Windows FileSetTime $FT_CREATED

jaja714

Am I correct in assuming AutoIt cannot alter the creation timestamp of a windows file for security reasons?  i'm trying to FileCopy (and rename) thousands of spreadsheets to a new directory but I want to keep the file times.  FileSetTime works great for modified and accessed date but not for create date.  If this is a security violation, I suppose I can start over and use robocopy or something.

1 hour ago, jaja714 said:

Am I correct in assuming AutoIt cannot alter the creation timestamp of a windows file for security reasons?

As far as I can tell, No ;). Take a look at _Date_Time_SetFileTime

I copied a file to another directory and was able to restore the original creation timestamp.

Edited by Musashi
typo

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

FileSetTime, with $FT_CREATED, sets the create date just fine on my machine.  I just tested it on a Win7 box.  So if it doesn't work for you, then maybe there's an issue in your environment or your implementation.  Since you haven't shown the relevant code that you are using, it's REALLY hard to know why it may not be working for you.

Edited by TheXman

27 minutes ago, TheXman said:

FileSetTime, with $FT_CREATED, sets the create date just fine on my machine.

Yes, I can confirm that (for the sake of completeness only :) ). It is also easier to handle compared to _Date_Time_SetFileTime.

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

44 minutes ago, jaja714 said:

Unfortunately, _Date_Time_SetFileTime, needs a filehandle ...

To get the handle(s) of the respective file(s) you can use _WinAPI_CreateFile . The function name (...CreateFile) is a bit misleading, because with the parameter $iCreation=2 an already existing file can be opened. By using the parameter $iAccess=4 the timestamps can be inserted.

Musashi-C64.png