SSD Size & Longevity/Resilience/Speed

Dana86

My program is reading, writing & processing gbs of data everyday.

1. Will this eventually damage & reduce SSD write/read speed over time?

2. Would running programs off of multiple dedicated smaller SSDs help increase/retain performance?

If anyone knows that would be much appreciated!

I've been planning on investing in some SSDs!

• Moderators

That is a very broad question, as there is no one blanket rule for all SSDs - you have different quality drives that are purpose-built for different activities. If you Google "SSD longevity vs HDD" you will find a number of articles from different companies that have performed testing, on a wide array of hardware from normal 'home-user' grade to multi-thousand $$ enterprise drives using NAND and ECC.

Edit: Fixed spelling, up way too early this morning

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

The down side of SSD's is they have a limited number of writes but the limit is pretty big:

Samsung states that their Samsung SSD 850 PRO SATA, with a capacity of 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 or 1 TB,  is “built to handle 150 terabytes written (TBW), which equates to a 40 GB daily read/write workload over a ten-year period.”  Samsung even promises that the product is “withstanding up to 600 terabytes written (TBW).” A normal office user writes approximately between 10 and 35 GB on a normal day. Even if one raises this amount up to 40 GB, it means that they could write (and only write) more than almost 5 years until they reach the 70 TBW limit.

10 hours ago, Dana86 said:

My program is reading, writing & processing gbs of data everyday.

See if you can use a RAM disk for faster read/write. Also, I rather use NVMe over SSD.
If for long time storage, use something to attend to bit-rot.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

2 hours ago, argumentum said:

See if you can use a RAM disk for faster read/write.

Excellent suggestion, I use the RAM for all I/O heavy operations, it is the most durable AND the most fastest medium to process data :D

The only downside is that it is volatile, so no long-term storage. But it works great as long as your machine is powered :)

There are quite a few programs to do this in Windows, but I personally use ImDisk (which also supports mounting of disk images), I also think it offers an option for persistent RAM storage by automatically backing everything up in an image before shutting down.

2 hours ago, argumentum said:

Also, I rather use NVMe over SSD.

Strictly speaking, NVMe is a connection interface, the underlying storage system is always and SSD. I assume you are referring to SATA SSDs by "SSD" :)

--

I personally use the SSD for my OS partition as well as my home partition as it makes things fast, but for everything else, I use my other "SSD", i.e slow spinning disk :muttley:

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

6 hours ago, wolflake said:

The down side of SSD's is they have a limited number of writes but the limit is pretty big:

Samsung states that their Samsung SSD 850 PRO SATA, with a capacity of 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 or 1 TB,  is “built to handle 150 terabytes written (TBW), which equates to a 40 GB daily read/write workload over a ten-year period.”  Samsung even promises that the product is “withstanding up to 600 terabytes written (TBW).” A normal office user writes approximately between 10 and 35 GB on a normal day. Even if one raises this amount up to 40 GB, it means that they could write (and only write) more than almost 5 years until they reach the 70 TBW limit.

You should post the link to where you get your information 

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

5 hours ago, argumentum said:

See if you can use a RAM disk for faster read/write. Also, I rather use NVMe over SSD.
If for long time storage, use something to attend to bit-rot.

NVME is still an SSD just a different type and faster than SATA 3 ssd

nvme can be sata as well but the preferred type is the PCIE type of drive For the greatest speed And performance

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

4 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

The only downside is that it is volatile

The second downside is that RAM is small; even with 64 GB, many of my datasets wouldn't fit in there.:'(

4 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

ImDisk

I second the motion;:thumbsup:ImDisk is the best, free, open-source RAM disk manager I've ever used.

Edited by RTFC

6 minutes ago, RTFC said:

even with 64 GB, many of my datasets wouldn't fit in there.

It depends on the volume of data you could process at once, most people would be pretty happy with 64 GB I think.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

You can consider a RAID (-5 or -6) system of SSDs. Use a good dedicated RAID controler, like ARECA or similar. You'll minimize SSD wear yet benefit from RAID robustness and speed.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Yeah, I've long used 8 HP SAS drives (15k rpm) but these server-class HDDs are much more expensive than today's SSDs having a similar capacity. I still have my Areca ARC1882I RAID controller but I don't have any use of it now.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

SSDs are great, but they have 1 major inconvenience (it is well documented).  If there is an unexpected electricity shutdown, there is a small chance of corrupting the drive.  

It happened to me once, and I had to repair and reinstall OS.  But mine is quite old ~7 years.  I believe recent SSD drives are less vulnerable nowadays. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...