Changing The Computer Name

Hi I just wondering if anyone knows a way to change the computer name in NT4 and XP.

I am writing an auto it script but don't want to do the whole keystroke thing for changing the computername. I am hoping there is another way like via the registry or by calling some 3rdparty app.

I searched for it, and found this program :

BAPTIZE

This tool sets the computername to the specified value without the need to

reboot the machine.

It's commandline, it doesn't need to be installed and it's small; only 11kb !

PS !

Haven't tested it, but it seems like a pretty neat application !

EDIT : If you want a pure AutoIt way to change the computername there is probably a better way,

and you could check out the DOS-command net computer..

Don't know if that works either...I'm on a public computer..

I think the syntax for net computer is something like this :

net computer helge /add
Edited by Helge

Also if your computer is part of a domain/AD you will need to use netdom.exe, tho i think that netdom will only work with 2k/xp. nt you will have to do a couple of reboots to get it work correctly. You can also change a few reg entries but that will only work if its in a workgroup not a domain. netdom is part of the deploy utils on the xp cd.

I've created a au3gui to perform some tasks when I install a new computer.

1. change the computer name after run sysprep. this is done because our computer names are setup like this (floor+room+wirecloset)

2. updates bios on compaq/hp pcs

and a few other minor things.

Triton

Vickerps,

I used baptize earlier this year to move +/- 50 PC's (all WinNT 4.0) from one domain to a different domain, I also used Netdom to add the new pc name to the new domain ( I changed the name of the PC in the process). The script was written in AutoIt ver 2.64, I'll dig it up and post it if your interested?

Z/K

sorry not been on for a bit something came up. ZenKensei thanks for the offer i should be ok should be to hard and i am trying to get use to v3 anyway.

Triton what are those ini entries your talking about i am only want the workgroup way i have no need for domain for this one.

Also has anyone found a util or done a script for changing the IP,subnet, and gateway.

Thanks for all your support

The 2 registry entries are:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName]

"ComputerName"="ComputerName"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName]

"ComputerName"="ComputerName"

Try looking in the REG @

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\TcpIp\Parameters\Interfaces

The problem with that is you will have to find a way to figure out what interface to change. what I mean is the guid of the interface.

Edited by Triton
Triton

Thanks Triton

The registry for the ip address won't work because there under a random key which you can't assign for in autoit do know of a good util for change IP,subnet,gateway on NT and XP for Pc in a workgroup enviroment.