2022 updates for Autoit

• Developers

The included SciTE4AutoIt3 editor in the AutoIt3 installer was an attempt at  the time to give a nice basic editor for scripting for any new scripter, without having to install anything else.

I mainly maintain our SciTE version and the separate  SciTE4Autoit3 installer and am considering the options to stop the separate installer in favor of an editor like VSC, as that to me is much nicer than SciTE without it being very difficult to setup.  Any option is open to me. :)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

As long as there is someone to maintain it any rubberduck IDE is fine 😉 rubberduckvba.com

• https://github.com/loganch/AutoIt-VSCode wrote:  
    NOTE: Run, Compile and Build Script functions require the full install of SciTE4AutoIt3 alongside AutoIt.
  • And if size doesn't matter 😉 
    Visual Studio Code is a small download (< 200 MB) and has a disk footprint of < 500 MB. VS Code is lightweight and should easily run on today's hardware.
  • I can see benefits in something different then Scite but also see some bears in switching
  • Maybe
    • a small install with an editor using PowerShell ISE Scripting Object Model
    • a huge install with VS code

10 hours ago, junkew said:

I can see benefits in something different then Scite but also see some bears in switching

I went the extra mile last year; it was a challenge in the beginning, but - for me - absolutely worth it.

Once a script is saved, AU3Check is run automatically and shown in the problems tab.

image.thumb.png.efd181d305ebcc6abef8f9c47bea7675.png

Edited by HurleyShanabarger

it looks nice. That said: the paths are hard coded full path and what I do is run any version of AutoIt in portable SciTE(s). Just decompress anywhere and run the environment.
So if running say, production and beta with relative paths then VSCode could be something interesting to look at for me.

Also, the checker and tidy are from the SciTE distribution, so is not a replacement for SciTE distribution. On the other hand, maintaining utilities, is less than utilities and the editor too.

My 2 cents. I don't wanna start a tug war.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• Developers

Understand that the other Utilities are still "sort of required", as they need to be included in whatever Editor one uses for convenience, as they are included/required for the VSC plugin and also "ISN AutoIt Studio" heavily depends on both my version of SciLexer.dll with the AutoIt3 Lexer and  my other written stuff included (although not really mentioned anywhere I think ;) ). 

Au3Check is a standard supplied utility in the AutoIt3 installer, so that should be fine.

Agree that VSC is not really for portable setups,

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)