Newbie (Help Needed) Dialup Automation

Gil

All,

I am new to scripting and I am looking to write a program that will allow me to test my multiple dialup connections automatically for a specified period of time while logging the results in a log file, displaying real-time statistics and having the ability to email job reports.

I have started the script as follows and have the basic gui the way I want it displayed. I would love some pointers on how to accomplish the following tasks.

1. Creating a phonebook just to be used with this program.

2. Creating the entries for that phonebook via the program.

3. Being able to display the phonebook in a gui.

4. Creating an automated FTP script

5. Creating a script to email a log file

I know its a lot I am asking, Im not looking for someone to write the code, just give me some pointers/examples on how to accomplish what I want.

If you review the script below, I have tried to document what I am trying to accomplish as much as possible.

Thanks In ADVANCE:

SEE UPLOADED SCRIPT FILE:

automodem.au3

All,

I am new to scripting and I am looking to write a program that will allow me to test my multiple dialup connections automatically for a specified period of time while logging the results in a log file, displaying real-time statistics and having the ability to email job reports.

I have started the script as follows and have the basic gui the way I want it displayed. I would love some pointers on how to accomplish the following tasks.

1. Creating a phonebook just to be used with this program.

2. Creating the entries for that phonebook via the program.

3. Being able to display the phonebook in a gui.

4. Creating an automated FTP script

5. Creating a script to email a log file

I know its a lot I am asking, Im not looking for someone to write the code, just give me some pointers/examples on how to accomplish what I want.

If you review the script below, I have tried to document what I am trying to accomplish as much as possible.

Thanks In ADVANCE:

SEE UPLOADED SCRIPT FILE:

ok, based on what you've done already, i'm confident you can figure out how to do what you want to do, so i'll just kind of nudge in the right direction and allow you to develop your own answers (besides if you still run into issues, we're always here).

1,2,3) there are alot of ways you can make your phonebook, iniwrite/iniread will be probably the most suggested, but personally, i'd say to go with a .csv. If you make a form where they fill in the things needed, name, number, notes, blah blah blah, you can have it write the values to a file seperated by commas, then when you open the phone book for viewing, you can just StringSplit($line,",") to seperate the fields and assign the values where they go.

4) W0uter already has an FTP UDF available on the forums, you should check that out, and either just use it, or take ideas from it on how to reinvent your wheel. He knows his stuff so i can say that even though i've never had to use his FTP stuff, i'm confident that it's worth checking out.

5) do you use outlook? if yes, i can make you a com solution to write and send the mail, if not, there are several posts about e-mailing on the forums, with suggestions as to easily automatable mail clients etc.

In closing i want to say welcome to the forum, and nice work on your program so far. when it's done, you should definitely put it in scripts and scraps.

Edited by cameronsdad

OK guru's I ran into a problem that I know is an easy solution.

I have downloaded wouter FTP and example script. Works great.

I wanted to create a gui that would allow me to input the following information:

1. FTP Username

2. FTP Password

3. FTP Server IP

4. FTP File to Upload

Once you fill the form out and click save, it creates a file called ftpinfo.au3 with the following parameters:

$username = "user"

$pass = "pass"

$server = "ip"

$ftpfile = "file"

$Open = _FTPOpen('MyFTP Control')

$Conn = _FTPConnect($Open, $server, $username, $pass)

$Ftpp = _FtpPutFile($Conn, $ftpfile, $ftpfile)

$Ftpc = _FTPClose($Open)

This file would then be included in another script file that would perform an FTP Function at a specified time.

I am having issues with getting the input fields to pass information to the ftpinfo.au3 file in the right format. I have tested with just using the variables and the save button to pass the information. Any help would be great.

Thanks in ADVANCE....

I figured it out.....

OK guru's I ran into a problem that I know is an easy solution.

I have downloaded wouter FTP and example script. Works great.

I wanted to create a gui that would allow me to input the following information:

1. FTP Username

2. FTP Password

3. FTP Server IP

4. FTP File to Upload

Once you fill the form out and click save, it creates a file called ftpinfo.au3 with the following parameters:

$username = "user"

$pass = "pass"

$server = "ip"

$ftpfile = "file"

$Open = _FTPOpen('MyFTP Control')

$Conn = _FTPConnect($Open, $server, $username, $pass)

$Ftpp = _FtpPutFile($Conn, $ftpfile, $ftpfile)

$Ftpc = _FTPClose($Open)

This file would then be included in another script file that would perform an FTP Function at a specified time.

I am having issues with getting the input fields to pass information to the ftpinfo.au3 file in the right format. I have tested with just using the variables and the save button to pass the information. Any help would be great.

Thanks in ADVANCE....