Vaiola

Go to solution Solved by Vaiola,

We need to transfer from windows server 2012 to windows server 2016, we didn't find a way using to transfer the data automatically or to email us after tasks are finished.

Is there a way to copy the data with NTFS/Shared permissions and timestamps without any loss?

I believe the robocopy /COPYALL parameter/flag should accommodate retaining the timestamps and permissions

/COPYALL :: COPY ALL file info (equivalent to /COPY:DATSOU)

/COPY:copyflag[s] :: what to COPY for files (default is /COPY:DAT).
                       (copyflags : D=Data, A=Attributes, T=Timestamps, X=Skip alt data streams).
                       (S=Security=NTFS ACLs, O=Owner info, U=aUditing info).

As far as emailing, you could use the Run function of AutoIt to start the process and therefore see when it has completed, then trigger an email using other means.

edit: this if just for the NTFS permissions, robocopy doesn't account for the share permissions.

Edited by spudw2k

On 11/30/2021 at 2:09 AM, spudw2k said:

I believe the robocopy /COPYALL parameter/flag should accommodate retaining the timestamps and permissions

/COPYALL :: COPY ALL file info (equivalent to /COPY:DATSOU)

/COPY:copyflag[s] :: what to COPY for files (default is /COPY:DAT).
                       (copyflags : D=Data, A=Attributes, T=Timestamps, X=Skip alt data streams).
                       (S=Security=NTFS ACLs, O=Owner info, U=aUditing info).

As far as emailing, you could use the Run function of AutoIt to start the process and therefore see when it has completed, then trigger an email using other means.

edit: this if just for the NTFS permissions, robocopy doesn't account for the share permissions.

You are right  /COPYALL  should do it and as you said it can't copy the share permissions, this is one of my issues.

the idea of emailing sounds good and I think I will apply it.

Now I am still trying to find a way to run the backups automatically and to copy the share permissions, I found some Robocopy alternatives through my searches like SyncThing, Duplicati, Gs Richcopy 360, and Carbonite but I don't have any experience with these, are you?

• Moderators

In-Place upgrade of Server OS - 🤮

Didn't realize anyone still did that

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 4 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, bobomb said:

Depends on how important shares and their share permissions actually are..  it is one way to keep them intact ~

We still do it 😁 every single share permission is important to our work and that's why we ensure it will be transferred if we will do any severs migration, now no worries Gs Richcopy360 works very well with these kind of transfers 🙂

• 4 months later...

I got turned on to Robocopy years ago by a colleague in I.T.

It didn't take me long to realize I hate creating batch files so I did a google search for 'robocopy gui' and voila.

There are these:

Robogui
copyrite xp
rich copy

Some are free but the pay versions are reasonably priced.

Rich Copy is free and does not use Robocopy but it is pretty decent and was developed by a man from Microsoft.

CopyRite XP is fantastic but it's almost $20.00 :( I sprung for it and am happy with it) YMMV.

A quick Google search will yield results so I won't post any URLs here.

I am a gui guy so I love these options.

• 2 weeks later...