Should I replace my laptop battery?

Hello folks.

Now whenever I turn my laptop on, it always says the battery should be replaced with a new one. You know it doesn’t cost cheap so i don't really want to. I keep plugging it in to charge while using it and now I think the battery really reaches its limit. Should I buy a new battery or use my laptop without a battery?

On 12/3/2022 at 12:23 AM, JeffreyAshby said:

Should I buy a new battery or use my laptop without a battery?

As far as I know, it should run without a battery. If it doesn't, it didn't. Then you'll have to get a battery, ....unless,  you are handy with electronics and throw a resistor or two to fake a battery by showing that the battery is full ( by the power delivered by the resistor that lowered the voltage of "full voltage / full charge" fooling the charging circuit ) but if you're not experienced in electronics, better not do that, as you could brake it and have to get a new laptop.

• 4 weeks later...

I still keep 2 "retired" laptops for use from time to time when 3 or 4 computers should work together. Both of them are more than 10 years old and batteries have been flat since long time ago. As far as they are hooked up with external electricity, they work just as expected.

• 2 weeks later...