Seeking license clarification

So there is some code shared with license set to for example MIT. Now, when sharing a compiled script, is that supposed to have this one attached; https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/license.htm ? I see the definition of SOFTWARE PRODUCT there, of which I've made an opinion on in the favour of "not needed". Just wanted to be absolutely sure.

Licensing issues are a complex topic that cannot be answered in a few sentences. Since you are posting in an AutoIt forum, you probably want to know, if you are allowed to redistribute compiled AutoIt scripts without sharing your source code, correct?

Commercial Use : You may use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for commercial purposes. You may sell for profit and freely distribute scripts and/or compiled scripts that were created with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

As long as you only use the components that come with AutoIt by default, you are not obligated to provide your source code. 

However, this does not necessarily apply to scripts and UDF's provided by members. It is possible that an author does not allow e.g. the commercial use of his code. Normally, the author explicitly points out such restrictions (if in doubt, simply ask :)).  

P.S. As I am not a lawyer, the written only represents my private opinion and must not be taken as a legally binding statement.

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

No, the question has nothing to do about the script source code. It is open and with a wide open license, for example MIT. The question is about the distribution of compiled scripts (the exe), and whether my interpretation of the referenced license for SOFTWARE PRODUCT is correct in that such distribution will NOT require that license attached.

22 minutes ago, joakim said:

... that such distribution - compiled scripts (the exe) - will NOT require that license attached.

The way I understand the license agreement, a compiled .exe file can be redistributed standalone. The license text does not have to be attached.

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

2 hours ago, Musashi said:

The way I understand the license agreement, a compiled .exe file can be redistributed standalone. The license text does not have to be attached.

Wouldn't that depend on the type of license?

4 hours ago, genius257 said:

Wouldn't that depend on the type of license?

Generally Yes.

There are dozens of different license types (MIT, GPL x, etc.), with different obligations. However, @joakim refers to the distribution of compiled AutoIt scripts (.exe, .a3x). In this particular case, there is no need to attach a separate copy of AutoIt's license terms.

@Jos : I hope I have interpreted this correctly.

Musashi-C64.png