Get rid of global variables with multiple gui's

junkew

Reading the wiki and another post I was wondering if the globals are really needed when using the GUI functions

Is there any better approach without the globals? Is there a way like guictrread(gui1.textcontrol1)?
I use the event driven gui's and as such in the related functions I would prefer to only have a reference to the gui and control name in a more controlledmanner.

If I use the KODA designer I would prefer not to have

1. prefix all relevant controls with Global in the Koda region (as then next time I have to do it again)

2. not manually declare them as global in top of my script

3. use naming convention like prefixing with the guiname

Func gui1()
    $hGUI1 = GUICreate("Gui 1", 200, 200, 100, 100)
    GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "On_Close", $hGUI1) ; Call a common GUI close function
    $hGUI1_Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Msgbox 1", 10, 10, 80, 30)
    GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "On_Button") ; Call a common button function
    $hGUI1_Button2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Show Gui 2", 10, 60, 80, 30)
    GUISetState()
EndFunc   ;==>gui1

References I was reading

I don't think it's possible to eliminate the globals fully, currently. In the past I have made them local in the function that creates the gui and passed them as parameters to functions. If a control is not being actioned, changed or updated I don't assign it a variable. An example would be a label who's text doesn't change or, as in your example, a button that has an onevent action and is only being clicked. I have seen code where every control is assigned a variable so it does reduce the number of globals.

I normally have an array for the controls and enum the variables, the control id's are then set and retrieved via  get\set functions from a gui udf I have made. It's not ideal but its cleaner and I can see all the controls in one array. I can then loop through controls to enable\disable or set values. If I need to add or remove controls, it doesn't affect the controls as the enum value changes.

One way to not have to declare the globals at the top of the script would be to create Local Static variables and a Local static array to hold the values in the function that creates the gui. You'd still need get\set functions and they'd still keep memory like a global.

As for multiple guis, I have used them in the past and made a function to switch between the guis with the constants declared at the start of the udf. Its only useful if you want to work with one gui at a time, could be improved but it's worked for me so far..

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _GA_SwitchGUI
; Description ...: Switches the current active window to be associated with running GUI functions.
; Syntax ........: _GA_SwitchGUI($h_NewGui[, $h_OldGui [, $i_EventMode = $GA_ONEVENTMODENO[, $i_DisableOldGui = $GA_DISABLEOLDGUINO[, $i_DeleteOldGui = $GA_DELETEOLDGUINO]]]])
; Parameters ....: $h_NewGui        - The handle of the gui that is to be the current window
;                  $h_OldGui        - The handle of the gui that is to relinquish control
;                  $i_EventMode     - Sets the Opt("GUIOnEventMode") for notifications (enable\disable) Default is disabled ($GA_ONEVENTMODENO)
;                  $i_DisableOldGui - Changes the state of the $h_OldGui window (enable\disable) Default is enabled ($GA_DISABLEOLDGUINO)
;                  $i_DeleteOldGui  - Deletes the $h_OldGui window and all controls that it contains (yes\no) Default is no ($GA_DELETEOLDGUINO)
; Return values .: None
; Author ........: Benners
; Modified ......:
; Remarks .......:
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _GA_SwitchGUI($h_NewGui, $h_OldGui, $i_EventMode = Default, $i_DisableOldGui = Default, $i_DeleteOldGui = Default)
    If $i_EventMode = Default Then $i_EventMode = $GA_ONEVENTMODENO
    If $i_DisableOldGui = Default Then $i_DisableOldGui = $GA_DISABLEOLDGUINO
    If $i_DeleteOldGui = Default Then $i_DeleteOldGui = $GA_DELETEOLDGUINO

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", $i_EventMode) ;_                          Set on event mode (disabled or enabled)
    GUISwitch($h_NewGui) ;_                                         Switch control to the new GUI.
    GUISetState(@SW_ENABLE, $h_NewGui) ;_                           enable the new gui
    GUISetState(@SW_RESTORE, $h_NewGui) ;_                          restore the gui
    If $i_DisableOldGui Then GUISetState(@SW_DISABLE, $h_OldGui) ;_ Disable the old GUI.
    If $i_DeleteOldGui Then GUIDelete($i_DeleteOldGui) ;_           destroy the old gui
EndFunc   ;==>_GA_SwitchGUI

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

$g_hGUI1 = GUICreate("GUI 1", 200, 200, 100, 100)
    GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "On_Close") ; Call a common GUI close function
    $g_idButton1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Msgbox 1", 10, 10, 80, 30)

GUISetState()

While 1
        Sleep(10)
    WEnd

Func On_Button()
    Switch @GUI_CtrlId ; See which button sent the message
        Case $g_idButton1
            MessageBox(1) ; We can call a function with parameters here <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        Case $g_idButton2
            GUICtrlSetState($g_idButton2, $GUI_DISABLE)
            gui2()
        Case $g_idButton3
            MessageBox(2) ; We can call a function with parameters here <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    EndSwitch
EndFunc   ;==>On_Button
Func gui2()
    $g_hGUI2 = GUICreate("GUI 2", 200, 200, 350, 350)
    $g_idButton3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("MsgBox 2", 10, 10, 80, 30)
    GUISetState()
EndFunc   ;==>gui2

Func On_Close()
    Switch @GUI_WinHandle ; See which GUI sent the CLOSE message
        Case $g_hGUI1
            Exit ; If it was this GUI - we exit <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        Case $g_hGUI2
            GUIDelete($g_hGUI2) ; If it was this GUI - we just delete the GUI <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            GUICtrlSetState($g_idButton2, $GUI_ENABLE)
    EndSwitch
EndFunc   ;==>On_Close

Func MessageBox($iIndex)
    MsgBox($MB_OK, "MsgBox " & $iIndex, "Test from Gui " & $iIndex)
EndFunc   ;==>MessageBox

or you can use instant numbers;(if you know id of button of gui)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

_gui()
Func _gui()
    $g_hGUI1 = GUICreate("GUI 1", 200, 200, 100, 100)
    $g_idButton1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Msgbox 1", 10, 10, 80, 30)

GUISetState()

While 1
        Sleep(10)
    WEnd
EndFunc
Func On_Button()
    Switch @GUI_CtrlId ; See which button sent the message
    Case 3;;instant number
    EndSwitch
EndFunc   ;==>On_Button
Func gui2()
    $g_hGUI2 = GUICreate("GUI 2", 200, 200, 350, 350)
    $g_idButton3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("MsgBox 2", 10, 10, 80, 30)
    GUISetState()
EndFunc   ;==>gui2

Func On_Close()
    Switch @GUI_WinHandle ; See which GUI sent the CLOSE message
    Case WinGetHandle(WinGetHandle("[active]"))
            Exit ; If it was this GUI - we exit <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        Case  WinGetHandle($g_hGUI2)
            GUIDelete($g_hGUI2) ; If it was this GUI - we just delete the GUI <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            GUICtrlSetState($g_idButton2, $GUI_ENABLE)
    EndSwitch
EndFunc   ;==>On_Close

Func MessageBox($iIndex)
    MsgBox($MB_OK, "MsgBox " & $iIndex, "Test from Gui " & $iIndex)
EndFunc   ;==>MessageBox

or this soultion:

Func GetText();;
        DllStructSetData($g_tStruct, "x", MouseGetPos(0))
        DllStructSetData($g_tStruct, "y", MouseGetPos(1))
        $hWnd = _WinAPI_WindowFromPoint($g_tStruct) ; 
        Return ControlGetText($hWnd,"",$hWnd);
        Sleep(10)
    EndFunc

or this:

Func On_Button()
       for $i = 0 To 9 Step 1
if @GUI_CtrlId = $i Then
         EndIf
            Next
EndFunc   ;==>On_Button

Edited by ad777

iam ِAutoit programmer.

best thing in life is to use your Brain to

Achieve

everything you want.

These will probably help a lot already.

@GUI_CtrlHandle Last click GUI Control handle. Only valid in an event Function. See the GUICtrlSetOnEvent() function.
@GUI_CtrlId Last click GUI Control identifier. Only valid in an event Function. See the GUICtrlSetOnEvent() function.
@GUI_DragFile Filename of the file being dropped. Only valid on Drop Event. See the GUISetOnEvent() function.
@GUI_DragId Drag GUI Control identifier. Only valid on Drop Event. See the GUISetOnEvent() function.
@GUI_DropId Drop GUI Control identifier. Only valid on Drop Event. See the GUISetOnEvent() function.
@GUI_WinHandle Last click GUI window handle. Only valid in an event Function. See the GUICtrlSetOnEvent() function.