Microsoft Edge - WebView2, embed web code in your native application

mLipok

I couldn't hesitate (my wife had other plans anyway).

To check:
Just download and install the WebView2 Runtime: Evergreen Bootstrapper.
And run WebView2.au3 from Examples.
And it works !!!
Good job @LarsJ .. as always :)

image.png.8bca488f2d2a048a1e05cd83eaefddc8.png

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

@TheDcoder why are you so sour ? because of my wife ? ;)

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

I notice that using:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=n

It works too.

Question: @LarsJ do we must install any additional software or you just directly use attached WebView2Loader-x64.dll and WebView2Loader-x86.dll ?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@LarsJ do you agree that we should think like this would be a new version/replacement  for IE.au3 UDF ?

Could you confirm that this part:

_WinAPI_CoInitialize( $COINIT_APARTMENTTHREADED )

CoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentCompletedHandlerCreate()
    ConsoleWrite( "$pCoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentCompletedHandler = " & $pCoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentCompletedHandler & @CRLF & @CRLF )

CoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2ControllerCompletedHandlerCreate()
    ConsoleWrite( "$pCoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2ControllerCompletedHandler = " & $pCoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2ControllerCompletedHandler & @CRLF & @CRLF )

Local $hWebView2Loader = DllOpen( @AutoItX64 ? "WebView2Loader-x64.dll" : "WebView2Loader-x86.dll" )
    Local $aRet = DllCall( $hWebView2Loader, "long", "CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentWithOptions", "wstr", "", "wstr", "", _
                           "ptr", NULL, "ptr", $pCoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentCompletedHandler )
    If @error Or $aRet[0] Then Return ConsoleWrite( "CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentWithOptions ERR" & @CRLF )
    ConsoleWrite( "CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentWithOptions OK" & @CRLF & @CRLF )

is a replacement for _IECreate() ?

We should start with something that will be familiar, could you provide 1 other basic replacement for _IENavigate() ?
Than I think all interested in contribution/involvment (like me)  could start to create other/next IE functions replacment.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Opening post suplemented:

On 11/12/2020 at 11:43 AM, mLipok said:

TIMELINE/ChangeLog:

1. 2020-11-12 - Project propsed by @mLipok
  2. 2021-02-03 - First version provided by @LarsJ

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, ptrex said:

Here no go  so far :  "CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentWithOptions ERR"

This error is most likely due to a version of Microsoft Edge based on the Chromium code or the WebView2 runtime code not installed.

This what Edge says :

Microsoft Edge is up to date.Version 88.0.705.56 (Official build) (64-bit)

This is what I installed as runtime : WebView2 Runtime: Evergreen Bootstrapper.

MicrosoftEdgeWebview2Setup x64 bit

Not sure what else needs to be installed are prerequisite ?

same as @ptrex .....

I tried it on 3 different computers even after installing "WebView2 Runtime: Evergreen Bootstrapper" but still nothing. There is some detail that escapes us.

Are there any other "beta testers" who have tried this?

p.s.
..... Come on, @LarsJ and @mLipok, what other secret setting did you use !!??  ..... :D

Edited by Chimp

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

1 hour ago, Chimp said:

.... Come on, @LarsJ and @mLipok, what other secret setting did you use !!??  ..... :D

magic..... 🤐

But seriously, currently I'm at my office. Checked here, I have the same problem.
I will see what I can do.

CoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentCompletedHandler_AddRef

CoreWebView2CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentCompletedHandler_Release

CreateCoreWebView2EnvironmentWithOptions ERR
+>11:37:44 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:0
+>11:37:44 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 0    Time: 1.802

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I just download and install

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-US/microsoft-edge/webview2/#download-section

image.png.ce805dbf72c7e3d57685b0877bdf3f71.png

And try again using @LarsJ script, and now all is working fine.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@mLipok

That is exactly what I had installed yesterday, 

The link to the error refers to a missing folder that needs to exist for the WebView2 to operate in.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/reference/win32/webview2-idl?view=webview2-1.0.705.50#createcorewebview2environmentwithoptions

If it does not find that folder it will not start. 

Simular issues reported here

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=81354

not sure what was the fix though ... has to do with versioning ...

Edited by ptrex

I've followed the Getting started with WebView2 example. According to Prerequisites, I've installed the Microsoft Edge Chromium version and the WebView2 Runtime (Evergreen Bootstrapper). But I haven't installed a Beta/Dev/Canary version of Microsoft Edge. You could try to install e.g. the Beta version. In the AutoHotkey posts there are examples that this has been necessary.

I'm on Windows 10 update 1909. These are the relevant folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\88.0.705.56

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\1.3.139.71

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application\88.0.705.56

On Win10 version 2004 ( my PC ), it works after installing MicrosoftEdgeWebView2RuntimeInstallerX64.exe
We would have to see how far back ( for Larsj works on version 1909 ), this tech. works.
Unfortunately "Edition: Win 10" don't say much without "Version: xxxx", just as in WinXP was not the same in SP1 as in SP2, or Win98SE, etc. .

So do report your environment ( Edition and Version/Update ) when reporting about it.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

Hi guys,

All works fine 🙂

The reason is just a matter of telling the application where to look for the DLL.

Solution :

I found the it here : 

https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/5287858/WebView2-Edge-Browser-in-MFC-Cplusplus-Application

What to do, if Build is successful and when you run, it fails.

Open the project in the file system, there is one debug folder (which is created once the build is successful). In the debug folder, there are three different folders - arm64, x64, x86 and each one contains the file "WebView2Loader.dll".

So based on your environment, copy the "WebView2Loader.dll" file and paste where your .exe is located.

Root cause :

When you run the script in SciTE, it does not find the DLL because it is ran from the AutoIT folder...

When you compile the script and put is in the .EXE same folder as the DLL all runs fine ...

Check :

Once you have ran it, it will create a new folder and a bunch of sub folders and files :

Main Folder is called WebView2.exe.WebView2

Great job LarsJ  👌

Edited by ptrex

I just do a quick resarch. In WebView2.au3 put MsgBox and Navigate after GUISetState()

GUISetState( @SW_SHOW )

MsgBox(0, '', @ScriptLineNumber)
    $oCoreWebView2.Navigate( "https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/204362-microsoft-edge-webview2-embed-web-code-in-your-native-application/" )
    Sleep(2000)
    $oCoreWebView2.OpenDevToolsWindow()

image.thumb.png.c7ef55726d016ede7b07bd69d2f01f33.png

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

On 2/4/2021 at 3:27 PM, ptrex said:

... The reason is just a matter of telling the application where to look for the DLL ...

Hi @ptrex and thanks for the tips
I was only able to run this script when it was compiled.
You talk about the library "WebView2Loader.dll", but I have not found a trace. I guess we need to refer to the WebView2Loader-x64.dll or WebView2Loader-x86.dll libraries instead.
But where should I put these libraries to be able to run the script from SciTE without having to compile it every time I make a change?
I also tried to indicate in the script the full path of these libraries instead of just the file name, but it didn't help ...
Thanks again for any tip

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....