Locating a file

Hi guys,

Newbie here, I just found out about Autoit and I'm really excited to see how much easier this will make my life. I'd like to know how I can locate a file on the computer where the script is running. Basically there is a file named xyz.dat on the computer and I need to copy the file abc.dat right in the same folder. So basically I want to find out the path to xyz.dat. I didn't see any Filefind function or anything.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Frank

Hi guys,

Newbie here, I just found out about Autoit and I'm really excited to see how much easier this will make my life. I'd like to know how I can locate a file on the computer where the script is running. Basically there is a file named xyz.dat on the computer and I need to copy the file abc.dat right in the same folder. So basically I want to find out the path to xyz.dat. I didn't see any Filefind function or anything.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Frank

Frank,

Crack open the help file and look up FileFindFirstFile and FileMove

Good luck!

[quote] Gilbertson's Law: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.Sandro Alvares: Flaxcrack is please not noob! i can report you is stop stupid. The Post[/quote]I made this: FWD & MD5PWD()

Yeah I saw those functions, i wasn,t sure what they were doing exactly. The help file is kinda slim on these two. I guess I'll try to use them and see what comes up.

But if anyone as a user-made function that's more newbie friendly I'd like to see it.

thanks

This would probably do it or you could modify it to do it, you'll need the beta version of AutoIT

Search ("C:")

Func Search($current)

Local $search = FileFindFirstFile($current & "\*.*")
    While 1
        Dim $file = FileFindNextFile($search)
        If @error Or StringLen($file) < 1 Then ExitLoop
        If Not StringInStr(FileGetAttrib($current & "\" & $file), "D") And ($file <> "." Or $file <> "..") Then

If  $file = "xyz.dat" then MsgBox (0,"Path to file is ", $current & "\")

EndIf
        If StringInStr(FileGetAttrib($current & "\" & $file), "D") And ($file <> "." Or $file <> "..") Then
            Search($current & "\" & $file)

EndIf
    WEnd
    FileClose($search)

EndFunc
Edited by ChrisL