Read from an open file

Lemures

Is there any way to read the last line of a file that is constantly being written to? Ill just say it flat out: im trying to make a third party thing for Horizons. All its going to do is keep reading the log file, while Horizons always has open and is writing to, and have it play a sound when it says the "the resource you have been harvesting from has been depleted" message. This way i can be turned around watching tv or something, and i just listen for a beeping sound or something. I tried to have it wait until the selection is gone, but for some reason PixelSearch isnt working ><

Sure, here is the example from help with notes:

$x=0
$file = FileOpen("test.txt", 0)
; rename test.txt to your horizons filename
; Check if file opened for reading OK
If $file = -1 Then
     MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
     Exit
EndIf
; Read in lines of text until the EOF is reached
While 1
     $line = FileReadLine($file)
     If @error = -1 Then
; I changed exitloop, to just a delay. Adjust acordingly, warning this is currently an endless loop now.
; you may wish to have a while in here as well
$x=1 
; this found the first end, now you can use a if $x=1 and StringInStr($line,"harvesting from has been depleted",)  type solution
     sleep(500)
     EndIf
; instead of this msgbox, put in an if statement that say plays a wave file if $line has your text
; currently it does nothing but read the lines.
;     MsgBox(0, "Line read:", $line)
Wend
FileClose($file)

If you need any more help, I don't mind stopping the drugery of certain game time sinks.

I would put in a while winactive or something, or turn it on and off with autohotkey.

You can also put in a count and an ini file so that it always starts at the end, or such before it starts.

Ah what the heck, this will read to the end of the file, then check every half second to see if the text is in that line, and play the wave file if it is. Try it after adjusting the test.txt, and the sound file you want.

$x=0
$file = FileOpen("c:\program files\horizons\test.txt", 0)
; rename test.txt to your horizons filename
; Check if file opened for reading OK
If $file = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
    Exit
EndIf
While 1
    $line = FileReadLine($file)
    If @error = -1 Then
$x=1
    sleep(500)
    EndIf
if $x=1 and StringInStr($line,"harvesting from has been depleted")>0 then
SoundPlay("tada.wav")
;msgbox(1,$line,"Tada")
;put path in tada.wav, or place tada.wav in this directory.
endif
Wend
FileClose($file)

edit: oops had $file instead of $line

Edited by scriptkitty

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

Also note that in my above example, the wait a half second is for autoit, if you write 20 lines in that half second, it will still check all of them in the next loop, and ring the tada.wav if it finds it.

You could even run this from anouther computer with the horizon's directory shared, and thus turn up the sound only on that.

You could also make one of these to check for other online friends saying hi or something. Never played Horizons, but it looks like it could be fun. ( nice to take out the tedius things. )

I added the $x check part so that if your log file was already 1000 lines long, it wouldn't ring the wave file for old info.

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

wow, thanks. i just skimmed what you wrote, but im going to spend the next half hour working with it making a few things... thank you!!! Im against macro's in games that give people an advantage over others. This sort of thing doesnt really give me an advantage i dont think... oh well. whatever. lol. thanks!!

• 4 years later...

hi,

scriptkitty mentioned that if you write 20 lines in that half second, it will still check all of them in the next loop.

how do i make it such that it continues the search from the last EOF before the Sleep?

thanks.

mouse not found....scroll any mouse to continue.

• Moderators

This should keep track of all line changes... there's no logging.... just a simple concept:

Global $nLastEOF = 0
Global $sTextFound = ""
Global $nMonitorSleep = 500
Global $sFileLocationName = "File to track"

While 1
    $sTextFound = _FileMonitorLog($sFileLocationName, $nLastEOF)
    If $sTextFound <> "" Then MsgBox(64, "Last String Recorded", $sTextFound)
    Sleep($nMonitorSleep)
WEnd

Func _FileMonitorLog($sFile, ByRef $nLastEOF)
    Local $aSplit = StringSplit(StringStripCR(FileRead($sFile)), @LF)
    Local $sLog = ""
    If ($aSplit[0] > $nLastEOF) Then
        For $iCC = $nLastEOF + 1 To $aSplit[0]
            $sLog &= $aSplit[$iCC] & @CRLF
        Next
        $nLastEOF = $aSplit[0]
    EndIf
    Return $sLog
EndFunc
I wrote this in the quick reply box here... so there may be syntax mistakes... but the concept should be sound.

Edit:

I just noticed this topic is 5 years old!! Next time just start your own thread.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.