WHAT LANGUAGE SHOULD I LEARN TO USE AUTOIT?

Hell, I find the autoit tutorials too hard for me. What language does autoit use? I would like to to find out language and buy a book on it so i can learn it and then write scripts.

Thanks,

p.s. sorry for the caps I forgot to it was on, and then forgot to change it.

Edited by learninglangue

Hell, I find the autoit tutorials too hard for me. What language does autoit use? I would like to to find out language and buy a book on it so i can learn it and then write scripts.

Thanks,

p.s. sorry for the caps I forgot to it was on, and then forgot to change it.

I suggest you just use autoit. Start with something basic

$v="here"

msgbox(0,"Title goes here", "messages is " & $v)

Search the forum for basic programs

Windows Admin Scripting Little Black Book (Jesse M. Torres, O'Reilly)

[Jon: The book is focused on VBScript but lots of different languages and scripts are looked at, including a few pages on AutoIt2 and AutoItX]

I suggest you just use autoit. Start with something basic

$v="here"

msgbox(0,"Title goes here", "messages is " & $v)

Search the forum for basic programs

Windows Admin Scripting Little Black Book (Jesse M. Torres, O'Reilly)

[Jon: The book is focused on VBScript but lots of different languages and scripts are looked at, including a few pages on AutoIt2 and AutoItX]

Thank you for your reply. So as i understand there are no books that will help me with autoit3. Does autoit use its own language or is it really similar to another? I could try starting with somehting easy as you said, but I have tried and when it talks about delcaring varibles it kinda throws me off. All these Whiz Kids who use autoit which are amazing at it, how are they capable of that. Did they just study autoit or did they have to leran a language similar and learn the basics?

anyways i am going to search the forum as you said.

Thanks,

i learned VBScript first...that really helped me and the tutorials i found in the help file were good. I also found that looking at other's code helped.

--my two cents

~cdkid

AutoIt Console written in C#. Write au3 code right at the console :D_FileWriteToLineWrite to a specific line in a file.My UDF Libraries: MySQL UDF Library version 1.6 MySQL Database UDF's for AutoItI have stopped updating the MySQL thread above, all future updates will be on my SVN. The svn location is:kan2.sytes.net/publicsvn/mysqlnote: This will still be available, but due to my new job, and school hours, am no longer developing this udf.My business: www.hirethebrain.com Hire The Brain HireTheBrain.com Computer Consulting, Design, Assembly and RepairOh no! I've commited Scriptocide!

Just a bit of clarification here.

AutoIt is its very own language. Unfortunately there are not any published books to my knowledge.

The helpfile is the best helpfile I have seen included in any program I have ever seen. It is absolutely superb.

That tutorial link should really help you out. It walks you through all the basics from there it is just a matter of figuring out what you want to do and then being creative enough to use current functions and/or create your own to get everything done.

If you have any other experience with programming then this will be quite easy. If you dont then maybe learning the basics of variables and functions and basic scripting/coding techniques would be a good start for you as well. (The tutorial walks through this info).

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

The helpfile is the best helpfile I have seen included in any program I have ever seen. It is absolutely superb.

I'll second this acknowledgment, finest I have seen also.

From my experience with helping family and friends, is that they're expectations of what they will achieve off the starting block are set to high.

They want to write full blown apps or utilities, with the minimum amount of knowledge. They know what they want, but they dont know where to start, get frustrated & mostly give up.

Start small, silly things like message boxes & inputs, enter your first name output your surname,address etc.

Just basic small routines, the only person you need to impress is yourself, if you're happy with your little hello world programs etc, then thats good enough to start with.

Keep it small, enjoy the experience, when you enjoy what you do, you absorb what you learn in no time.

Get stuck ask here, include what you have done so far, dont be embarassed. People here will always help if you made some effort yourself.

I wish forums like this existed in my day, instead of relying on dedicated bulletin boards & god forgive newsgroups. Where you would get 1 answer in amongst 50+ flames!.

Keep at it.

HardCopy

Contributions: UDF _DateYearFirstChildren are like Farts, you can just about stand your own.Why am I not a Vegetarian?...Well...my ancestors didn't fight & evolve to the Top of the food chain for me to survive on Salad

I'll second this acknowledgment, finest I have seen also.

From my experience with helping family and friends, is that they're expectations of what they will achieve off the starting block are set to high.

They want to write full blown apps or utilities, with the minimum amount of knowledge. They know what they want, but they dont know where to start, get frustrated & mostly give up.

Start small, silly things like message boxes & inputs, enter your first name output your surname,address etc.

Just basic small routines, the only person you need to impress is yourself, if you're happy with your little hello world programs etc, then thats good enough to start with.

Keep it small, enjoy the experience, when you enjoy what you do, you absorb what you learn in no time.

Get stuck ask here, include what you have done so far, dont be embarassed. People here will always help if you made some effort yourself.

I wish forums like this existed in my day, instead of relying on dedicated bulletin boards & god forgive newsgroups. Where you would get 1 answer in amongst 50+ flames!.

Keep at it.

HardCopy

Thank you for your input. That really makes a difference. I am going to start small and not expect alot from mylself and slowly i will work my way up.

Thanks for the support!

i learned VBScript first...that really helped me and the tutorials i found in the help file were good. I also found that looking at other's code helped.

--my two cents

~cdkid

Thanks, I am going to do trial and error. I am just going to look at peoples scripts and try to understand them piece by piece. Maybe search the web and get some advice on varibles and other things.

Thanks for the advice!

Just a bit of clarification here.

AutoIt is its very own language. Unfortunately there are not any published books to my knowledge.

That tutorial link should really help you out. It walks you through all the basics from there it is just a matter of figuring out what you want to do and then being creative enough to use current functions and/or create your own to get everything done.

If you have any other experience with programming then this will be quite easy. If you dont then maybe learning the basics of variables and functions and basic scripting/coding techniques would be a good start for you as well. (The tutorial walks through this info).

JS

Thanks, I went to that tutorial link and that really broke things down for me which made me understand it.

It is a very good tutorial. Too bad tho it isn't finished, but it is good enough for a start. I think I can manage on my own now.

Thanks on the info,

Thanks alot! that link you gave me to the turtorial really helped me! It just broke everything down which made me able to understand the basics, and then it would slowly introduce more. Too bad it is not finished but it is good enough for a start. I am jujst going to start playing around with little scripts and work my way up.

Thanks alot!

• Developers

dude , i has made 5 tuts , For newbies as you .. wanna ?

don't know why but I am getting curious how your 5 "tuts" look ..... :lmao:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 6 years later...

Dunno if this topic is stil "live", but I have to agree...this is a TOTALY new ( to me at least ) type of programming and LOVE it. With this program, your own capabilities of the way you "think" takes over. I also asked a lot of questions in the beginning, started small, and today I must admit...can write quite powerfull programs with AutoIt....Best "Windows-Manipulative"-program (with all respect)

I have ever used...thanks to Jos and the Team...

Edited by MariusN

A 7 year old thread is definitely dead!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki