Automating Downloading Software Updates

Bob1234

Hey,

Since my last post was not read, and was locked because the moderator assumed it to be for automating a game, lets try this again.  This time, I request the moderator READ before throwing their weight around.  Your FAQ says: "Launching, automation or script interaction with games or game servers, regardless of the game."

As I said before, I'm trying to use AutoIT to automate downloading and installing software UPDATES for some emulators.  In case it's not obvious from that statement, this has nothing to do with automating a video game or video game server.  This is purely for downloading and updating emulator software, which isn't a game or a server.  Nowhere in your FAQ does it say anything is wrong with working with software.

If you still have a problem with this, then better fix your double standard in this post and update your FAQ so that it matches your sensibilities.

If I'm miraculously not censored again, maybe progress can be made. 

I'm trying to automate something I do fairly often, which is updating some Notepad++ **cough**emulator**cough** software.  I'm not the greatest at scripting, so I was hoping to use something like AutoIT, which has made some of this easy.  However in this instance I have to go to a BuildBot page, and downloading the latest version of the Notepad++ **cough**PCSX2emulator**cough**.   https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

I'm trying to figure out how to call the latest version, and download it.  Problem is, the file name is different for each update, and not really predictable.  example:https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php?m=dl&rev=v1.7.0-dev-653-g378eccc6e&platform=windows-x86

I imagine that I need to read the date in the table, and then reference the link next to it.  But I have no idea how to achieve this.  Would anyone be willing to help?

I expect this to be locked, and I'll have to move on to learning Python or something.

Cheers

51 minutes ago, Bob1234 said:

But I have no idea how to achieve this.  Would anyone be willing to help?

I expect this to be locked, and I'll have to move on to learning Python or something.

Didn't you mean you'll have to move on to "python or something" forums and ask "would anyone be willing to help"?  Because you've shown no evidence that you've learned or tried anything here.  :rolleyes:

Edited by TheXman

• Moderators

Bob1234,

Nice attitude! Just the way to win friends and get help - NOT!

This forum exists to help you get YOUR script working correctly - not just to produce fully-formed scripts for anyone who asks. Think of the old saying: "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; give a man a net and you feed him forever". We try to be net makers and repairers, not fishmongers.

So, what have you tried so far that does not work? Have you even looked through the Help file to see if there is a function which looks as if it might help in your quest? And as your search skills are evident from your OP, have you looked on the forum to see if there are any relevant threads on the subject?

If you show some initiative in coding something - even if it is far from correct - you will find that we will very happy to help. But if all you are prepared to do is to post in the manner you have adopted above and make absolutely no effort yourself - I suggest moving to another forum (in the hope that they might throw together something to help) might well be your best solution.  Your choice.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Developers
4 hours ago, Bob1234 said:

Yup, elitists here.  Fine, crap tool

@Bob1234,

When you have a quarrel with me you could have send me a PM in stead of showing you try identity. ;) 

Now I know I have made the right choice to close your thread and hope you find those better tools somewhere else ..... cya.

Jos 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)