I use a dot the value is correctly interpreted as number.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Dears,

Thanks for helping me, it works perfectly.

I didn't answer before because I had health issues in the last day. I'm good now.

Let me enjoy your knowledge, is it possible to create an initial template to Excel?

Let me explain in a better way, I would like to know where I can find some details about how to create a previously Excel sheet template to import these data with the Script that you give to me? Is it possible?

I appreciate the help of the spend time with me, explaining these kinds of subject that for you is boring.

Tks!!!

_Excel_BookOpenText loads and parses a text file as a new workbook with a single sheet that contains the parsed text-file data.
Excel does not allow to specify a template to use.
But you could open your template, save as a new workbook and then copy the data from the parsed workbook.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Here is simple convertor from TXT (with TAB) to CSV (with ; )

$text = FileRead('file.txt')
$text = StringReplace($text, @TAB, ';', 0, 1)
FileDelete('file.csv')
FileWrite('file.csv', $text)

CSV is "natural" format for Excel, so CSV can be just opened (instead of importing TXT).

Edited by Zedna