Extracting variable subfolder name from path

Go to solution Solved by Subz,

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I have searched the menu.

I am using the Chrome UDF without issues, but have noticed that sometimes Chrome randomly starts the Software Reporter Tool which is a resource-hog.  I address this currently by removing permissions from the .exe file but when Chrome updates itself these are restored.  One option is to delete the .exe altogether which I thought I could achieve using FileExists and FileDelete, but the problem is the path where the tool is located has a variable element.

For this computer the path is C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\102.286.200\software_reporter_tool.exe

The '102.286.200' changes from time to time, so what I'd like to be able to do is obtain that part of the path using a script so I can assemble the delete commands properly.

Any help much appreciated

StringInStr with StringMid can perform this. SRER can do it quite easily.  

#include <Constants.au3>

Local $sURL = "C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\SwReporter\102.286.200\software_reporter_tool.exe"
Local $sSub = StringRegExpReplace($sURL, ".*\\SwReporter\\(.*)\\.*", "$1")
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Test", $sSub)

Edited by Nine

• Solution

Alternatively you could use _FileListToArrayRec to find all instances of software_reporter_tool.exe and delete, for example:

#include <File.au3>
Global $g_aSWReporter = _FileListToArrayRec(@LocalAppDataDir & "\Google\Chrome\User Data", "software_reporter_tool.exe", 1, 1, 0, 2)
If @error Then Exit
For $i = 1 To $g_aSWReporter[0]
;~ Uncomment below to delete instance
;~  FileDelete($g_aSWReporter[$i])
    ConsoleWrite($g_aSWReporter[$i] & @CRLF)
Next

in addition to the solutions provided already I'd like to mention to create a SYSTEM task, that will cleanup all occurences in all local user profiles, running e.g. at 08:00 AM every day:

#RequireAdmin

$SchTasks="schtasks.exe"
$Daily="täglich" ; modify to your localization's string for "daily" --> schtasks /create /?
$Highest="höchste" ; modify to your localization's string for "higest"
$Time24="08:00"

$Params = '/create /ru "SYSTEM" /tn "Delete Chrome Software Reporter from all user profiles"  /tr "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -command &{gci c:\users\software_reporter_tool.exe -r -file -force -ea si | remove-item -force}" /sc ' & $Daily & ' /st ' & $Time24 & ' /HRESULT /RL ' & $Highest & ' /f'

$result=ShellExecuteWait($SchTasks,$Params)
MsgBox(0,"Result",$result)

with the additional parameter " /s OtherPChostName" you can push this as a scheduled task to remote PCs as well (admin rights required on the remote system, of course)

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!