✂️ Quick crop tool

Gianni

It doesn't work for me (Win7),  it shows that rectangle, but nothing is happening, unable to move it or change size or get a copy, the script doesn't crash, it is just doing nothing .  I need to end it with the system tray.

Edited by Nine

Hi @Nine, thanks for the feedback
could you please tell me if the red rectangle is animated? ie the dots rotate counterclockwise? does the cursor take a different picture when you hover over each side and each of the corners and within the rectangle area? clicking and dragging with the right or left button on the edges and inside the area has no effect? is the area of the rectangle transparent? that is, you see what's underneath?
Thank you

Edited by Chimp

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

4 hours ago, Chimp said:

could you please tell me if the red rectangle is animated? ie the dots rotate counterclockwise?

Yes

4 hours ago, Chimp said:

does the cursor take a different picture when you hover over each side and each of the corners and within the rectangle area?

No

4 hours ago, Chimp said:

clicking and dragging with the right or left button on the edges and inside the area has no effect?

No effect

4 hours ago, Chimp said:

is the area of the rectangle transparent? that is, you see what's underneath?

Yes I can see underneath, I am just unable to control the rectangle. Right-click is not working, it is the underneath application that respond to the right-click.

Nicely done Chimp but I think it is not DPI aware because when I crop a portion of the screen the result is not correct.

Additionally, thinner border lines would be better to set area more precise.

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

15 hours ago, Nine said:

... I can see underneath, I am just unable to control the rectangle. Right-click is not working, it is the underneath application that respond to the right-click.

could you please try to change this line:

$hGUI2 = GUICreate("", $aWinPos1[2], $aWinPos1[3], $aWinPos1[0], $aWinPos1[1], $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_LAYERED + $WS_EX_TOPMOST + $WS_EX_TRANSPARENT)

with this other (removed the extended style $WS_EX_TRANSPARENT ( and also used BitOR instead of addition)):

$hGUI2 = GUICreate("", $aWinPos1[2], $aWinPos1[3], $aWinPos1[0], $aWinPos1[1], $WS_POPUP , BitOR( $WS_EX_LAYERED, $WS_EX_TOPMOST))

thank You

14 hours ago, UEZ said:

Nicely done Chimp but I think it is not DPI aware because when I crop a portion of the screen the result is not correct.

Additionally, thinner border lines would be better to set area more precise.

Hi @UEZ,thanks for the feedback,
any suggestions on how to make this a DPI aware script?
perhaps with some adjustment like those indicated here? (https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/199786-making-your-compiled-application-dpi-aware/)?

Thank You

Edited by Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

A bit better, the cursor changes picture but still not able to move, change size or right click.  Tested on a Win10 PC and working perfectly.

Maybe my Win7 comp is somewhat non-standard with aero feature removed and others.  Thanks anyway for the effort.  Good job.

4 hours ago, Nine said:

Maybe my Win7 comp is somewhat non-standard with aero feature removed and others.

My Windows 7 (Pro, 64-bit, SP1) is default, but shows similar behavior.I can select an area (see picture section), but as soon as I release the right mouse button the framed area disappears.

The following modification does not make any difference :

$hGUI2 = GUICreate("", $aWinPos1[2], $aWinPos1[3], $aWinPos1[0], $aWinPos1[1], $WS_POPUP , BitOR( $WS_EX_LAYERED, $WS_EX_TOPMOST))

CroptestWin7.jpg.0bf0d9eaf6aa7a5ad95a783e02d8591b.jpg

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

3 hours ago, Musashi said:

... but as soon as I release the right mouse button the framed area disappears ...

Hi @Musashi, thanks for Your feedback
is not clear to me what happens on your system,
the right sequence of use (of the demo) should be:

1. press control+printsceen (the 'selector' appears around the mouse)
  2. hovering  the mouse over any side or corner the cursor should change accordingly; LeftClick on the edges and drag to redim the area, also LeftClick within the area and drag to move the selection around.
  3. when you are done with the selection, RightClick within the area to copy the selected portion of the screen to the clipboard. The shot is taken and the 'selector' disappears from the screen. (just for fun I've also added a brief animation just to give a visual feedback of the action done)
  4. that's all, the selected screenshot is (should be) now into the clipboard to be pasted where you need it. (seems  the the taken area is not DPIaware... working on it)

Which of the above steps fail?

Thanks for your testing

Edited by Chimp

36 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Which of the above steps fail?

None, it was my own stupidity :lol:. I had overlooked that you have to press control+printsceen FIRST to start the process.

It works fine on my Windows 7 system, no matter if

$hGUI2 = GUICreate("", $aWinPos1[2], $aWinPos1[3], $aWinPos1[0], $aWinPos1[1], $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_LAYERED + $WS_EX_TOPMOST + $WS_EX_TRANSPARENT)

or

However : In the example, the process can be started multiple times and I miss an exit option. Hopefully I did not overlook something again.

36 minutes ago, Chimp said:

just for fun I've also added a brief animation just to give a visual feedback of the action done

Nice effect 👍

Thinner borderlines would be better, as @UEZ has already pointed out.

Edited by Musashi
typo

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

9 hours ago, Chimp said:

Hi @UEZ,thanks for the feedback,
any suggestions on how to make this a DPI aware script?
perhaps with some adjustment like those indicated here? (https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/199786-making-your-compiled-application-dpi-aware/)?

Thank You

I have checked also my script

which I coded sometime in 2018 on my previous notebook without DPI and it didn't work either.

I've updated the script by adding the function _WinAPI_SetProcessDpiAwarenessContext which seems to work properly on my Win10 v2004. I don't know if the script works properly on OS < Win10.

I've not check yet if

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_HiDpi=y

is sufficient.

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

53 minutes ago, Musashi said:

None, it was my own stupidity :lol:. I had overlooked that you have to press control+printsceen FIRST to start the process.

... my fault, i've not explained well in the OP :D

1 hour ago, Musashi said:

However : In the example, the process can be started multiple times and I miss an exit option. Hopefully I did not overlook something again.

hmmm this is not intentional, thanks for reporting it, I will look into the matter...

1 hour ago, Musashi said:

Thinner borderlines would be better, as @UEZ has already pointed out.

I agree with both of you, ... I'm working on it ..

Thanks again for your feedback.

3 hours ago, Chimp said:

A new version a bit simplified and corrected. see first post.

Works without problems (Win7-64 SP1 and AutoIt 3.3.14.0) 👍

Musashi-C64.png

@Chimp if you add 

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_HiDpi=y

it will work, too, when DPI is <> 100% but only if compiled.

58 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Hi @UEZ, Thanks for that tip, appreciated, directive added on the listing in first post. (...I don't know how to test it) :think:

On the naked desktop press the rmb and select "Display Settings" (Impostazioni display). There approx. in the middle you can find "Scale an layout" (Scalare un layout). Below you can change the dpi settings "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" (Cambiare la dimensione del testo, delle applicazioni e di altri elementi), e.g. to 125%.

Afterwards test your script by running the script directly without compiling it first and then with compiled version.