Au3Stripper directive is removing all bookmarks on compile

AutoJohn

Hi,

Part of my standard template for a new project is including the lines:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Au3Stripper=y ;Run Au3Stripper before compilation (Default=n)
    #Au3Stripper_Parameters=/mo ;     Use the parameters as listed above

I extensively use bookmarks to jump back and forth between sections of code while debugging and I am experiencing an annoyance that I'm hoping someone could steer me towards a "better" solution.

The problem is when I go to compile code, all of my bookmarks get deleted.
I have determined that if I comment out the line    #AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Au3Stripper then the issue no longer happens and my bookmarks remain.

Are there some other properties I could be setting somewhere to keep the line in place yet not destroy my bookmarks on every compile?

Thanks

SciTE Version 3.7.3     Feb 16 2017 21:41:17
AutoIT 3.3.14.5

use current version of Au3Stripper.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• Developers

Show me a small reproducer in case the latest version of au3stripper still has issues, so I can have a look.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I did a little more digging and have narrowed it down a bit further.

First off my Scite was out of date (17.224.935.0 vs 21.316.1639.02) so I updated that as well.

Following mLipok's advice I also looked for what I thought was a possible newer version of AU3stripper from:

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit-script-editor/downloads/
https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/download/Au3Stripper.zip

however this was the same build as I was originally running. the only difference I can see is that the zip file contains one additional .dat file which I also used and it made no difference.

image.png.eec0591223b9f0ed4da14f3513a90b78.png

I then came up with a more accurate "stripped down" version of my template and realized that I made a mistake in my original reporting as to which lines are causing the issue.

Here's a sample to reproduce the issue. simply set a breakpoint/bookmark  anywhere then hit F7 to compile. You will see that the bookmark disappears when the compile is done.

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Fileversion_AutoIncrement=y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Fileversion=0.1.0.13
;#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_ProductVersion=0.0

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=0
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=n

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Au3Stripper=y ;Run Au3Stripper before compilation (Default=n)
#Au3Stripper_Parameters=/mo ;     Use the parameters as listed above
;#Au3Stripper_Off                       ;            Stop the Stripping process below this line
;#Au3Stripper_On                        ;           Start the Stripping process below this line
;#Au3Stripper_Ignore_Funcs=             ;    Do not Strip these functions
;#Au3Stripper_Ignore_Variables=         ;   Do not Strip these variables

#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

Local $x
For $x = 0 To 1
    Local $temp = $x
Next

The two lines I originally reported on are definitely part of the equation:

#Au3Stripper_Parameters=/mo ;     Use the parameters as listed above

however I realized my mistake is that you also need to include the auto increment=y line as well.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Fileversion=0.1.0.13

I can't be sure but I think what is happening is that when you comment out the auto increment line but leave the rest of the template intact - the reason the bookmark does not get deleted is perhaps because the script file is not being modified because the version number gets changed when auto increment is enabled  but not when disabled which is expected behavior. I think perhaps it is the update of the version number (and hence the modification of the script file) which is actually what is deleting the bookmarks although of course I'm not the expert here.

of course I could be completely wrong in my assumption but that's my best guess at this time.

what are your thoughts, and if I am correct is there a solution?

Thank you...

28 minutes ago, AutoJohn said:

You will see that the bookmark disappears when the compile is done.

Confirmed as an strange behavior.

@Jos Please check the following snippet as this is smaller/better repro script :

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Au3Stripper=y

For $i = 1 To 1
Next
; Bookmark this line with CTRL+F2 and then try to compile with F7

; QUESTION: Why Bookmark disappear after compilation ?

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

• Developers

You are right when talking about standard SciTE behavior, but AutoIt3Wrpper should restore them at the end and I know what the issue is now.
Just need some time to fix and test. ;) 

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Please give the current beta version of AutoIt3Wrapper.au3 v21.316.1639.7, which should fix this issue.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

35 minutes ago, Nine said:

Since the script is completely changed with stripper, removing bookmarks seems logical, no ?

Stripped is to a brand new file with suffix ****_stripped.au3 but the orginal file line counts will not change.
This was a bug becuase we are talking about Bookmarks in orginal file.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler