Working with Windows forms - sometimes it gets the controlID text from a control ID and sometimes it's empty?!

So in my testing pack for testing an application I have the below function which I use. 

It takes a window handle, controlID, Text that should appear in the Control ID and the field being tested. 

So implemented it looks like..

CheckFieldEquals($M2Window, "WindowsForms10.STATIC.app.0.3ce0bb8_r21_ad183", "Correspondence Address :", "Program > Case Create > Test screen 3 > Test field containing:Correspondence Address : -   ControlID: WindowsForms10.STATIC.app.0.3ce0bb8_r21_ad183")

And the function looks like..

Func CheckFieldEquals($WindowHandle, $ControlID, $InputDescription, $FieldBeingTested)
      Local $FieldControlIDText= ControlGetText($WindowHandle, "",$ControlID )
   Sleep(4000)
   if $FieldControlIDText == $InputDescription then
      MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Test Result for field    " & $FieldBeingTested, "Test Passed:" & $FieldControlIDText & " " & $FieldBeingTested & "  matches the following value received "& $FieldControlIDText, 1)
      FileWrite($TestLog, @CRLF & " Test Passed: " & $FieldControlIDText & " " &  $FieldBeingTested & "      matches the value expected " & $FieldControlIDText)
      FileWrite($TestResults, @CRLF &  " Test Passed: " & $FieldControlIDText & " " &  $FieldBeingTested & "     matches the value expected ")
      ConsoleWrite(@CRLF &  " Test Passed: " & $FieldControlIDText & " " &  $FieldBeingTested & "    matches the value expected ")

Else
      MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Test Result  ", "Test Failed:" & $FieldControlIDText & " " &  $FieldBeingTested & " doesn't match following value received "& $FieldControlIDText & "", 1)
      FileWrite($TestLog, @CRLF & " Test Failed:"& $FieldControlIDText & " " & $FieldBeingTested & "     doesn't match the following value retrieved " & $FieldControlIDText)
      FileWrite($TestResults, @CRLF & " Test Failed:"& $FieldControlIDText & " " & $FieldBeingTested & "     doesn't match the following value retrieved ")
      ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & " Test Failed:"& $FieldControlIDText & " " & $FieldBeingTested & "    doesn't match the following value retrieved " & $FieldControlIDText)
        WriteToConsoleAndLog("ControlGetText variable equals: " & $FieldControlIDText) 
       Sleep(4000)
    EndIf

EndFunc

However in my console log I check it doesn't populate the variable, which means the variable is empty? 

Test Failed: Program > Case Create > Test screen 3 > Test field containing:Correspondence Address : -   ControlID: WindowsForms10.STATIC.app.0.3ce0bb8_r21_ad183     doesn't match the following value retrieved 
ControlGetText variable equals: 
Exit code: 0

However when I use the screen autoit tool the controlID is still correct (attaching a screenshot of the window info screen) 

So how is my function not picking up the text via the ControlGetText function? 

image.png.301401f325141cfccf2ba6104c4d78fd.png

Also to clarify I ran the test again and the test passed 

Test Passed: Correspondence Address : Visual files > Case Create > Test screen 3 > Test field containing:Correspondence Address : -   ControlID: WindowsForms10.STATIC.app.0.3ce0bb8_r21_ad183   matches the value expected

So trying to figure out why it fails a bunch of times and sometimes passes?

Also any tips on improving my function is appreciated!

By value of the forms control do you mean the variable of ControlGetText

$FieldControlIDText= ControlGetText($WindowHandle, "",$ControlID )

That is logged toward end of the function on this line (my custom function just does a console write line and also writes to a text file 

WriteToConsoleAndLog("ControlGetText variable equals: " & $FieldControlIDText)

The value of the $FieldControlIDText when it fails is empty in the console and log. (Unless you meant something different that I should also be logging)

are you waiting for the control to actually exist? it may fail if the form is not fully loaded and functional

i use a while loop and monitor for the existence of said control

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions