SciTE Script Editor has changes in behavior

Schwoby

i have used AutoIT for quite some time now, over 5 years now. recently, i got a new computer and installed it onto that. with that installation, AutoIT now opens up a new SciTE Script Editor window instead of a new tab within the existing SciTE Script Editor window each time i open a file from my folder(s). on top of that, it resets and/or ignores/alters the view settings each time the SciTE Script Editor. precisely, i always want to see the line numbers and status bar, but when i select them, the next time SciTE Script Editor is opened, they are reset back to being off. another thing thats really annoying is that the output is now showing on the right of the screen instead of the bottom. can anyone help with getting these settings to actually stay? i understand that my first issue could be a windows thing and not an AutoIT thing, but it's the only program that i've experienced this with, so thats why i'm including it.

thank you, @Danp2, for the link to the prior topic. this solved the issue of multiple windows opening instead of just adding a new tab to the existing window.

for that part: In the SciTE main menu:

1. Click on "Options - > Open User Options File"
  2. In the newly opened SciTEUser.properties file, add (or modify) the following line BELOW the "DO NOT CHANGE" section:
    • check.if.already.open=1
  3.  Save your change.

however, i cannot seem to find any settings in that list (there are a lot, so i might have missed it) on how to retain custom view settings.

i was able to find a video from 2016 that answered the majority of my continued issues, along with some additional things i though were useful. i then found a stack overflow page that answered the rest of my issues. the following are my findings.

# open new tab instead of new window
check.if.already.open=1
# default linewrap
wrap=0
# default statusbar visibility
statusbar.visible=1
# clears output window before executing
clear.before.execute=1
# default output window location. 0=bottom, 1=side
output.initial.hide=0
# at open, load previously open files from close
save.session=1
# set defualt zoom level
magnification=1
# set default directory to last opened script
open.dialog.in.file.directory=1
# show line numbers
line.margin.visible=1

1 hour ago, Schwoby said:

i was able to find a video from 2016

could you be so nice and post a link ?

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• 5 weeks later...
  • Developers

Look similar but it's my version! :)

By the way...   all available options are in the SciTE4AutoIT3 helpfile with their purpose.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 5 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 9:13 PM, Schwoby said:

i was able to find a video from 2016 that answered the majority of my continued issues, along with some additional things i though were useful. i then found a stack overflow page that answered the rest of my issues. the following are my findings.

# open new tab instead of new window
check.if.already.open=1
# default linewrap
wrap=0
# default statusbar visibility
statusbar.visible=1
# clears output window before executing
clear.before.execute=1
# default output window location. 0=bottom, 1=side
output.initial.hide=0
# at open, load previously open files from close
save.session=1
# set defualt zoom level
magnification=1
# set default directory to last opened script
open.dialog.in.file.directory=1
# show line numbers
line.margin.visible=1

I just edited my user options file because I find the output window on the side super annoying and useless especially when working on my tablet pc.

I set the output.initial.hide to 0, saved the file, restarted SciTe but it's still on the side. I also changed the output.horizontal.size to check if the changes take effect and yes after a restart of SciTe the output window is now smaller. But I want it on the bottom. Any suggestions? :(

EDIT: found the solution! The correct option is "split.vertical" if you set it to 0 the output pane is back on the bottom. The output.initial.hide probably defines, if the output pane should show up when u open up scite. But somehow changing its value has absolutely no effect. 

Edited by uvlights

• Developers
1 hour ago, uvlights said:

EDIT: found the solution! The correct option is "split.vertical" if you set it to 0 the output pane is back on the bottom.

This is standard behaviour when using the lite or full version of SciTE we distribute....as far as i know.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

17 minutes ago, Jos said:

This is standard behaviour when using the lite or full version of SciTE we distribute....as far as i know.

I recently downloaded the latest autoit built including scite on my tablet pc and the output pane was on the side. 1920x1280 screen if this matters. But glad I got it back at the bottom now :)

• Developers

Maybe you made a change in sciteuser.properties, which contains your personal settings and override the defaults?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Ah.... you are right...  that is indeed the default as it comes with the original source and I only changed it in the full version for now.
I have changed it already last year in our repository but it's not updated yet in the latest production version I see.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

1 hour ago, Jos said:

Ah.... you are right...  that is indeed the default as it comes with the original source and I only changed it in the full version for now.
I have changed it already last year in our repository but it's not updated yet in the latest production version I see.

Well it could be nice on a widescreen monitor but on a small display having it on the bottom feels much better imho. Maybe you could even implement a function to change it according to the screen size. 

• Developers

Agree, hence the changed default already in the full version and future SciTE lite versions 

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.