Are my AutoIt exes really infected?

• 5 months later...

I'm not a regular contributor here but if the @argumentum digital signing tool works, I think it would be good to add it to the "AutoIt and Malware" page (https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/AutoIt_and_Malware) as well as the "solution" post on this thread.

Edited by gi_jimbo
clarification

Jimbo

Using AutoIt v3.3.14.5 and SciTE version 4.2.0

• 2 months later...

See for example here:
https://www.joesandbox.com/analysis/722827/0/html

and here:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8b7098c44275d0203c23f2ce56c0e913c0d6b6d2264bc537e8a9f0a9f07badc9/community

and here:
https://cuckoo.cert.ee/analysis/3853341/summary/

Maybe it makes sense to mention on the Downloads page and/or Wiki? So people are not getting too frustrated.

Or even reach out (if possible) to at least some of community resources to ask them to whitelist the AutoIt itself, by SHA256 maybe

• Moderators
7 hours ago, 62mkv said:

Maybe it makes sense to mention on the Downloads page and/or Wiki? So people are not getting too frustrated.

Wouldn't curb things as much as you might think. We have tried things like that in the past; there is even an entire thread dedicated to false positives that people see, why the occur, and what to do about them. Yet people continue to post issues they encounter because the don't stop to read. 

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Melba23 changed the title to Are my AutoIt exes really infected?
  • Melba23 pinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Not too sure if this is the kind of feedback this thread is looking for but as of lately I have been getting Windows Defender to flag my executable. This is a exe I have been using for years written entirely by me of course, not even additional UDF's outside of the included functions. Trojan:Win32/Bearfoos.A!ml

image.png.040d04aee0b78289577ed8e05c1cbfb5.png

Edited by kjpolker
Added keywords

• 2 months later...

Hiding an AutoIt GUI with WinSetState Triggers a False Detection

I think I found at least one of the reasons for false detection by Windows Defender. A couple of years ago, I submitted my zPlayer.exe to Microsoft Defender ATP team for malware analysis and they removed the detection. I repeated this process several times whenever I made small changes in the code. After about 10 times of this process, the false detection stopped and I thought  I was, sort of, given a freedom to make whatever changes I wanted. But it abruptly changed recently and Windows Defender statrted to flag my exe again. So I submitted the file again, and they said they had to maintain the detection. I compared the codes of the last previous version, which was not detected, with the current one and I found a clue. My program has video control GUI on top of the video image created by winmm.dll. The current version has a new function to hide the video image including the video control, and I used WinSetState command for both of them. The video image is not my GUI so GUISetState does not work on it anyway. I thought it would be OK to use WinSetState for the video control as well. And that was the mistake. Just out of curiosity I replaced WinSetState with GUISetState for hiding the video control and the false detection stopped. So the lesson I learned is: do not hide an AutoIt GUI with WinSetState.

Edited by CYCho

To follow up with another possible issue I noticed tha triggers false positive is how arrays are formed.

This will trigger false positives,
Local $arrName = ['3G1', '3G2', '3G3', '3G4', '3G5', '3G6', '3G7', '3G8', '3G9']

This does not trigger false positives,
Local $arrName[9] = ['3G1', '3G2', '3G3', '3G4', '3G5', '3G6', '3G7', '3G8', '3G9']

• 2 months later...
Publisher:  Unknown publisher

I think there's a push for having everything "known", as in who made it.
Even corporate PCs will be changed/replaced to those that have TPM. The CPU serial number was rejected by the community but now with all those "data hack/stolen/CallItWhatYouWill", the push, based on fear ( in my view ) to accept a "safe" everything, all it does is to have everything known. Who made it. Who is liable.
That is my conclusion, even tho each aspect have has it's own story line that will clearly toss away what I come to understand as superstition. My 2 cents.

Bottom line, software wise, is to apply an "Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing" or have a high volume of samples running around to ramp up the credit score fame score. Again, my 2 cents.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• Developers
26 minutes ago, argumentum said:

Bottom line, software wise, is to apply an "Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing"

True, but that comes at a cost and I am only willing to provide my time to this and other projects. ;) 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)