Hungry to learn need direction

Hello I want to learn autoit and am willing to put in the time and effort.  So far I have downloaded books watched several videos on “udemy and YouTube as and browsed the forums.  Have learned something’s but there is a lot of it that is out dated and no longer relative.  Could anyone suggest books or tutorials that are recent and  up to date  I could study and learn.  I want to make sure I am channeling my time in energy in the most efficient path possible I humbly submit reading the exchanges I feel like I feel like a 3rd grader in a room full of phds.  Would greatly appreciate any guidance or direction that any of my fellow board members could give me.

The wiki is a good place to start. As a first step I would have a look at sections "Introduction" and "Tutorials".

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I wrote a book that covers some of the concepts at a high level (link below).  In my opinion, the help file that is the best source for the most up to date changes to the language.  This book follows along with the help file so if you unfamiliar with how to interpret the functions etc. it could be a good start if any of that is confusing.  Would be good to know what types of things are challenging to you after you have read those other materials to point you in the right direction.  Also, I would highly recommend thinking of a project, even a small one, and trying to code it - "on the job learning" so to speak.  This forum is awesome for asking questions when you are stuck.

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

Are you using SciTE as your code editor? Have you installed the help files? Read the examples and experiment, changing a little at a time to see what happens.

Plan your project before you write any actual AutoIT code, writing down what you hope to achieve in higher level pseudo-code.

Example:

• set up your environment
  • define all your variables
  • open file for input
  • read file line by line
  • process the information
  • loop until finished
  • close file
  • cleanup is high level pseudo code that can be implemented in almost any computer language. Actually spell it out, not just have it in the back of your mind.

The trap of learning to code in a particular language (such as scripting in AutoIT), before you understand the concepts needed to implement your goals is one we all fall into. Playing in a sandbox and trying things is a viable alternative when starting out, as often you learn the most when things break, not when they (unexpectedly and surprisingly) run well. Learn programming concepts first, variables, loops, branching, functions, error handling, files and data storage/access, etc, that are absolutely fundamental to being able to program in any language. Later you learn to break your code into manageable chunks, add debugging, document everything, test everything, and do things like add version control and staged releases into production.

My secret: Code walkthough with a twist. Grab an innocent bystander - your grandmother, your next door neighbour teenager, somebody that doesn't know programming (important), and verbally explain to them what you are trying to achieve and the methods you are trying to get there. Use your computer terms, don't simplify. Ignore their reaction - you just need them to be attentive and listen.  If you (not them) don't get confused and run off as you realise you have omitted something, there is a very good chance your program will be a success. Don't use a mirror - it doesn't work! For bigger projects, do this at the pseudo code level. Later go back and do it for actual language. You will be astonished how effective this is!

Edited by Confuzzled

• Moderators

SkysLastChance,

On the contrary, i think Confuzzled's instructions were clear and extremely pertinent to the OP's request. Pseudo-coding your requirements is an excellent way to start any programming task, regardless of the language. And understanding the basic concepts of programming is again vital, no matter which language you use.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Grasshopper, were were all naive once. Fresh eyed, seeing the world with awe and wonder.

Life would have been a lot easier with a gentle hand holding, and a little less spoon feeding. Someone to light the way with a flickering candle.

Stand on the shoulders of giants. Ask lots of pertinent questions with an open mind. Pay it forward. Be generous. Try and surprise a complete stranger with an unselfish act of kindness, at least once daily - it will be good for your soul.

1 hour ago, Confuzzled said:

...verbally explain to them what you are trying to achieve and the methods you are trying to get there. Use your computer terms, don't simplify. Ignore their reaction - you just need them to be attentive and listen

If nobody is available, modest results can be attained using davie504 or similar...

Code hard, but don’t hard code...

Come on guys ... we are in the Help & Support forum, not the chat section ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Want to thank everyone for their advice and encouragement.  Have made a major break through today well at least a major break through for me.  I was able to run a script that successfully opened chrome to face book filled in user name and password.  I am feel ecstatic right now been two weeks of no success and feeling discouraged mostly just a matter of having up-to-AutoIT editor and the right files in the right directories.  Is there a way to copy and paste  in a chrome script.  Looking to run a script that retrieves data from one web form to either another web form or to an off line document excel or pdf.  Greatly appreciate any feed or suggestions  that you could share