_Word_DocFindReplace Help example adds replaced text as all CAPs

Go to solution Solved by pseakins,

Example1 for _Word_DocFindReplace from the AutoIt help works as promised.

However, when I change the search string from "test document" to "udf" the replaced text is all uppercase.

ie; from this _Word_DocFindReplace($oDoc, "test document", "test document with replaced text")
         to this _Word_DocFindReplace($oDoc, "udf", "test document with replaced text")

I can't see any reason why this would happen, as far I know the text "UDF" at the end of the first line in the source document "\Extras\Test.doc" is just normal text that happens to be upper case. There's no reason (that I can see) that the replacement text should become all upper case. Am I missing something?

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Word.au3>

; Create application object
Local $oWord = _Word_Create()
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocFindReplace Example", _
        "Error creating a new Word application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
; Open test document read-only
Local $oDoc = _Word_DocOpen($oWord, @ScriptDir & "\Extras\Test.doc", Default, Default, True)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocFindReplace Example", _
        "Error opening '.\Extras\Test.doc'." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

; Change "test document" to "test document with replaced text".
_Word_DocFindReplace($oDoc, "test document", "test document with replaced text")
        "Error replacing text in the document." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocFindReplace Example", "Text successfully replaced.")

Phil Seakins

• Solution

From the AutoIt helpfile; $bMatchCase [optional] If True the find is case sensitive (default = False)

$bMatchCase is used to mofify the search parameters and should have nothing to do with the "format" of the replaced characters.

As far as I know, upper and lower case in Word is not a "format'. While you can modify the case of a word using Shift-F3 there is no actual property (like bold or underline) that specifies that the entire word is one case or another. If you make a word bold, for example, and then manually edit the word by typing extra characters, those new characters become bold because that is the format that is in use at the time.. The same does not apply if the word were all uppercase and then you insert extra characters. The new characters would go in with whatever case has been selected by the keyboard.

Having said all that it turns out that Microsoft Word does in fact use the search match case flag to perform some quite unintuitive magic.

After a bit of googling I found this Microsoft answer; Replace requires "Match case" to be selected if one wants to Replace preserving the case of the replacement text. (I edited the subject so it made more sense.)

As one of the respondents said "This is an anomaly you will have to live with. "

My test case code will behave as required by changing it to;

_Word_DocFindReplace($oDoc, "UDF", "text replaced here", 1, Default, 1)

Phil Seakins

Added a link to this thread to the AutoIt wiki.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki