Scite opens new untitled script when it shouldn't

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I discovered it a while back and can't figure out why it's doing it. The problem is this: when I create a new script, and before I save it for the first time, it is called untitled. Good so far. Then, if I press space to accept a built-in function, it creates a new untitled script and switches me to that one. Back in the original untitled script, the function is there as it should be. It's really weird.

That's not the best description, so here's an example. I have my blank script. I type "stl" and press space. It should change it to StringTrimLeft() and keep me in the same window. Well the StringTrimLeft() is there, but I'm in another script. Why is that? Could it be one of the properties files that I might have edited? I don't recall ever seeing a lua function (I think it's lua) that would open a new script, but I can't be certain.

It happens will all functions, as far as I can tell. So it doesn't have anything to deal with the individual function.

• Moderators

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I discovered it a while back and can't figure out why it's doing it. The problem is this: when I create a new script, and before I save it for the first time, it is called untitled. Good so far. Then, if I press space to accept a built-in function, it creates a new untitled script and switches me to that one. Back in the original untitled script, the function is there as it should be. It's really weird.

That's not the best description, so here's an example. I have my blank script. I type "stl" and press space. It should change it to StringTrimLeft() and keep me in the same window. Well the StringTrimLeft() is there, but I'm in another script. Why is that? Could it be one of the properties files that I might have edited? I don't recall ever seeing a lua function (I think it's lua) that would open a new script, but I can't be certain.

It happens will all functions, as far as I can tell. So it doesn't have anything to deal with the individual function.

I'm not able to reproduce even using your exact example :lmao: , mine just brings up StringTrimLeft(|) the '|' being the cursor location.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

Nope, opened a new one, and just typed stl {space} and gave me the above results. But I've not messed with any of SciTe's original settings either.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Developers

Just tested and can confirm this behaviour.

I don't have a fix for it yet other then to make sure that you save the script first as *****.au3.

It is the scite.open() LUA statement that causes this behaviour which is used to triggers the CallTip to be shown after the function is expanded.

-- Show Calltip when inside function
if repword ~= "" and braceopenpos then
    scite.Open(props["FilePath"] .. "\nmenucommand:232")
end

I had never seen this before because i always copy an existing script or save it first since else all defined tools don't work like F5 ect......

:lmao:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Yeah, I have not seen this as yet, but am like JdeB, starting a new script is useless until you actually save it first.

I use a Temp Script creator tool from Scite Tools which creates the scripts in @TempDir & '\Au3'. Most scripts that I do not want get trashed by CCleaner, which is set to a custom setting to clean this folder. If I do want to keep a script then I would need to copy it to another new script for permanent saving. Most do get trashed as mostly tests or tidyed forum scripts etc.

Here is the script I use from a subfolder within the Scite directory, if interested. Rather simple but effective. Saves your system building up with trash scripts.

; temp script

DirCreate(@TempDir & '\Au3')
$tempfile = _TempFile(@TempDir & '\Au3', 'TEMP_', '.au3', 3)
$scite = @ScriptDir & '\..\Scite.exe'

FileWrite($tempfile, '; Temporary Script  ' & StringReplace($tempfile, @TempDir & '\Au3\', '') & @CRLF & @CRLF)

If FileExists($scite) And FileExists($tempfile) Then
    $tempfile = StringReplace($tempfile, '\', '\\')
    Run('"' & $scite & '" "-open:' & $tempfile & '" "-goto:3"')
EndIf

Exit

Func OnAutoItStart()
    Local $title = @ScriptName & ' Interpreter'
    If WinExists($title) Then Exit
    AutoitWinSetTitle($title)
EndFunc

Func _TempFile($s_DirectoryName = @TempDir, $s_FilePrefix = "~", $s_FileExtension = ".tmp", $i_RandomLength = 7)
    Local $s_TempName
; Check parameters
    If Not FileExists($s_DirectoryName) Then $s_DirectoryName = @TempDir  ; First reset to default temp dir
    If Not FileExists($s_DirectoryName) Then $s_DirectoryName = @ScriptDir; Still wrong then set to Scriptdir
; add trailing \ for directory name
    If StringRight($s_DirectoryName, 1) <> "\" Then $s_DirectoryName = $s_DirectoryName & "\"
    Do
        $s_TempName = ""
        While StringLen($s_TempName) < $i_RandomLength
            $s_TempName = $s_TempName & Chr(Random(97, 122, 1))
        WEnd
        $s_TempName = $s_DirectoryName & $s_FilePrefix & $s_TempName & $s_FileExtension
    Until Not FileExists($s_TempName)
    Return ($s_TempName)
EndFunc

Just tested and can confirm this behaviour.

I don't have a fix for it yet other then to make sure that you save the script first as *****.au3.

It is the scite.open() LUA statement that causes this behaviour which is used to triggers the CallTip to be shown after the function is expanded.

end

I had never seen this before because i always copy an existing script or save it first since else all defined tools don't work like F5 ect......

:lmao:

You may not have seen the bug manifest itself but you've certainly seen Lua code that avoids problems like this:

function SciteMenuCommand(n)
            -- If the file hasn't been saved to disk, FilePath isn't set so check for this
            if (props["FilePath"] ~= "") then
                scite.Open(props["FilePath"] .. "\nmenucommand:" .. n)
            end
            return false
        end -- SciteMenuCommand()

I typically received an error in the console, however, not a new file. Anyway, the above code is how I avoid the problem.

Excellent, I fixed it. I combined the ideas/code from JdeB and Valik and changed this in the AutoIt3.LUA file in my Scite folder.

Orginal:

end

end
    return false

My changed line:

end
end

Thanks guys.

Edited by greenmachine

• Developers

You may not have seen the bug manifest itself but you've certainly seen Lua code that avoids problems like this:

end
            return false

I typically received an error in the console, however, not a new file. Anyway, the above code is how I avoid the problem.

Already put this exact code in my copy of AUtoIt3.lua but it ofcourse won't show the tooltip anymore for none saved buffers. ... Looked if there is a lua command to make the Calltip popup without having to fill it myself... (Remember I had it coded like that in the beginning ?) Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Already put this exact code in my copy of AUtoIt3.lua but it ofcourse won't show the tooltip anymore for none saved buffers. ... Looked if there is a lua command to make the Calltip popup without having to fill it myself... (Remember I had it coded like that in the beginning ?)

Went back through the CVS updates and found the code I had in there to create the CallTip with LUA code before it was replaced with the scite.open statement:

if props["FilePath"] ~= "" then
    end 
end

This code works also on None saved buffers............

f = io.open(props['SciteDefaultHome'].."\\api\\au3.api")
    if f ~= nil then
        local apitxt = f:read('*a')
        if apitxt then
            f:close()
            local rep_start = string.find(string.lower(apitxt),"\n" .. string.lower(repword).."[\n ]")
            if rep_start ~= nil then
                rep_end = string.find(apitxt,"\n",rep_start+2)-1
                repword = string.sub(apitxt,rep_start+1,rep_end)
                -- put the description on the next line..
                repword =  string.gsub(repword, "%)", "%)\n",1)
                editor:CallTipShow(from, repword)
            end
        end
    end
end
Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

JdeB, does that code correctly highlight the current function parameter in bold like SciTE's default handling does?

Edit: My guess is no since it doesn't use editor:CallTipSetHlt(). I think keeping the current parameter highlighted would also require a lot more processing than just reading the line from the API file. It gets really complicated when nested function calls are involved.

Edited by Valik

• Developers

JdeB, does that code correctly highlight the current function parameter in bold like SciTE's default handling does?

No, but you knew that already ofcourse.... :lmao:

This can be fixed by adding SciteMenuCommand(IDM_SHOWCALLTIP)

Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

So essentially you'll get at minimum a call-tip with the file either saved or unsaved but if you are saved, you'll also get correct parameter highlighting. Correct?

With the last version it will correctly show the CallTip with the proper info and the last addition ensures the proper highlighting in both saved and New buffers.... Edited by JdeB

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Doesn't work as i described... Did some more testing and the highlighting of the parameter is using the same syntax so will never work properly unless saved first.....

I am not going to worry about this too much, since the file should first be saved anyway for all other functions to work.

Will just put in the If to avoid opening a new buffer and put a warning in the Output pane....

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.