Using Variables like in DOS

Maybe a stupid question but i how can you use simple commands like "copy C:\Documents and Settings\%username% C:\Backup" for an example?

Does it needs an extra character or am i missing something?

Reason:

Because i want to make a script for copying the most common things and keep the script AutoIT only.

I can do it by running a batch script from AutoIT script, but this is not a nice solution.

The variables from the SET command in DOS prompt is the list wich i would like to use in AutoIT

Edited by Iznogoud

you could do

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'copy C:\Documents and Settings\%username% C:\Backup', "", @SW_HIDE)

as well

you can do every doscommand in the ' '

I hoped this one would get passed here ;)

This is just the one i tried in different ways, but with the ComSpec line you can't use %username% or %temp% etc. I will try the other right away o:)

And yes i have looked at the help file, but you need to know where to look for.

Now i do :lmao: "Macro Reference"

Edited by Iznogoud

Using DOS commands with @COMSPEC can provide some very handy shortcuts (especially when it comes to recursion, but that's another topic ;) ) ..

TIP: first get the syntax right by trying it out at the command prompt.

When I tried out what you're doing, at my own command prompt, I got an error message saying "The system cannot find the file specified" - whether I was using a copy or dir command. However, using cd on the same path specification worked fine...

dir C:\Documents and Settings\%username%   <-- fails
dir C:\Documents and Settings\Trids     <-- fails
cd C:\Documents and Settings\%username% <-- works
cd C:\Documents and Settings\Trids       <-- works

.. which suggests where the "problem" lies: that dir and copy evidently won't let you hack into the C:\Documents and Settings\ folders, while cd behaves as expected (subject to your Windows access rights).

Bottom line .. don't be discouraged from using DOS commands with AU3, just be sure to confirm expected results at the DOS prompt while you're coding, so that you can make informed decisions.

HTH

:lmao: