nickylarson

Tired of Windows update

2 hours ago, nickylarson said:

Hi all. Why does Windows keep the update so frequently? Honestly, no longer do I care about the changes after updating.

What a senseless question. Would you prefer an OS that doesn't patch vulnerabilities?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Oh I would just love to see the solution because there isn’t one. If you’re using windows 10 you’re stuck with updates unless you break your os. Then you’ll be sorry because things won’t work properly

I know just go spend $1000 and get server 2019 so you can just disable the update service

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

You can choose to say no to things that don't make sense to you,and Windows 10 updates can be disabled on your computer.

https://www.windows10passwordreset.com/disable-windows-10-auto-update.html

https://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10/1003724/how-to-stop-the-windows-10-upgrade-from-downloading/

These will help you disable Windows update on your computer,i did disable Windows 10 update on my computer with Link 1.

Edited by Juessin

56 minutes ago, Juessin said:

You can choose to say no to things that don't make sense to you,and Windows 10 updates can be disabled on your computer.

... and your point is?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

On 11/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, JLogan3o13 said:

Would you prefer an OS that doesn't patch vulnerabilities?

I guess the point that the OP wanted to make is that he did not want the frequent feature updates :)

On 11/3/2020 at 7:08 AM, Earthshine said:

If you’re using windows 10 you’re stuck with updates unless you break your os.

True, but for those who are brave enough to do that, there is a project called Windows 10 Ameliorated (which is 100% legal might I add for clarification) and you can use their scripts to remove many things which track you on Windows, the biggest one being Windows Update. So no more updates after you totally sterilizing W10 :D

On 11/3/2020 at 7:08 AM, Earthshine said:

I know just go spend $1000 and get server 2019 so you can just disable the update service

That's quite the price you need to pay to get an OS which you have slightly more control over the consumer version :blink:

There is always the possibility of installing Linux and Wine... especially with Steam now natively support Linux and Wine emulation, you can play many games including AAA ones like GTA V on your free OS without forced updates :drool:

I have heard good things about Pop! OS being the most user-friendly since it comes with proprietary drivers for hardware.

P.S If anyone is wondering, yes I run Linux, Arch Linux to be specific because I am a nerd and want to control my system as much as possible! (I promise that this statement is not related to my superiority complex ;))

yeah, I'm not so sure is MS would consider that "Legal"... and, I don't believe everything would still be 100% fully functional. I've seen other tools that strip stuff from windows and inevitably something is broken.

The way I see it is, updates are a GOOD thing. when i first got my anemic notebook and put win10 on it, it was great, but after updates it became even faster and more efficient, especially on network and wifi speeds. It's THEIR intellectual property, and as such you should abide by the rules if using it. If not, Linux is a great alternative.

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

yeah, I'm not so sure is MS would consider that "Legal"

It's not up for MS to decide, while they do own the IP, they can't control the law of the land. As stated on the AME website, the EU atleast has some legal text to support these types of modifications.

I don't believe everything would still be 100% fully functional.

Of course, you can't have Windows Updates and related things like automatic driver finding for example :)

There is also other stuff which might be broken in Windows-related programs, but aside from that all 3rd party programs (not depending on the MS Store) should work properly, even drivers I assume.

updates are a GOOD thing.

They are indeed, though when it comes to M$ they tend to become undesirable due to their unavoidable nature ;)

@Earthshine That's not really what I meant... Linux is indeed a viable alternative if you only want to browse the web or play games, however most of the geeks here probably do things in Windows that are either not possible on Linux (due to Windows-only software) or require adapting new technologies... and not to mention that power users will need to get used to the way things work in Linux if they are not already familiar with them.

Those are the challenges I faced when I first started using Linux.

Programming is a good example, if you have many useful AutoIt scripts and can't afford to lose them because you want to switch to Linux. This means you will have to find new tools to replace your scripts or re-write them yourself in some other language which works in Linux.

I have yet to find anything similar to AutoIt which works for Linux... and that is why I started my own little project to provide those coders who miss AutoIt-style coding in non-Windows platforms :D

--

Anyway, if you don't want to go through all that trouble which comes with switching to Linux, Windows AME is a relatively quick fix that will keep you satisfied until the Linux landscape improves further to lessen the burden for switching.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:53 AM, TheDcoder said:

I guess the point that the OP wanted to make is that he did not want the frequent feature updates :)

Thanks for decoding that enigma for me ;)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!