SQL ADO Get Print Messages?

buymeapc

Hello all,

I  have a SQL database that I'm running scripts on in order to update the contents of the database. Some of these scripts have try/catch statements, which include print statements. I can see the print statements if I use SSMS, but I'm not sure how to get them using AutoIt while running the script. I was originally using SQL.au3, but I have also been trying to use ADO.au3. With the very simplified script below using ADO.au3, how can I display the print statement result of 'hello'? Thanks for your help!

#include "ADO.au3"

; SetUP internal ADO.au3 UDF COMError Handler
_ADO_ComErrorHandler_UserFunction(_ADO_COMErrorHandler)

$sDatabase = 'mydb' ; change this string to YourDatabaseName
$sServer = 'localhost' ; change this string to YourServerLocation
$sUser = 'sa' ; change this string to YourUserName
$sPassword = 'MyPassword' ; change this string to YourPassword

;_Example_4_MSSQL_SQLAuth($sServer, $sDatabase, $sUser, $sPassword, "Select * from MY_TABLE"); this works fine!
_Example_4_MSSQL_SQLAuth($sServer, $sDatabase, $sUser, $sPassword, "if 1 = 1 print 'hello'"); how do I return the print message?

Func _Example_4_MSSQL_SQLAuth($sServer, $sDatabase, $sUser, $sPassword, $sQUERY)

; Create connection object
    Local $oConnection = _ADO_Connection_Create()

; Open connection with $sConnectionString
    _ADO_Connection_OpenMSSQL($oConnection, $sServer, $sDatabase, $sUser, $sPassword, 'YourAppName', @ComputerName & '_' & 'YourProgram_UID')
    If @error Then Return SetError(@error, @extended, $ADO_RET_FAILURE)

; Executing some query directly to Array of Arrays (instead to $oRecordset)
    Local $aRecordset = _ADO_Execute($oConnection, $sQUERY, True)

; Clean Up
    _ADO_Connection_Close($oConnection)
    $oConnection = Null

; Display Array Content with column names as headers
    _ADO_Recordset_Display($aRecordset, 'Recordset content')

EndFunc   ;==>_Example_4_MSSQL_SQLAuth

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ado/reference/ado-api/errors-collection-ado?view=sql-server-2017

Some properties and methods return warnings that appear as Error objects in the Errors collection but do not halt a program's execution. Before you call the Resync, UpdateBatch, or CancelBatch methods on a Recordset object, the Open method on a Connection object, or set the Filter property on a Recordset object, call the Clear method on the Errors collection. That way you can read the Count property of the Errors collection to test for returned warnings.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Thank you so much for your helpful links, mLipok!! I am finally able to display the output now.

Here's my example which I'm finally able to see the output in the console.

#include-once
#include <array.au3>
#include "ADO.au3"

Global $oADODB_Connection = ObjCreate("ADODB.Connection")

_Example()
Func _Example()
    ; Error monitoring. This will trap all COM errors while alive.
    ; This particular object is declared as local, meaning after the function returns it will not exist.
    Local $oErrorHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "_ErrFunc")

Local $sPassword ='MyPassword'
    $oADODB_Connection.Open("PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB.1;SERVER=localhost;DATABASE=mydb;uid=sa;pwd="&$sPassword&";")

Local $objquery = $oADODB_Connection.Execute("if 1 = 1 print 'this is a test - hello'")

Local $test = $objquery.Parent

;ConsoleWrite('Before CommitTrans' & @CRLF)
    ;$oADODB_Connection.CommitTrans

EndFunc   ;==>_Example

; User's COM error function. Will be called if COM error occurs
Func _ErrFunc($oError)
    Local $iErrorCol_Max = $oADODB_Connection.errors.Count
    If $iErrorCol_Max = 0 Then
        ConsoleWrite( @CRLF & _
                "! ==> COM Error intercepted ==> NOT ADO related Error " & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.description is: " & @TAB & $oError.description & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.number is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.number & "   in HEX is  0x" & Hex($oError.number) & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.source is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.source & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.windescription:" & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.windescription & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.helpfile is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpfile & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.helpcontext is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpcontext & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.lastdllerror is: " & @TAB & $oError.lastdllerror & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.scriptline is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.scriptline & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.retcode is: " & @TAB & @TAB & "0x" & Hex($oError.retcode) & @CRLF & _
                "! ==> COM End of Error dump." & @CRLF & _
                @CRLF)

Else
        Local $oErr
        For $iErrorCol_idx = 0 To $iErrorCol_Max - 1
            $oErr = $oADODB_Connection.errors.Item($iErrorCol_idx)
            ConsoleWrite( @CRLF & _
                    "! ==> COM Error intercepted ==> ADO Error Collection: .errors.Count = " & $iErrorCol_Max & "   $oErr = .errors.Item(" & $iErrorCol_idx & ") " & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr.description is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oErr.description & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr.number is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.number & "   in HEX is  0x" & Hex($oErr.number) & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "   ErrorValueEnum description:" & @TAB & _ADO_MSDNErrorValueEnum_Description("0x" & Hex($oErr.number)) & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr.source is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oErr.source & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr.SQLState is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oErr.SQLState & '  Description: ' &_SQLState_Description($oErr.SQLState) & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr.NativeError is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oErr.NativeError & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.windescription:" & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.windescription & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.scriptline is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.scriptline & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.helpfile is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.helpfile & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.helpcontext is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpcontext & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.lastdllerror is: " & @TAB & $oError.lastdllerror & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.retcode is: " & @TAB & @TAB & "0x" & Hex($oError.retcode) & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.number is: " & @TAB & @TAB & "0x" & Hex($oError.number) & @CRLF & _
                    "! ==> COM End of Error Collections dump." & @CRLF & _
                    @CRLF)
        Next
        $oADODB_Connection.errors.clear
    EndIf

EndFunc   ;==>_ErrFunc

do you especially/intentionally fire error:

?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Here is your script (little modified by me):

#include <array.au3>
#include "__UDF_Forum\ADO.au3" ; your ADO.au3 localization

Global $oADODB_Connection = ObjCreate("ADODB.Connection")

_Example()
Func _Example()
    ; Error monitoring. This will trap all COM errors while alive.
    ; This particular object is declared as local, meaning after the function returns it will not exist.
    Local $oErrorHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "_ErrFunc")
    #forceref $oErrorHandler

Local $sPassword = 'AutoIt'
    $oADODB_Connection.Open("PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB.1;SERVER=localhost\SQLExpress;uid=sa;pwd=" & $sPassword & ";")

Local $objquery = $oADODB_Connection.Execute("if 1 = 1 print 'this is a test - hello'")
    #forceref $objquery

#forceref $test

EndFunc   ;==>_Example

; User's COM error function. Will be called if COM error occurs
Func _ErrFunc($oError)
    Local $iErrorCol_Max = $oADODB_Connection.errors.Count
    If $iErrorCol_Max = 0 Then
        ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & _
                "! ==> COM Error intercepted ==> NOT ADO related Error " & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.description is: " & @TAB & $oError.description & @CRLF & _
                "-" & @TAB & "$oError.number is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.number & "   in HEX is  0x" & Hex($oError.number) & @CRLF & _
                @CRLF)

Else
        Local $oErr
        For $iErrorCol_idx = 0 To $iErrorCol_Max - 1
            If $iErrorCol_idx = 0 Then ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & _
                    "! ==> COM Error intercepted ==> ADO Error Collection: .errors.Count = " & $iErrorCol_Max & @CRLF & _
                    "")
            $oErr = $oADODB_Connection.errors.Item($iErrorCol_idx)
            ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr(" & $iErrorCol_idx & ").description is: " & @TAB & $oErr.description & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr(" & $iErrorCol_idx & ").number is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.number & "   in HEX is  0x" & Hex($oErr.number) & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr(" & $iErrorCol_idx & ").source is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oErr.source & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr(" & $iErrorCol_idx & ").SQLState is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oErr.SQLState & '  Description: ' & _SQLState_Description($oErr.SQLState) & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "$oErr(" & $iErrorCol_idx & ").NativeError is: " & @TAB & $oErr.NativeError & @CRLF & _
                    ">" & @TAB & "   ErrorValueEnum description:" & @TAB & _ADO_MSDNErrorValueEnum_Description("0x" & Hex($oErr.NativeError)) & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.helpfile is: " & @TAB & @TAB & $oError.helpfile & @CRLF & _
                    "-" & @TAB & "$oError.number is: " & @TAB & @TAB & "0x" & Hex($oError.number) & @CRLF & _
                    "")
        Next
        $oADODB_Connection.errors.clear
        ConsoleWrite("! ==> COM End of Error Collections dump." & @CRLF)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_ErrFunc

How many errors you see ?
Why you need to fire Error to get Print Output ?

Check this new Article on WIKI:

https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/ADO_Event_handling#First_example

and here:

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

@buymeapc

Current ADO.au3 UDF v2.1.18 supports catching this information by default.

Take a look.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 2 years later...
On 10/18/2020 at 9:49 AM, mLipok said:

Current ADO.au3 UDF v2.1.18 supports catching this information by default.

I verified this print thing in v2.1.19 B   But what I am after are the other errors from SQL.  If you run a faulty query like   "Select cast('0503\03\03' as date)" in SSMS I want to be able to get the returned.

Msg 241, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string.

I've been looking around, but errors like that don't seem to trigger the error handler.  using  the below in the ADO_EXAMPLE.au3

when run from within an altered _Example_MSSQL_SQLServerAuthorization()

_Example_1_RecordsetToConsole($sConnectionString, "Select cast('0503\03\03' as date)")

Nothing that I can see happens for that relative to the error handling

$oADO_COMErrorHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", __ADO_ComErrorHandler_WrapperFunction)

in  _ADO_EXECUTE(), where as other queries return data.

are these not com errors, or AutoIt.Error , or Events?  how do we get them. 

I have an app that was trying to set a date in an update statement based on badly parsed input syntax.  That bug, stopped the rest of the update statement values from being set and we didn't notice that records weren't always getting updated for a month because not every update included a date.   Since there was no validation error presented to the user for the bad syntax, we only found it later.  

Am I missing something,  are those messages from SSMS not from the Sql server?

9 hours ago, Humanzee said:

9 hours ago, Humanzee said:

are these not com errors, or AutoIt.Error , or Events?  how do we get them. 

It was discussed some time ago.
Will check it again.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Using this simple example:

Global $__g_oConnection = ObjCreate("ADODB.Connection")
Global $__g_oErrorHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", _ErrFunc)

_Example()
Func _Example()
    Local $sPassword = 'AutoIt' ; change to your own pass
    Local $sInstance = 'localhost\SQLExpress' ; change to your own SQL server Instances
    $__g_oConnection.Open("PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB.1;SERVER=" & $sInstance & ";uid=sa;pwd=" & $sPassword & ";")
    Local $objquery = $__g_oConnection.Execute("print 'this is a test - hello - Line 1'")
    $objquery.parent2

$__g_oConnection.Execute("SELECT CAST('0503\03\03' AS DATE)")
    #forceref $objquery

EndFunc   ;==>_Example

Func _ErrFunc(ByRef $oError)
    ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & _
            "! ==> COM Error intercepted ==>" & @CRLF & _
            @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_ErrFunc

I get this:

! ==> COM Error intercepted ==>
-    $oError.description is:     Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string.
-    $oError.number is:         -2147352567   in HEX is  0x80020009
-    $oError.source is:         Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
-    $oError.windescription:        Wyst¹pi³ wyj¹tek.

-    $oError.helpfile is:     
-    $oError.helpcontext is:     0
-    $oError.lastdllerror is:     0
-    $oError.scriptline is:         23
-    $oError.retcode is:         0x80040E07
! ==> COM End of Error dump.

Is it enough ? or you are expecting to get also:

?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

btw.

as to :

Msg 241 it is:

>    $oErr(0).NativeError is:     241

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Take a look also here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/79a316c7-e112-42a3-aa11-24533098f8c5/msg-level-state-line?forum=transactsql

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/errors-events/understanding-database-engine-errors?redirectedfrom=MSDN&view=sql-server-ver16

learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/errors-events/database-engine-error-severities?redirectedfrom=MSDN&view=sql-server-ver16

Levels of Severity

The following table lists and describes the severity levels of the errors raised by the SQL Server Database Engine.

Severity level Description
0-9 Informational messages that return status information or report errors that are not severe. The Database Engine does not raise system errors with severities of 0 through 9.
10 Informational messages that return status information or report errors that are not severe. For compatibility reasons, the Database Engine converts severity 10 to severity 0 before returning the error information to the calling application.
11-16 Indicate errors that can be corrected by the user.
11 Indicates that the given object or entity does not exist.
12 A special severity for queries that do not use locking because of special query hints. In some cases, read operations performed by these statements could result in inconsistent data, since locks are not taken to guarantee consistency.
13 Indicates transaction deadlock errors.
14 Indicates security-related errors, such as permission denied.
15 Indicates syntax errors in the Transact-SQL command.
16 Indicates general errors that can be corrected by the user.
17-19 Indicate software errors that cannot be corrected by the user. Inform your system administrator of the problem.
17 Indicates that the statement caused SQL Server to run out of resources (such as memory, locks, or disk space for the database) or to exceed some limit set by the system administrator.
18 Indicates a problem in the Database Engine software, but the statement completes execution, and the connection to the instance of the Database Engine is maintained. The system administrator should be informed every time a message with a severity level of 18 occurs.
19 Indicates that a nonconfigurable Database Engine limit has been exceeded and the current batch process has been terminated. Error messages with a severity level of 19 or higher stop the execution of the current batch. Severity level 19 errors are rare and must be corrected by the system administrator or your primary support provider. Contact your system administrator when a message with a severity level 19 is raised. Error messages with a severity level from 19 through 25 are written to the error log.
20-24 Indicate system problems and are fatal errors, which means that the Database Engine task that is executing a statement or batch is no longer running. The task records information about what occurred and then terminates. In most cases, the application connection to the instance of the Database Engine may also terminate. If this happens, depending on the problem, the application might not be able to reconnect.

Error messages in this range can affect all of the processes accessing data in the same database and may indicate that a database or object is damaged. Error messages with a severity level from 19 through 24 are written to the error log.
20 Indicates that a statement has encountered a problem. Because the problem has affected only the current task, it is unlikely that the database itself has been damaged.
21 Indicates that a problem has been encountered that affects all tasks in the current database, but it is unlikely that the database itself has been damaged.
22 Indicates that the table or index specified in the message has been damaged by a software or hardware problem.

Severity level 22 errors occur rarely. If one occurs, run DBCC CHECKDB to determine whether other objects in the database are also damaged. The problem might be in the buffer cache only and not on the disk itself. If so, restarting the instance of the Database Engine corrects the problem. To continue working, you must reconnect to the instance of the Database Engine; otherwise, use DBCC to repair the problem. In some cases, you may have to restore the database.

If restarting the instance of the Database Engine does not correct the problem, then the problem is on the disk. Sometimes destroying the object specified in the error message can solve the problem. For example, if the message reports that the instance of the Database Engine has found a row with a length of 0 in a nonclustered index, delete the index and rebuild it.
23 Indicates that the integrity of the entire database is in question because of a hardware or software problem.

Severity level 23 errors occur rarely. If one occurs, run DBCC CHECKDB to determine the extent of the damage. The problem might be in the cache only and not on the disk itself. If so, restarting the instance of the Database Engine corrects the problem. To continue working, you must reconnect to the instance of the Database Engine; otherwise, use DBCC to repair the problem. In some cases, you may have to restore the database.
24 Indicates a media failure. The system administrator may have to restore the database. You may also have to call your hardware vendor.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Btw try with this:

BEGIN TRY  
    -- Generate error.  
    Select '',
    cast('0503\03\03' 
    as date)

END TRY  
BEGIN CATCH
    SELECT
        ERROR_NUMBER() AS ErrorNumber,  
        ERROR_SEVERITY() AS ErrorSeverity,  
        ERROR_STATE() AS ErrorState,  
        ERROR_PROCEDURE() AS ErrorProcedure,  
        ERROR_LINE() AS ErrorLine,  
        ERROR_MESSAGE() AS ErrorMessage;  
END CATCH;  
GO

I get such results:

ErrorNumber

ErrorSeverity

ErrorState

ErrorProcedure

ErrorLine

ErrorMessage

NULL

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Your simple example works, yes.  As it turns out, my error handler in my project was working in the console, I just wasn't trapping the "Exception occurred" and presenting it to the user when compiled.

Because it wasn't being presented to the user, I assumed it wasn't being detected, and I started looking for solutions.  After not being able to get the _errfunc to trigger from within your  ADO_EXAMPLE.au3  using the same bad SQL statement, I asked the question.  So maybe it just doesn't work with my database and your ADO_EXAMPLE.au3

Editing the values within Func _Example_MSSQL_SQLServerAuthorization()  I ran

_Example_1_RecordsetToConsole($sConnectionString, "Select top 1 ID from table1")
     _Example_1_RecordsetToConsole($sConnectionString, "if 1 = 1 print 'this is a test - hello'")
     _Example_1_RecordsetToConsole($sConnectionString, "Select top 1 ID from table2'")
    _Example_1_RecordsetToConsole($sConnectionString, "Select cast('0503\03\03' as date)")

In return I got

>> [ADO InfoMessage]=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed database context to 'MY Database Name'.
==================================================================
["A legitimate value for ID from table 1"]
>> [ADO InfoMessage]=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]this is a test - hello
>> [ADO InfoMessage]=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed database context to 'My Database Name'.
! ---> @error=2  @extended=-2147352567 : _Example_MSSQL_SQLServerAuthorization()

So maybe @error 2  is stopping the script before the __ADO_ComErrorHandler_WrapperFunction registered all over ADO.au3 picks it up and reports it.   Interesting though that query 1 & 2 worked and then the error 2 at query 3, even though its valid, and query 4 didn't appear to run 

If I just run the 3rd or 4th query  I get

>> [ADO InfoMessage]=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Changed database context to 'My Database Name'.
! ---> @error=2  @extended=-2147352567 : _Example_MSSQL_SQLServerAuthorization()

So, I'll go and trap the error in my actual project code, and stop playing with trying to get your example to work.   I saw elsewhere that someone else had issue with SQL Server Authentication method and getting the server name syntax correct.    Odd that it produces date sometimes out of the example and sometimes error 2.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.   

"Msg 241, Level 16, State 1, Line 1" Was not needed, thank you though,

The BEGIN CATCH is something I have not experimented with, however it returns two record sets.  I don't think QueryResults.MoveNext  just continue with the next query result set with out a UNION and the same number of fields returned ?

_Example_1_RecordsetToConsole($sConnectionString, "Select 'A' ;Select 'B'")   Just returns "A"

Different question can you detect 

(0 rows affected)

from sql Messages where no records were updated.   e.g.   Update TableName set Field1 = 'Orange' where 1=2

This would be useful for confirming the number of records you expected would be updated.

11 hours ago, Humanzee said:

Different question can you detect 

(0 rows affected)

from sql Messages where no records were updated.   e.g.   Update TableName set Field1 = 'Orange' where 1=2

This would be useful for confirming the number of records you expected would be updated.

focus on:

; Name ..........: _ADO_Execute
; Description ...: Executes an SQL Query
; Return values .: On Success - $oRecordset object or $aRecordsetAsArray and set @extended to __ADO_RowAffected()
;                  On Failure - $ADO_RET_FAILURE and set @error to $ADO_ERR_*
    Return SetError($ADO_ERR_SUCCESS, __ADO_RowAffected(), $oRecordset)
EndFunc   ;==>_ADO_Execute

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Humanzee said:

The BEGIN CATCH is something I have not experimented with, however it returns two record sets.  I don't think QueryResults.MoveNext  just continue with the next query result set with out a UNION and the same number of fields returned ?

_Example_1_RecordsetToConsole($sConnectionString, "Select 'A' ;Select 'B'")   Just returns "A"

I just starts to read:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34662952/how-to-return-multiple-recordsets-in-a-single-execution-using-adodb

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ado/guide/data/receiving-multiple-recordsets?view=sql-server-ver16

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

as to your example:

_Example_1_RecordsetToConsole($sConnectionString, "Select 'A' ;Select 'B'")

I was able to do this with:

Local $iRecordsetAffected
    Local $o_recordset1 = $oADODB_Connection.Execute("Select 'A' ;Select 'B'")
    Local $array1 = $o_recordset1.GetRows()
    Local $o_recordset2 = $o_recordset1.NextRecordset($iRecordsetAffected)
    ConsoleWrite("- $iRecordsetAffected = " & $iRecordsetAffected & @CRLF)

Local $array2 = $o_recordset2.GetRows()

_ArrayDisplay($array1, '$array1')
    _ArrayDisplay($array2, '$array2')

but I got error using:

Local $sQuery = _
            "BEGIN TRY  " & @CRLF & _
            "    -- Generate error.  " & @CRLF & _
            "    Select ''," & @CRLF & _
            "    cast('0503\03\03' " & @CRLF & _
            "    as date)" & @CRLF & _
            "END TRY  " & @CRLF & _
            "BEGIN CATCH" & @CRLF & _
            "    SELECT" & @CRLF & _
            "        ERROR_NUMBER() AS ErrorNumber,  " & @CRLF & _
            "        ERROR_SEVERITY() AS ErrorSeverity,  " & @CRLF & _
            "        ERROR_STATE() AS ErrorState,  " & @CRLF & _
            "        ERROR_PROCEDURE() AS ErrorProcedure,  " & @CRLF & _
            "        ERROR_LINE() AS ErrorLine,  " & @CRLF & _
            "        ERROR_MESSAGE() AS ErrorMessage;  " & @CRLF & _
            "END CATCH;  " & @CRLF & _
            ""

Local $o_recordset3 = $oADODB_Connection.Execute($sQuery)

Local $array3 = $o_recordset3.GetRows()
    _ArrayDisplay($array3, '$array3')

Local $o_recordset4 = $o_recordset1.NextRecordset($iRecordsetAffected)
    ConsoleWrite("- $iRecordsetAffected = " & $iRecordsetAffected & @CRLF)

Local $array4 = $o_recordset4.GetRows()
    _ArrayDisplay($array4, '$array4')

Wil back to this ASAP

Signature beginning:

Spoiler