Danyfirex

Hello!!!  

In the past I had problems adding an application as a default for an extension in Windows 10. (It was easy in windows 7 using Registry) But since Windows 8 It requires to do some steps more. I wrote a tool (in other programming language) months ago for handling it. But now I just want to share an AutoIt version.

Check on GitHub.

Saludos

Just at first glance I can see that it is a decent job.

btw.
You shoudl attach some header in this script to like in UDF to show what the requirments are, and who create this script.

I see you are using Maps[] so Beta is required, and not all will be know about this.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

Hello guys, @mLipok as @argumentum says it's just an array. I've updated the script according your suggestions. Thank you both

Saludos

Please separate UDF <> Example

EDIT:
some functions can occurs that are not unique.

Please change name of all/each UDF Function to unique names using prefix _SFA_***()

For example

Func _SFA_GetUserSid()
EndFunc   ;==>_SFA_GetUserSid

Using such named functions in main script is very usefully because thanks to this , when you analyze main script you can easily guess that all this _SFA_***() functions comes from SFA.au3 UDF.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

I usually follow those best practices you can see them integrated in my UDF. This was not intended to be an UDF. It was just a random share. 

Saludos

i'm slightly confused. there are "default programs", occasionally referred to as "default apps", which are used to handle common tasks, such as web browsing, map navigation, email, etc. and there is file type association, which is used to assign a specific file type with a specific program.

these are not the same thing, this kind-of explains it. this UDF handles file type association, but the topic title seems to refer to the default applications. i believe some clarification is required here.

secondly, this UDF sets file type association for the current user only. what would be the process for all users? would switching HKCU to HKLM suffice (with admin rights in effect, of course)?

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

@orbs yes it is related to the link you posted.  Default application it's handled by changing file type association. 

I suppose that for handling global type it will need to write in global keys. I've never tested but it's the usual way Windows.

Saludos

22 minutes ago, Danyfirex said:

I usually follow those best practices you can see them integrated in my UDF. This was not intended to be an UDF. It was just a random share. 

But it deserves to become a UDF.

Especially since you publish this code on GitHub, so you have the intention that others can take advantage of it.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

You're right, seems to be I'm lazy today (Lazy by depression) I'll update it. thank you @mLipok

Saludos

Updated. No according with @mLipok's suggestions because I want to keep main file name due to the main tool I wrote is SFTA so I want to keep it related, and the main function was renamed similar to my PowerShell version (Set-FTA) so now It's _Set_FTA. I'll consider an update to rename all according to our best practices, but for now it will stay that way.

Saludos

Here is my solution without hashing, crypting, encoding and other gimmicks.
Only using the Assoc and Ftype commands.

#RequireAdmin   ; due to FTYPE command
#include <array.au3>; For _ArrayDisplay()
; default for my .txt:  ftype Notepad++_file="C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" "%1"
Local $sExt, $sCmd, $sResult, $aArray, $sFtype, $sApp
$sExt = InputBox("Assign an app to a file type", "Enter file type to alter ", ".txt")
$sExt = "." & StringReplace($sExt, ".", "")   ; to ensure a single dot as prefix
$sCmd = "ASSOC " & $sExt
$sResult = _CmdResult($sCmd)
If StringLeft($sResult, 1) <> "." Then Exit MsgBox(16 + 262144, Default, $sResult, 0)   ; extension NOT found
$aArray = StringSplit($sResult, "=")
$sFtype = StringTrimRight($aArray[2], 2)   ; strip CRLF
$sCmd = "FType  " & $sFtype
$aArray = StringSplit($sResult, "=")
$sApp = $aArray[2]
$sApp = InputBox("Assign a new app to file type  " & $sExt, "Enter new app for file type  " & $sExt, $sApp,"",600)
$sCmd = "FTYPE " & $sFtype & "=" & $sApp
MsgBox(64 + 262144, Default, "New assignment for  """ & $sExt & """ is:" & @LF & @LF & $sResult, 0)

Func _CmdResult($sCmd)
    Local $sResult, $sPid
    $sPid = Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & $sCmd, "", @SW_HIDE, 8)
    Do
        Sleep(20)
        $sResult &= StdoutRead($sPid)
    Until @error
    Return $sResult
EndFunc   ;==>_CmdResult

Edited by Exit
Changed @SW_SHOW to @SW_HIDE

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

Hello @Exit I'm  sure your solution will not work under windows 10. I think my solution is the only one(source code) in the worldwide that work in Windows 10. 

Saludos

Hello @Exit I'm  sure your solution will not work under windows 10. I think my solution is the only one(source code) in the worldwide that work in Windows 10. 

Saludos

Hello @Danyfirex, I must say your UDF will be very useful in my project :) I had in mind to modify in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\] .pdf and .pdfxml but I didnt test it.

Anyways, Nice UDF! your udf will make it much simplier ^_^, I will make sure to mention you in my project post and script.

EDIT 1

Do you know how to change default browser by any miracle? :P

Thank you,

~WilliamasKumeliukas

Edited by WilliamasKumeliukas

Sorry if it's quite challenging to understand me sometimes, there is 2 possible reasons to this:

Spoiler

#1. I am a native French speaker and learned English mainly from chatting with others players in online games.

#2. I have a developmental disorder mainly affecting my social abilities, way of thinking, understanding stuffs and explaining myself in which it can seem ironic of seeing me here, but I been working on getting better every days for an dozens of years now ^_^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not like my dirty code? It's fine, but in my opinion, the dirty codes are unique and I believe it's a good glimpse of how the mind of the person who wrote it thinks, and that, that's what I call a psychological deduction step by step in all its splendor.

~WilliamasKumeliukas

14 minutes ago, Danyfirex said:

I'm using Windows 10   :thumbsup:
And it works. Just try it.

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

@Danyfirex Will it work for all users or only current user?

Regards,

~WilliamasKumeliukas

Sorry if it's quite challenging to understand me sometimes, there is 2 possible reasons to this:

Spoiler

#1. I am a native French speaker and learned English mainly from chatting with others players in online games.

#2. I have a developmental disorder mainly affecting my social abilities, way of thinking, understanding stuffs and explaining myself in which it can seem ironic of seeing me here, but I been working on getting better every days for an dozens of years now ^_^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not like my dirty code? It's fine, but in my opinion, the dirty codes are unique and I believe it's a good glimpse of how the mind of the person who wrote it thinks, and that, that's what I call a psychological deduction step by step in all its splendor.

~WilliamasKumeliukas

@Exit  Try adding a custom extension with your code. or maybe .pdf or .html and let me know if it works.

Saludos

@WilliamasKumeliukas It's designed  for current user It would require some modification for make it work globally.

Saludos

@WilliamasKumeliukas about browser I know how to do it. I started doing a code for it time ago but didn't finish it. Maybe I get inspired again and finish it. 

Saludos