TheDcoder

EasyCodeIt - cross-platform AutoIt implementation

8 hours ago, seadoggie01 said:

Wait, y'all still use them? Wasn't that what AutoIt replaced? :o 

No quick or easy way around some things, especially if you want to display processing etc.

Sometimes it is just better to get AutoIt to run a batch file ... not that I am likely to do that with a batch file than contains a GoTo line.

But usually I am just quickly playing around with a Batch file, testing, before I then build an AutoIt alternative ... and troubleshooting can be easier in a batch.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

14 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

@seadoggie01 Sometimes it is just more convenient to use a batch script due to the native integration with Windows :)

@Earthshine Bash for *nix is basically what Batch is for Windows. Also, I personally prefer Makefiles and CMake ;)

Naw. I use them to automate MSBUILD and call them with intelligent Scripts and it also gets them out of our source control and builds them from scratch off a tag or branch. much more gracefully and elegant than batch language 

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

18 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

...and it also gets them out of our source control...

If I were an admin the hairs on my neck would be sticking straight up after reading that.

OTOH, as a developer I can only say: Right On!

Code hard, but don’t hard code...

Why? We have super strict security and restricted access based on who you are. Nothing wrong for config management to do authorized builds

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

4 hours ago, Earthshine said:

We have super strict security and restricted access based on who you are. Nothing wrong for config management to do authorized builds

Probably misunderstood you.  I thought you were saying that writing batch files evades source control because it “gets them out”.  But now I think you’re saying it “checks them out” of SC.  Sorry ‘bout that!

The hairs went down anyway, on their own :)

Code hard, but don’t hard code...