Why is _ArraySort so broken? Updated 1/9/22 630pm g2g

• Moderators

markyrocks,

if the devs want it they probably going to have to pay me for it

Then I suggest you stop work immediately because that is never going to happen - and any attempt to make such a demand would be looked upon as a very unfriendly act.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

4 hours ago, Melba23 said:

markyrocks,

Then I suggest you stop work immediately because that is never going to happen - and any attempt to make such a demand would be looked upon as a very unfriendly act.

M23

I'm not going to stop doing anything.  I'm not saying I won't allow it to be used but I won't hand over the source code for free.  Maybe in your world exchanging of products for currency is unfriendly.. maybe you get upset when the burger guy asks you to pay for the meal you just ordered but most people just call that business as usual.  lol unfriendly bc I've always been met with such encouraging words and well wishes when i come here.  the first page and a half of this thread was people trying to discredit me and challenge every aspect of anything I said.... please.  I make a comment about future improvements thread which was more like a wishing well than anything based on reality and I was attacked...Your comments in general are looked upon by me as an unfriendly act.  you can't even say nice job,     

@markyrocks In advance :
I don't want to make any judgement about the quality or usefulness of your work so far. It may be beneficial, perhaps even revolutionary, but perhaps maybe not.

6 hours ago, markyrocks said:

I'm not saying I won't allow it to be used, but I won't hand over the source code for free.

It is exactly this attitude that, in my opinion, is in conflict with one of the fundamental principles of this forum.

There are many other projects (UDF's), developed by members(f,m,d) of the community, made available to users for free. Some of them have even managed to find its way into the official distribution of AutoIt over the time.

Without this work of volunteers, which often takes years, AutoIt would not be what it is today (even if there is of course still room for improvement ;)).

And last but not least, you yourself benefit massively from this "free" work done by other people.

6 hours ago, Nine said:

I personally don't like this kind of thread.  I am not sure how it can help this community.  I would suggest that it should be locked. 

I fully agree with this !

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Lol anyways.  If you don't like the thread don't click on it. 

My code is in the very early stages and is the baremetal performance that you all should be looking for.  Idk how that couldn't be beneficial.  Its really sad bc my latest tests almost halved my previous times just on my function execution.  I'm actually gearing up to make a redim function of my own bc due to attempting to identify the array I have to add an element at the end.  This one redim takes like 3x as long as the sort itself.  I realize reallocations are expensive but dear lord.  The last time though I essentially eliminated any need to copy anything from the heap and save it.  So basically all heap allocations have been removed bc I can simply swap the pointers around to do the sort and it all works.  (Sort them in place). 

on my machine a 200k size int array took 1400ms from start to end the 2x redims took ~550 ms each.  My dll function execution took 170-190 ms

ITs not a question or not if its game changing or not...It absolutely is.  All these encouraging words Its hyping me up to keep going.  I was just working on the barebones for the string sort.  The current version doesn't have all features quite working yet but it sorts all number types, conveniently it ignores strings. It basically treats the strings like a blank and just pushes them to the front(or back).  I've put in ways to push blank elements to one side of the array or the other,  ummm it can sort ascending or descending and I've implemented start and end (iterator functionality).  But ya its actually going really well It.  The source code is the precompiled files.  I'm not sure what you want that's my intellectual property.  You want me to hand over the keys to my truck too while im at it?  Not like autoit has their source available for free, not the current version anyway.  Its ok for them but when I do it how dare I.  lol that seems reasonable. 

I'd also like to add that the current version looks nothing like the previous versions that i've shown.  

Edited by markyrocks

@Nine Although I agree that "The tone of voice in this thread" can be different but I remember days with Valik where it was even worse.

I see an enthusiast diving into an area of optimiziation of arrray sorting of numbers which is a small subarea of AutoIt and it will grow to a UDF or not. 

If not shared (or stays at 0.1 version) we move on to the next thread.

• Developers
13 minutes ago, junkew said:

Valik where it was even worse.

...and we all know what that led to.....   and indeed ignore BS in general is the best stategy

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

1 hour ago, Jos said:

indeed ignore BS in general is the best stategy

BS ?

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

BS = post-digestive faecal excretions of adult males of the bos taurus species.

Edited by RTFC

The backhanded compliments that this OP is handing out is ridiculous and borderline taunting is childish as well. As a long time user of autoit, I'd tell you to blow it out your porthole, but you are already doing that when you speak to the people who actually did the implementations of features. You're not helping by trying to inflate your own sense of accomplishment(s).

• Developers

Guys, lets not get into a pissing contest as that leads nowhere and simply ignore the thread when you don't like what you read...  there really is nothing to win here...

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

25 minutes ago, Jos said:

Guys, lets not get into a pissing contest as that leads nowhere and simply ignore the thread when you don't like what you read...  there really is nothing to win here...

“So it is Written, So it Shall be Done:” :lol:

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

my point exactly.  Everyone so quick to pile on... This is just like every other post i'm heavily involved it.  People come in talk smack and somehow i'm always the bad guy.  In case you havent' noticed i'm fine with that.  I might aswell play the part.  I wish people would ignore me bc trust me I don't want to deal with this nonsense that some of you all bring to my door.  By all means please hit the bricks.  I'm not seeking you out or seeking confrontation but i'm not going to shy away either.  The biggest problem I see is that I'm not going to sugar coat the truth to make anyone else feel better.  Sitting around and pretending autoit is even remotely relevant is just a fallacy.  python is just as simple to learn has 10x the capabilities,  superfast, is actually oop and amazingly things usually just work the way theyre supposed to.    O not to mention that it was just voted programming language of the year?  I'm wondering where autoit fell on the list...

as a side note I was just able to pull out the strings.... what a pita.  

https://analyticsindiamag.com/python-is-again-the-top-programming-language-of-the-year/

Edited by markyrocks

So, move to python  🤣 That way you'll avoid the big AutoIt problems 🤔

Saludos

Edited by Danyfirex

• Developers
2 hours ago, markyrocks said:

Sitting around and pretending autoit is even remotely relevant is just a fallacy.

Topic closed due to irrelevance of AutoIt claimed by the OP.

I have grown tired of these word-walls with these BS stories. Either post relevant contributions or simply go somewhere else.

Edited by Jos
typo

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Jos locked this topic