SciTE4AutoIt3 Issue in Dual Monitor Environment

Mbee

Hi, @Jos and others!

I've been running SciTE4AutoIt3 under Windows 7 Pro then Windows 10 Pro for years with a dual-monitor setup. What an awesome set of tools! I'm using version 4.4.6, 32-bit - aka SciTE4AutoIt3 v21.316.1639.2

Until two days ago, when I double-clicked an au3 file, SciTE opened it's window on my secondary monitor, which is just where I wanted it. But now, all of a sudden, it always opens on the primary monitor, which is just where I don't want it! UltraEdit and Notepad++ always open on the monitor where the last window was opened, which is fine. But not SciTE4AutoIt3.

It's possible that this problem is related to a newly encountered issue wherein Windows apparently arbitrarily decided that the desktop on the secondary at the long-standing resolution of 1920x1080 should no longer fit the display. I booted up a few days ago to find that the taskbar was no longer visible and the other three edges wouldn't fit either. I was forced to change the resolution to  1680x1050. Perhaps SciTE4AutoIt3 will automatically choose the monitor with the highest resolution?

To try to solve this issue myself, I've examined all the Options files, but I can't find anything related to monitors. How can I get SciTE to open on my secondary monitor again?

Thanks!

Edited by Mbee
Added version info

• Developers

I am not familiar with this and can't test it as I don't have this kind of setup. ...hope others can chime in here. :) 

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Thanks anyway, Jos! 😃

I need to add another symptom that might be related to both the SciTE4AutoIt3 issue at hand and the weird resolution issue I discussed in my OP: Whenever I save a change (with ctrl-S) in the editor, my Primary monitor flashes! WTH?

I've seen and read a lot of posts complaining that all of a sudden their desktop no longer fits on their monitor (whether dual or not). So far, the only "solution" I've seen is to do just what I've already done -- reduce the resolution of their monitor. I'll keep on looking, but first I'll try SFC. I've already tried re-installing my graphics driver (nVidia)...

I used to run multiple monitors on my W7 docked laptop but now it's down to just a single monitor. Occasionally I would strike issues with apps opening on the wrong screen and sometimes it was a wrestling match. I'm still on W7 and have nothing to offer you.

However, I never click on a .au3 file because I have seventeen windows open in Scite and I have had issues in the past where clicking on an .au3 would close all the previously open files.

So, I always run Scite from a desktop shortcut. Have you tried this to see if it makes any difference?

Phil Seakins

• Developers

You could always download an older/previous SciTE.exe by downloading the zip and extracting it from the archive here, and test to see whether they don't have the issue.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

It works for me with SciTE4AutoIt3 16.612.1119.0, I have three monitors and tested (opened and closed and opened on the same screen) on all three screens.  For your second issue, you can use the following:

• Scite » Options » Open User Options File
  • Change: check.if.already.open=0

When you right click an .au3 file and select edit it should open in a new Scite instance.

actually, there is a menu:
image.png.6ee13900a7889d1cdbeb201196b37075.png
just deselect "Open Files Here" and that is sufficient.
No need to "check.if.already.open=0" unless you want to make the behavior default.

On 4/17/2021 at 2:33 PM, Mbee said:

How can I get SciTE to open on my secondary monitor again?

As far as I can see, it will open in the x,y,w,h it had last time you closed it.

If that is not so for some darn reason, we can code around it with AutoIt :D 

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png