Linux tools for an AutoIT script deployment to Windows machines ?

Hi there.

At work we use RemoteExec for the deployment of AutoIT scripts to our Windows computers (that we need because of some proprietary software that doesn't have Linux ports nor equivalent).

My computer is on Debian Buster so I have to use a Windows VM in order to use RemoteExec.

Is there a native Linux tool that can be used instead of RemoteExec to deploy these AutoIT scripts ?

I know there are good deployment tools like Saltstack that can administer Windows computers, but AFAIK they don't allow to deploy autoIT scripts, and they need a specific tool on the client (like Saltstack-minion).

Hi, have you considered Wine? Just making sure you didn't miss that obvious option.

Deployment of VMs can be pretty easy as far I understand, just setup an initial VM and export it using the friendly interface of whatever hypervisor you are using. VirtualBox is the best free option and it allows you to export virtual machines in a portable format, so you can just copy them across different computers and import them.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

Hi.

I do not deploy VMs (as of now at least) nor deploy to VMs (again, as of now) but I do deploy from a VM.

I maybe could use Wine indeed, my feeble experience with it is that it's usually less of a hassle to install a VM (as I did).

But I would like to know if people have experience deploying autoIT scripts with Ansible or Puppet (or whatever professional tool exist on Linux) from a Linux computer ?

I am sorry, I am not sure I understand, you have a Linux VM (guest) that you are using and want to deploy an AutoIt script onto the Windows host OS?

7 hours ago, Iutech said:

I maybe could use Wine indeed, my feeble experience with it is that it's usually less of a hassle to install a VM (as I did).

That's not true at all, Wine is usually plug-and-play in many Linux distributions... you just install it via the package manager and everything is automatically ready, some distros even provide support for direct execution of Windows executables just like they were Linux binaries.

But I would like to know if people have experience deploying autoIT scripts with Ansible or Puppet (or whatever professional tool exist on Linux) from a Linux computer ?

I don't know anything about those tools, but you can also compile your script and deploy the resultant EXE like any other program.

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

On 5/28/2021 at 12:08 AM, TheDcoder said:

I am sorry, I am not sure I understand, you have a Linux VM (guest) that you are using and want to deploy an AutoIt script onto the Windows host OS?

I have a Linux host, on which I do not do AutoIT (or I use Atom to write AutoIT scripts, but I do not deploy from Linux as of now).

I have a Windows VM, and that's from that VM that as of now I deploy AutoIT scripts.

The goal is to get rid of that Windows VM and deploy directly from my Debian physical machine, to Windows physical machines in the network (and maybe to Windows VMs too one day, but not right now).

About Wine, I mostly have experience with games, and with the exception of CrayonPhysics I never was able to have one up and running...

Maybe you're right and I should try to use RemoteExec from Wine (but my chief is apparently ready to ditch RemoteExec so having a professional tool directly from Linux is probably better, if I can just identify the right one).

And yes, the AutoIT scripts we use are usually quite simple ones, like installing and configuring softwares.

And we do compile them before deployment, so Puppet or Ansible would work just fine for deploying them on Windows computers ?

And we do compile them before deployment, so Puppet or Ansible would work just fine for deploying them on Windows computers ?

Yes, just like any other program.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, you can't put it all on me, I don't even have erectile dysfunction... let's pretend that this post doesn't exist :muttley:

Edited by TheDcoder

• Developers

Guys, What about simply reporting the post in stead of commenting as these now totally make ZERO sense. ;) 
These post will self-destruct soon. 
Edit is fine too.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)