Problems with autoIt3.exe when launching language learning CD

Clive57

Hi, this is my first post here and I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with a small problem I have relating to autoIt3.exe

I am running Windows 10 (latest updated version) and am using a very old (I think created 2001) language learning program (Dutch IJsbreker program). The program runs from a CD and is launched either from a small program installed on the computer or "autorun.exe" on the actual CD. When I try to launch the program (either from computer or the CD) it hangs on the splash screen and I get the message it is waiting for autoIt3.exe to finish being used by another program. I have figured out a workaround to this by ending the autoIt3.exe task in Task Manager then relaunching the program but is there a way to fix this?  Sorry that this not a particularly technical description of the problem 🤔

• Developers

For starters: How does that AutoIt3.exe program get started and what is the *.au3 scriptfile being ran by it?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

1 hour ago, Jos said:

For starters: How does that AutoIt3.exe program get started and what is the *.au3 scriptfile being ran by it?

I don't know how it gets started, its certainly not on the start-up program list and I don't know what scriptfile is being run, how do I find that out?

• Developers

Well, maybe start checking where AutoIt3.exe is located when that is the name of the binary file running at that moment. It could be that the startup program for the CD is and AutoIt3Script itself.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Run this script, you will know much more of what the AutoIt3.exe is running and from where.  If you still need help, please report back here :

#RequireAdmin

#include <Array.au3>
#include <WinAPIHObj.au3>
#include <WinAPIProc.au3>

Local $aAdjust, $aList = 0

; Enable "SeDebugPrivilege" privilege for obtain full access rights to another processes
Local $hToken = _WinAPI_OpenProcessToken(BitOR($TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES, $TOKEN_QUERY))

_WinAPI_AdjustTokenPrivileges($hToken, $SE_DEBUG_NAME, $SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED, $aAdjust)

; Retrieve command-line arguments for all processes the system
If Not (@error Or @extended) Then
    $aList = ProcessList("AutoIt3.exe")
    For $i = 1 To $aList[0][0]
        $aList[$i][1] = _WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine($aList[$i][1])
    Next
EndIf

; Enable SeDebugPrivilege privilege by default
_WinAPI_AdjustTokenPrivileges($hToken, $aAdjust, 0, $aAdjust)
_WinAPI_CloseHandle($hToken)

_ArrayDisplay($aList, '_WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine')

5 hours ago, Nine said:

Run this script, you will know much more of what the AutoIt3.exe is running and from where.  If you still need help, please report back here :

#RequireAdmin

#include <Array.au3>
#include <WinAPIHObj.au3>
#include <WinAPIProc.au3>

Local $aAdjust, $aList = 0

; Enable "SeDebugPrivilege" privilege for obtain full access rights to another processes
Local $hToken = _WinAPI_OpenProcessToken(BitOR($TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES, $TOKEN_QUERY))

_WinAPI_AdjustTokenPrivileges($hToken, $SE_DEBUG_NAME, $SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED, $aAdjust)

; Retrieve command-line arguments for all processes the system
If Not (@error Or @extended) Then
    $aList = ProcessList("AutoIt3.exe")
    For $i = 1 To $aList[0][0]
        $aList[$i][1] = _WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine($aList[$i][1])
    Next
EndIf

; Enable SeDebugPrivilege privilege by default
_WinAPI_AdjustTokenPrivileges($hToken, $aAdjust, 0, $aAdjust)
_WinAPI_CloseHandle($hToken)

_ArrayDisplay($aList, '_WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine')

Sorry you have totally lost me with that, I don't know how to create or run a script 🤔

Do you know, at least, if AutoIt is installed on the computer ?  Check if you see it in Control Panel/Programs.

When you say Relauching, I suppose there is a Desktop Icon you double-click to restart it, what are the properties of the icon ?

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Do you know, at least, if AutoIt is installed on the computer ?  Check if you see it in Control Panel/Programs.

When you say Relauching, I suppose there is a Desktop Icon you double-click to restart it, what are the properties of the icon ?

Yes, Autolt is certainly installed on the computer. I see it running in Task Manger, which is where I have to "end task" as a work around, then I launch the language learning program which I assume relaunches AutoIt and then it works ok. 

It is not because you see AutoIt3.exe in task manager that AutoIt is installed.  You can run the AutoIt3.exe as a standalone program without installing the full AutoIt package.  So do what I told you, go into control panel/programs and look if AutoIt is installed.

Do a print screen of the Task Manager, where you "end task", there should be a path that can help us locate the exe.

And HOW do you relaunch the program ?  Please answer ALL my questions if you want to receive help.

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

It is not because you see AutoIt3.exe in task manager that AutoIt is installed.  You can run the AutoIt3.exe as a standalone program without installing the full AutoIt package.  So do what I told you, go into control panel/programs and look if AutoIt is installed.

Do a print screen of the Task Manager, where you "end task", there should be a path that can help us locate the exe.

And HOW do you relaunch the program ?  Please answer ALL my questions if you want to receive help.

AutoIt is installed and shows in control panel/programs.

AutoIt is installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Launching the language program automatically launches AutoIt but only if its not already running, hence having to go to Task Manager and quit it first, otherwise the language program will not launch.

4 minutes ago, Clive57 said:

AutoIt is installed and shows in control panel/programs.

Launching the language program automatically launches AutoIt but only if its not already running, hence having to go to Task Manager and quit it first, otherwise the language program will not launch.

Seems like a software compatibility problem to me ... you don't say if the other instance of AutoIT is started from your computer or from the program itself.

3 minutes ago, AlessandroAvolio said:

Seems like a software compatibility problem to me ... you don't say if the other instance of AutoIT is started from your computer or from the program itself.

That's what I don't know but it seems to be already be running before I launch the language program but I don't know why or whats launching it, its not program that's set to start when windows starts, I have checked that.

• Developers
1 minute ago, AlessandroAvolio said:

Could you please stop posting these generic comments which aren't really helping other than confuse?  

8 minutes ago, Clive57 said:

You should be able to see the full commandline in the TaskManager which should also contain the filename of the running scriptfile. 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

1 minute ago, Jos said:

Could you please stop posting these generic comments which aren't really helping other than confuse?  

You should be able to see the full commandline in the TaskManager which should also contain the filename of the running scriptfile. 

I would like to be free to express myself if I can. I don't think I'm writing useless stuff.

3 minutes ago, Clive57 said:

That's what I don't know but it seems to be already be running before I launch the language program but I don't know why or whats launching it, its not program that's set to start when windows starts, I have checked that.

I wonder if the message that prevents you from starting the program appears even just after restarting the computer, I would try to understand if the process is started from the operating system or from a first run of the program.