Error in Wiki

Ontosy

1 hour ago, Ontosy said:

Correct is:
$g_idButton3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("MsgBox 2", 10, 10, 80, 30)

Fixed.
Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

I think the intent is to avoid overwriting the global variable of the same name.

No. It was my mistake.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

@mikell take a look I hope this is fixed now

Edited by mLipok
typo

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Please check also last example for MessageLoop_Mode section

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, mLipok said:

Please check also last example for MessageLoop_Mode section

What does initializing to 9999 do?

Global $g_hGUI1 = 9999, $g_idButton1 = 9999, $g_idButton2 = 9999, $g_hGUI2 = 9999, $g_idButton3 = 9999 ; Predeclare the variables with dummy values to prevent firing the Case statements, only for GUI this time

Code hard, but don’t hard code...

29 minutes ago, JockoDundee said:

What does initializing to 9999 do?

If you don't assign a value to those controls, they are by default equal to zero.  $GUI_EVENT_NONE is also equal to zero.  So the Switch Case of any of the controls not preset will be triggered at each round of the loop.  Not a good idea...

1 hour ago, Nine said:

If you don't assign a value to those controls, they are by default equal to zero. 

Ok, but in the code in question all the gui1 variables are assigned to their controls before any event loop is queried.  So maybe it’s not always strictly necessary, but just a good practice to get in the habit of doing in case you leave them unassigned?

3 hours ago, Nine said:

So the Switch Case of any of the controls not preset will be triggered at each round of the loop.

What about instead of setting numerous variables to 9999 just doing it like this:

Switch GUIGetMsg()
   Case $GUI_EVENT_NONE
      ContinueLoop  ; or do nothing
   Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
      ExitLoop
   Case $idButton1          
      MsgBox($MB_OK, "MsgBox 1", "Test from Gui 1")
   Case $idButton2
      GUICtrlSetState($idButton2, $GUI_DISABLE)
      gui2()
   Case $g_idButton3
      MsgBox($MB_OK, "MsgBox 2", "Test from Gui 2")
EndSwitch

I agree , otherwise I can't see any reason why this $GUI_EVENT_NONE constant exists (and is mentioned in the helpfile as an Event ID)

Edit
BTW this 9999 method is a bit confusing. These examples are intended for 'new coders' so they should be as simple / clear / understandable as possible

Edited by mikell

I'v just "added Case $GUI_EVENT_NONE to prevent declaring Button = 9999"

Take a look:
https://www.autoitscript.com/w/index.php?title=Managing_Multiple_GUIs&type=revision&diff=14576&oldid=14575

And then a question popped up in my head:
Why to use the same method "9999" for GUI ?

For this reason I also added:
If Not IsHWnd($aMsg[1]) for preventing subsequent lines from processing when nothing happens

Take a look:
https://www.autoitscript.com/w/index.php?title=Managing_Multiple_GUIs&type=revision&diff=14577&oldid=14576

... or just simply here:
https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Managing_Multiple_GUIs

btw.
The "9999" has been there since the beginning, I mean since 2012 when @Melba23 created this document.
Maybe @Melba23 will want to express his opinion in this discussion.
I hope he will like the current form of the WiKi examples.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

IMHO these new versions are nice :)

About "If Not IsHWnd($aMsg[1])" it's clean, though honestly I'm not sure that it is (in practice) such important. The help file says :
"If no cases match the Switch value, then the Case Else section, if present, is executed. If no cases match and Case Else is not defined, then none of the code inside the Switch structure, other than the initial expression, will be executed."
and I don't think that checking $aMsg[1] in a Switch statement consumes a lot more resources than the IsHWnd() condition

Why we was doing change in case of

Global $g_idButton3 = 9999

To use $GUI_EVENT_NONE ?

14 hours ago, mikell said:

I agree , otherwise I can't see any reason why this $GUI_EVENT_NONE constant exists (and is mentioned in the helpfile as an Event ID)

and you also said:

this 9999 method is a bit confusing. These examples are intended for 'new coders' so they should be as simple / clear / understandable as possible

I agree, but I would also say that this should be not only:

as simple / clear / understandable as possible

but also as properly writen as it is possible, esepecially when it comes to the last example in the "MessageLoop Mode" section which should show all the tricks.

So I do some checking and finnaly:

Case $GUI_EVENT_NONE ; it will not be necessary as we already check: If Not IsHWnd($aMsg[1]) Then

Simply check current version:
https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Managing_Multiple_GUIs

and btw.

1 hour ago, mikell said:

I don't think that checking $aMsg[1] in a Switch statement consumes a lot more resources than the IsHWnd() condition

Ten years ago I would have been worried about it, now I care more about the correctness of the code.
In what sense? I try to follow the motto:

Translating it into this case, first check if there is anything to process and then take action.

So current version is:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Global $g_hGUI1, $g_idButton1, $g_idButton2, $g_hGUI2, $g_idButton3

example()

Func example()
    gui1()
    Local $aMsg

While 1
        $aMsg = GUIGetMsg(1) ; Use advanced parameter to get array
        If Not IsHWnd($aMsg[1]) Then ContinueLoop ; preventing subsequent lines from processing when nothing happens

Switch $aMsg[1] ; check which GUI sent the message
            Case $g_hGUI1
                Switch $aMsg[0] ; Now check for the messages for $g_hGUI1
                    Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ; If we get the CLOSE message from this GUI: $g_hGUI1 ...
                        ExitLoop ;  ... exit the loop and thus exit the program
                    Case $g_idButton1
                        MsgBox($MB_OK, "MsgBox 1", "Test from GUI 1")
                    Case $g_idButton2
                        GUICtrlSetState($g_idButton2, $GUI_DISABLE)
                        gui2()
                EndSwitch
            Case $g_hGUI2
                Switch $aMsg[0] ; Now check for the messages for $g_hGUI2
                    Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ; If we get the CLOSE message from this GUI : $g_hGUI2 ...
                        GUIDelete($g_hGUI2) ; ... just delete the GUI ...
                        GUICtrlSetState($g_idButton2, $GUI_ENABLE) ; ... enable button (previously disabled)
                    Case $g_idButton3
                        MsgBox($MB_OK, "MsgBox", "Test from GUI 2")
                EndSwitch
        EndSwitch
    WEnd

EndFunc   ;==>example

Func gui1()
    $g_hGUI1 = GUICreate("GUI 1", 200, 200, 100, 100)
    $g_idButton1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Msgbox 1", 10, 10, 80, 30)
    $g_idButton2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Show GUI 2", 10, 60, 80, 30)
    GUISetState()
EndFunc   ;==>gui1

Func gui2()
    $g_hGUI2 = GUICreate("GUI 2", 200, 200, 350, 350)
    GUISetState()
EndFunc   ;==>gui2

So instead this following two lines:

Case $GUI_EVENT_NONE ; it will not be necessary as we already check: If Not IsHWnd($aMsg[1]) Then
                ContinueLoop

additionally they was used twice in the last examples,
currently there is well described single line:

If Not IsHWnd($aMsg[1]) Then ContinueLoop ; preventing subsequent lines from processing when nothing happens

I think this last example in this WiKi section should be the most universal, the most comprehensive, but at the same time as you said simple and understandable, I think that's exactly what it is now.

Do you agree with me on this point?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@mLipok, although I think you could code this particular example with either the If or the Case, I think it would be better done with the Case.

Why?

One reason is readability - I think the term Not IsHWnd() is less clear and less descriptive than $GUI_EVENT_NONE.

But I think the bigger issue is consistency.  Here's the thing - you have two scenarios - single and multiple gui's - in the case of multiple gui's you are getting the array back, and in the single just the event.

But you still need a solution for single gui that doesn't require 9999 pre-init.  And you won't be getting the array, so the most natural choice is to use  $GUI_EVENT_NONE.  

Then, when moving on to multiple guis, since the learner has already been introduced to the $GUI_EVENT_NONE method, he will already have that test in his GUI1 event handler - if he duplicates the code for gui2, the task is accomplished.  

Does that make sense?

Edited by JockoDundee

@mLipok

Please don't care about my comments. I'm a perverted cat with perverted opinions  :)
For example, I never use this wacky "example()" func to put the main gui. I remember the time when this fashion appeared, the purpose was to declare as less global variables as possible, global was evil, $g_var = 666. But where is the consistency when you have to declare all the vars inside this func as global at the top of the script to get it to work ?

22 hours ago, mLipok said:

Do you agree with me on this point?

Of course I agree, this method is good. Although I agree with everybody, because there are several other ways to skin this cat which seem good too
$GUI_EVENT_NONE is also a good way
I saw the use of booleans to check gui existence
I saw "Global $g_hGUI1 = -1" initial declarations, consistent because $aMsg[1] checks handles and can never be = -1, and btw IMHO "-1" is more understandable than a "9999" coming from nowhere
etc
And worst of all is the way I personally use to manage multiple guis :

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

$g_hGUI1 = GUICreate("GUI 1", 200, 200, 100, 100)
$g_idButton1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Msgbox 1", 10, 10, 80, 30)
$g_idButton2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Show GUI 2", 10, 60, 80, 30)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $g_hGUI1)

$g_hGUI2 = GUICreate("GUI 2", 200, 200, 350, 350)
GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $g_hGUI2)

While 1
        $aMsg = GUIGetMsg(1) 
        Switch $aMsg[1] ; check which GUI sent the message
            Case $g_hGUI1
                Switch $aMsg[0] ; Now check for the messages for $g_hGUI1
                    Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ; If we get the CLOSE message from this GUI: $g_hGUI1 ...
                        ExitLoop ;  ... exit the loop and thus exit the program
                    Case $g_idButton1
                        MsgBox($MB_OK, "MsgBox 1", "Test from GUI 1")
                    Case $g_idButton2
                        GUICtrlSetState($g_idButton2, $GUI_DISABLE)
                        GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $g_hGUI2)
                EndSwitch
            Case $g_hGUI2
                Switch $aMsg[0] ; Now check for the messages for $g_hGUI2
                    Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ; If we get the CLOSE message from this GUI : $g_hGUI2 ...
                        GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $g_hGUI2)
                        GUICtrlSetState($g_idButton2, $GUI_ENABLE) ; ... enable button (previously disabled)
                    Case $g_idButton3
                        MsgBox($MB_OK, "MsgBox", "Test from GUI 2")
                EndSwitch
        EndSwitch
WEnd