Word 365 / Microsoft 365 / Office 365

ahha

Go to solution Solved by water,

I have been using Water's excellent Word UDF for years with a local copy of Microsoft Word on the local machine.

My question is regarding Word in Word 365, or Microsoft 365, or Office 365, or whatever Microsoft calls the cloud version now.

Can I use the existing UDF with some modification, or is there a UDF for the cloud, or am I completely misunderstanding how the cloud version works?

I have not yet purchased the cloud version of Word (or MIcrosoft/Office 365) and so have not yet tried coding for it.

Thanks for any assistance.

ahha

"Microsoft 365" (that's the current name as of 2022-12-04, may change ^^) still offers a standard installation of the software on your PC. Seems to work fine :)

Any of my own codes posted on the forum are free for use by others without any restriction of any kind. (WTFPL)

All of my UDFs use COM to interact with MS programs. So they only work with local installations. 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Marc - thanks.  I think that's the version that does not connect to the cloud. 

Water - thanks.  I was afraid that was the case.  Looks like we're going back to the mainframe - terminal model (again :(

Both - Which brings up the question of how one tells if it's the cloud version versus local installation?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Solution

You could try to start the local version of MS Word using function _Word_Create.
If you get @error=1 one of the reasons could be that there is no local installation of MS Word.
Check @extended for the COM error code.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It's based on subscription.

If you have a MS365 Basic it comes with browser only applications for word/excel etc, If you have MS365 Standard it comes with the option to install the classic non-cloud desktop "called premium" applications and they work just like the regular applications.

The premium applications are also connected to the cloud for activation and integration with onedrive / sharepoint so it's easy to work with documents in the cloud.

So basically you have to determine using the control panel  to see if the premium apps are installed search for "Microsoft 365 Apps for business" of whatever it's called in your local language.

• 10 months later...

I've had a similar question before. While the existing Word UDF might work to some extent, there could be limitations with the cloud version due to differences in how it operates. It might be worth trying with a trial version to see how well it adapts or exploring if there are specific UDFs for the cloud version. You can take a course to be a security operations analyst associate; that'll help you navigate it. Good luck!

Edited by Kavynglepner