Office 2010 Starter downloader

Jemboy

Several years ago Microsoft  published Office 2010 Starter. Office 2010 Starter was a free Office 2010, however some functions were disabled.
It installed only Microsoft Word and Excel and showed Microsoft advertisments during use.

Microsoft Starter 2010 works with a virtualization technology like V-App. It does not really install Office on your computer, but a virtualized office (like Office in a virtual machine).
To do this it creates a drive Q: which is not user accessable . If you are using drive Q: already, Office 2010 Starter won't work.

Office 2010 Starter could be installed using  a setup (SetupConsumerC2ROLW.exe) which downloaded the installation files from internet.
Sometime around 2012, Microsoft pulled the plug, so  the installation files couldn't be downloaded anymore.

A few days ago, I found the old executable and behold, I got it working again on my old computer with Windows 10 installed.
So Microsoft quietly activated the Office 2010 Starter files again, but will they pull the plug again in the near future ?

I found out that if the installation files are available locally, the setup won't need internet during the installation.
However the setup does not keep the files after installation, so I had to figure out how to get the installation files together locally.
Monitoring the installation I got some partial information how to download all the installation files needed.

This information was used to create the Office 2010 Starter downloader v1.0.
Be ware, this script works as is. Not a lot of error checking has been put in place. E.g. I do not check for downlad errors, but every language folder should be about 700 - 900 MB.

You are allowed to use this script in anyway execept asking money for it.
 In return, I ask you to donate at least € 1 or $1 to an organization against cancer in your country. E.g https://www.kwf.nl/donatie/donation

Office2010S_Download_1E.zip

Office2010S_Download_1F.zip

Edited by Jemboy

Please download the updated script Office2010S_Download_1F.zip (see attachment in first post)

I have updated the script (now v1.0.1), because I noticed twice, some files were not completely downloaded.
This could be potentially frustating when you try to install Office 2010 Starter later.😉

The script now requests the filesize before downloading and checks the size after each download.
If the file was not downloaded completely, the script wil inform the user and ask comfirmation to download the file again.

Only some main languages like Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian and Turkish and Ukrain were tested😀
Downloasing the files could take anything from 5, 10, 20 or even 30 minutes, so the other language have not yet been tested.
Should the download for a language not work, some feedback would be appreciated.

Also from the downloaded files, I only installed the Dutch, English and Turkish Office 2010 Starter (all seperately) as a test.

image.png.fb2bdaa30167774d9d304730e63d5c5c.png

Known issues: 

• I am using an alternative explorer, and noticed it froze periodically during download, however I have like over 100 Chrome tabs open, so that may also be part of the freeze.

Edited by Jemboy

• 2 years later...
45 minutes ago, Baguviks said:

Does the 32 bit version exist?

Yes, actually the office suite is 32 bit.
What you can do is install AutoIt and the .au3 file will have a line like this:
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=y
,remove it and I'm sure it will work just fine. 

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

I have tried both 1E and 1F. Both give a message that the version # has changed and asks if I want to locate it and download.

Then it says could not find a recent version and exits the install.   I have tried changing the DNS to Google 8.8.8.8 and FreeDNS but get the same errors.

I'm running a 64 bit Win 10 system.  Is there any work around ?

Thank you.

• Developers

Where do you get this message as I've just tried the 1F version and it downloaded a whole bunch of file into the bin directory for my default language (Dutch)?

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Thanks for the wonderful tool and script.
On Linux, installation with wine has an issue:
The script (Both version E and F) couldn't load update directory files and office setup program refuses to install by saying corrupted installation file.
The script (version F) itself terminates with the following error message:

Screenshot from 2024-02-01 02-11-00.png

1 hour ago, Ankara said:

On Linux, installation with wine

You can try the download part on a Windows box and copy the "\bin\" folder. Then run the installation since you've got all the files but, then again, it'll try to make a Q: drive and run it from that and, good luck with wine handling that :(

None the less, try it and let us know if that worked :) 

• Developers

That error is likely due to the fact that the InternetExplorer com objects aren't loaded in wine? 
I believe this line is the actual culprit: $oHTTP = ObjCreate("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1") in this func:

Func _URLStatus($aURL)              ;(c)2016 by VIP   - https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/182454-url-status-check/?tab=comments#comment-1310379
    $oHTTP = ObjCreate("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1")
    $oHTTP.Open("HEAD", $aURL, False)
    If @error Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    $oHTTP.Send()
    If @error Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
    Return $oHTTP.Status
EndFunc   ;==>_URLStatus

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Thank you for prompt and helpful response.

I have downloaded allthe necessary files from a windows 10 machine and copied them to my linux installation without any issue for two different language sets. (I made the full installaton on that windows machine also wtihout any issues.)

When I start the setup file (setupconsumerc2rolw.exe) on Linux machine, I got that corrupted installation file message again as attached.

It seems that my wine setup couldn't handle the file properly.

Thanks again for all the information. And if there are any suggestions to follow I will be more than happy.

Thank you for prompt and helpful response.

I have downloaded allthe necessary files from a windows 10 machine and copied them to my linux installation without any issue for two different language sets. (I made the full installaton on that windows machine also wtihout any issues.)

When I start the setup file (setupconsumerc2rolw.exe) on Linux machine, I got that corrupted installation file message again as attached.

It seems that my wine setup couldn't handle the file properly.

Thanks again for all the information. And if there are any suggestions to follow I will be more than happy.

Screenshot from 2024-02-01 18-21-39.png

On 3/23/2021 at 9:06 AM, Jemboy said:

Sometime around 2012, Microsoft pulled the plug, so  the installation files couldn't be downloaded anymore.
A few days ago, I found the old executable and behold, I got it working again ....

No clue why it works nor why wouldn't. I don't think they support this version anyway. In any case, I got it to work in English from the US a few days back. Maybe is country dependent. But again, no clue.

• Developers

Folks, these aren't the supportforums for old microsoft installers. The AutoIt3Part works perfectly and downloads the files. 
So maybe try to find a forum that has more takers for these kind of issues? 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 2 weeks later...

After downloading and trying to install the setupconsumer file; it told me there are already versions of x64 installed on my pc and it cannot install a x32 application

What do i do?

• Developers
20 minutes ago, TINKA said:

What do i do?

Search the Internet for solutions as this is the AutoIt3 support forum and not an MS install support forum!

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Jos locked this topic