[Solved] Excel RangeRead Help with sheet name selection

Hello,

I'm struggling and not sure what I'm missing with how to use the _Excel_RangeRead function.

Based on: https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/libfunctions/_Excel_RangeRead.htm

The second parameter should allow me to select different sheet names, however I can't seem to get it to work.

I was thinking something like this (see below) would be all I need to get an array for the sheet named as "test sheet". 

$array = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, "test sheet")

Can someone please help tell me what I'm missing here?

Thank you,

Edited by AnonymousX

1 minute ago, AnonymousX said:

Can someone please help tell me what I'm missing here?

Error checking:

Spoiler
_Excel_RangeRead()
If @error Then 
    ConsoleWrite("_Excel_RangeRead() ERR: " & @error & @CRLF)
Else
    ; Continue with the execution of your script
EndIf

Put some error checking in your script and see what happens.

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

No errors occur so not sure what to check.

I have _Arraydisplay($array) being used and it just seems to skip that line in the code. So I know something isn't working but I'm not sure what. I tried testing with other sheet names and no luck either.

Also thought it funny that I tried searching for how to check errors and your forum from 4 years ago came up. 

Edited by AnonymousX

I created a test excel workbook and it actually worked as intended for me...

but when I go back to try on the sheet I actually want to pull from it skips the array display, and has message box for done popup. I'm wondering if it has to do with all the objects on the sheet, things like checkboxes, hidden combo boxes, buttons, etc. As on a new excel sheet that just has a couple data entries it worked perfectly....

Seems like something in my excel sheet is messing it up. I'll probably have to tackle that one on my own with more troubleshooting.

#include <Excel.au3>

$Folderpath = @ScriptDir &"\test.xlsm"

Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $Folderpath)

$array = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook,"Data")

_ArrayDisplay($array)

MsgBox(0,0,"done")

Edited by AnonymousX

Try:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Excel.au3>

$sFolderpath = @ScriptDir & "\test.xlsm"

Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Error", "Error when starting Excel. @error=" & @error & ", @extended=" & @extended)

Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sFolderpath)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Error", "Error when opening workbook. @error=" & @error & ", @extended=" & @extended)

Local $aData = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, "Data")
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Error", "Error reading data - version 1. @error=" & @error & ", @extended=" & @extended)
_ArrayDisplay($aData, "_Excel_RangeRead - Version 1")

Local $aData = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, "Data", Default, 1, True)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Error", "Error reading data - version 2. @error=" & @error & ", @extended=" & @extended)
_ArrayDisplay($aData, "_Excel_RangeRead - Version 2")

MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, "Information", "Done")
Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

@water

Thanks Water, I gave that a go and was able to trigger an error. The problem is I don't understand how to use this new information on the error though....

I tried reading https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/SetError.htm but that didn't help me understand.

image.png.eb79905e58324bb77aed81bd080aa8b1.png

So I commented out the version 1 to see what would happen with version 2 and it worked! So can't say I understand, but thanks so much for helping me get to a solution.

Edited by AnonymousX

You did not get an error for "Version 2" and the read data was correctly displayed?

If yes, then the error was caused by the data in your workbook. Excel has same limitations I have described in the wiki.
To solve the problem use the "Version 2" line of code. This tells _Excel_RangeRead to ignore the Excel transpose function and use the internal function of the UDF.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It's not the default because usually Excel does a good job and does it FAST.
The internal function used to transpose the array is _ArrayTranspose from the Array UDF. It's much slower because it has to transpose the read data cell by cell.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

:)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I know this question is impossible to answer with out full context but in general what would your opinion be for speed purposes: would you think it be faster to run range read function once for a full sheet, or to run it a hand full of times to get specific cells that I'm after? 

It depends. On the size of the worksheet and the number of cells you need to process.
Most of the time reading the full worksheet and then processing the returned array is faster.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki